The Watch Appreciation Thread (Reviews and Photos of Men's Timepieces by Rolex, Patek Philippe, Brei

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by gdl203, May 20, 2007.

Tags:
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ant702

ant702 Senior member

I agree, lets not venture there[​IMG]

2. no frills

no frills Senior member

Taji in NYC (675 Madison between 61st and 62nd streets). Love their work. Tried out a couple of other tailors before them and was reasonably happy, but their stuff really worked for me and I've stuck with them through my wardrobe overhaul over the last year or so. They're very well known in Turkey and around Europe but only started their US business a few years ago. No advertising that I know of, all word of mouth; they were featured in the Nov/Dec issue of Departures though:

[​IMG]

I'm all of 5'7" but I used to top the scales at 210 back when I pretended I had a shot at Mr Olympia. Started cutting down to more human, healthier proportions about two and a half years ago so I've weighed in at 170 for about a year (that kind of weight loss does require some change in clothing, I'm sure that's SF-appropriate). Chest at 42" and waist at 31", inseam around 29" or 30". But since I'm not very tall I'm still rather bulky for my height, and if I bought RTW jackets I'd go "short" given my stubby arms.

Taji has made all sorts of stuff for me: suits, shirts, topcoats, jeans. Small plus is that he knows his watches (he's wearing an AP in the pic above) - hehe.

Last edited: Feb 25, 2013

3. dddrees

dddrees Senior member

Very nice, great looking strap too.

4. no frills

no frills Senior member

Thanks, and hope you had a great ski trip! The 3970 was indeed NOS, and came in at less than the price I thought I'd have to shell out for this reference (which is why I ended up frontloading the purchase). It came with the solid caseback first, but I had Patek USA (Henri Stern in NYC) switch it out to the display back as I like staring at it from behind!

Wifey quite appreciated the advanced anniversary gift. Wondering if I should have waited till June before I gave it to her, but, eh, I'm not good at that waiting thing, as you might have noticed...

+1 here. Could spend more on other baubles, I suppose, but even for my family I like focusing on trips and experiences.

5. mimo

mimo Pernicious Enabler

Good call. I feel the same about my girlfriend. And your watch.

6. Cylon

Cylon Senior member

7. notwithit

notwithit Pullup laureate

Sorry if this is the wrong thread, but I'm hoping someone can help me out with a question:

I want to swap out the watch strap that came with my Seiko 5 for a NATO strap. I'm having trouble removing the springbars, however. I've tried depressing them with my fingernail, and I've tried using the tip of a screwdriver from an eyeglasses repair kit, but I can't get them to pop out.

Any suggestions? Or do I need to take this to a jeweler to get them cut and replaced?

If it helps, it's this model: http://www.amazon.com/Seiko-SNK807-Automatic-Canvas-Strap/dp/B006CHML4I

8. Cylon

Cylon Senior member

9. in stitches

in stitches Kung Joo Moderator

:slayer:
    thanks, man!! belated purim sameach wishes to you as well!! (its still shushan purim, so it counts. :) )

10. Newcomer

Newcomer Senior member

+1 to this. The bergeon tool is the bees knees. Do not cheap out and get the less expensive springbar tools, you will regret it later!

11. dddrees

dddrees Senior member

Agree.

Don't need to be marking up your watch unecessarily.

Just make sure you get the right size as well.

12. mimo

mimo Pernicious Enabler

Doesn't look like a prawn sandwich. What?

13. Cant kill da Rooster

Cant kill da Rooster Senior member

What's the difference? Why is it better?

14. dddrees

dddrees Senior member

If you get the correct tool, you can remove the springbar easier with less chance of scratching up the lugs of your watch.

15. MSchott

MSchott Active Member

Bergeon is a better quality tool in every way and will be easier to use. Also, if you are worried about scratching your lugs, tape them first.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.