The Watch Appreciation Thread (Reviews and Photos of Men's Timepieces by Rolex, Patek Philippe, Brei

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by gdl203, May 20, 2007.

Tags:
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Newcomer

Newcomer Senior member

And it is better because the little nib doesn't snap like the cheaply made ones. The cheap ones WILL break.

2. in stitches

in stitches Kung Joo Moderator

this. using anything else can easily scratch the lugs, and even the case if your hand slips. i learned that from experience. :(

3. Cant kill da Rooster

Cant kill da Rooster Senior member

Ok I see. Mine hasn't broken off yet.

I just don't see the physical difference between the cheap ones (which I have) and the one in the link.

4. wqvong

wqvong Senior member

Whats a good watch winder for about 300 dollars?

5. dddrees

dddrees Senior member

I don't use them personally. I don't have any watches with complications so I find them a waste personally.

However if I did I would probably get one of those wolf winders and you can find those for about $100.

I actually recieved two of these for free with a couple of watches I bought, but gave them away.

Orbita also makes some nice ones but these tend to be more expensive. You might find one for about $300.

Last edited: Feb 25, 2013

6. Kaplan

Kaplan Senior member

Singular, I don't know if you still swing by here on occasion, but I just saw a mention of your site in a magazine today. Thought you'd like to know in case you don't already.

[​IMG]

7. in stitches

in stitches Kung Joo Moderator

oh, i was just saying that a tool is what should be used. as opposed to jamming a flat piece of metal in there and using leverage. it can be done, but its not super safe. i did not realize you had a tool. my bad. apologies.

8. Mr. Moo

Mr. Moo Boxercise Toughguy

Guys, any recommendations for a shell cordovan strap for my Omega Speedy Pro? Are the straps the Leffot sells any good? I prefer simple/minimal looking straps without any unnecessary stitching details, etc.

9. dddrees

dddrees Senior member

I don't have any actual experience with them, however I saw a post on another forum where they purchased a Horween Cordovan strap for their Speedy Pro. They said they liked them. Not sure where they got it from, but it can't be that much different because it comes from the same source.

Check here:

http://www.rolexforums.com/showthread.php?t=277197

10. Kaplan

Kaplan Senior member

I have one, and while the leather is fine I'm not particular impressed with the stitching

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

- I think the stitches are too large for a strap of this width and thinness. Stitches of this size may be fine for a chunkier Panerai style strap, but then I think the thread needs to be thicker.

What do you mean by 'unnecessary stitching details'? For me, the straps that best suit a Speedy are the 'classicaly' stitched ones, regardless of leather type. But then I don't like leather NATOs and the like, so YMMV.

11. dddrees

dddrees Senior member

Another option of course would be to get an OEM strap and deployant clasp. I did this when I intially got my watch, I think it cost about $400 if I'm not mistaken.
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Feb 25, 2013

12. apropos

apropos Senior member

A useful trick which not many know about is to use dental floss to remove springbars. Works for all shouldered springbars in addition to the flanged ones. You just thread the floss under and back up and make a loop. Then you pull the loop down diagonally in such a way that the floss catches on the springbar and the springbar pops out.

ddrees, I'm sorry, but the OEM deployant from Omega is IMO not worth the $400... and I say $400 because the OEM Omega leather straps are worthless IMO.

One would be much better off going with a deployant from a maker like RHD or Hirsch and getting a custom made super high quality strap.

The Leffot lined straps are terrible because of their incredibly ugly stitching, but their unlined straps are nice. Do note though that the Leffot 20mm strap tapers quite noticeably (and unattractively/inexplicably) to 16mm.

Last edited: Feb 26, 2013

13. dddrees

dddrees Senior member

You might be right, but it did make it easier for me however when initially buying the watch. It was an all in one package deal.

14. no frills

no frills Senior member

Good info here. I think the straps from Leffot do come in slightly different sizes, but unsure about the range in variation.

There are other, non-watch-related items that tempt me sorely whenever I am at Leffot...

On topic, taking the G&Gs for a spin yesterday along with the 3970:

[​IMG]

Last edited: Feb 26, 2013

15. Kaplan

Kaplan Senior member

I obviously agree on the stitching, but I didn't mind that my 19mm tappered to 16, as it allowed me to pick up

[​IMG]
    (the Mk XV comes on a deployant).

Btw, also found a pic of the Leffot strap showing the Horween stamp and the buckle that comes with it:

[​IMG]

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.