The Watch Appreciation Thread (Reviews and Photos of Men's Timepieces by Rolex, Patek Philippe, Brei

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by gdl203, May 20, 2007.

Tags:
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. DLJr

DLJr TWAT Master.

I was the same way with my cuffs, started with no allowance and then changed as I started building an extremely modest collection. Bespoke shirts trapped me when I got addicted to a collar from Ercoles; life will never be the same haha.

But anyway, a watch as special as yours deserves its own set of shirts right? Haha.

2. no frills

no frills Senior member

+1 for bespoke shirts especially for bodies like mine that are "RTW-challenged." It's not even that expensive given my relationship with my tailor: Thomas Pink sells RTW shirts for a higher price if they didn't have a sale going on!

On the plus side, my shirts have that convertible button which I can turn "outside-in" to transform it into French cuffs. When I wear cuff links there's a bit more allowance and the 3970 slips in quite fine, though still not as smooth as silk.

I suppose this is my excuse to get a new set of shirts, or trash my current set a bit faster hah hah! Or maybe wear no cuffs:

[​IMG]

3. Axelman 17

Axelman 17 Senior member

Yup, the Ercoles collar is spectacular. Up to 10 or so shirts from Frank.

4. dddrees

dddrees Senior member

Just so we can get back to watches. LOL

I'll be wearing this one tomorrow.

[​IMG]

5. no frills

no frills Senior member

Very nice. Do you like rotating across watches on a daily basis?

Posted this in another forum earlier and thought it would be worth sharing here. PP Nautilus 5711/1A side by side with Rolex Daytona 116520:

[​IMG]

From the front it actually "looks" like the Nautilus is "larger" or "wider," which conforms to Belligero's assessment earlier in this thread of the 116520's case measuring in at 38.5mm (without the crowns). The 5711, on the other hand, supposedly comes in at 43mm ear to ear.

But check how different they look from the side, once you compare height (for both the case, and bracelet thickness):

[​IMG]

Nautilus is on the side and seems much thinner, 'no? Consistent with many comments of how "thin" the 5711 feels on the wrist. Arguable that the Daytona has a more rugged presence because of this.

Both have their charms and uses and am fortunate to have both in my collection!

6. dddrees

dddrees Senior member

Yes I do actually, I hardly ever wear the same watch two days in a row.

Great pictures, and fabulous watches. Of course I saw these earlier today on the other forum.

Last edited: Feb 24, 2013

7. Newcomer

Newcomer Senior member

If you don't mind me asking Frills, who does your shirts / suits? Also, what are your proportions?

8. Belligero

Belligero Senior member

[​IMG] Looks like I missed a major arrival while I was off skiing last week. An old-school Patek perpetual-calendar chrono with moonphase!? That's some rather heavy artillery. But considering how serious a complicated Patek can be, this one isn't lacking for character or liveliness at all . The 36 mm case, those lovely pump pushers and its generally charming looks make it even cooler and more appealing. Good choice with the classic 18K YG to complement the white-metal ones you already have, too! It really works with the more understated case size. Your 3970 appears to be in NOS condition; that's an amazing find. I love that there's even a solid caseback included for bonus style points. Colossally sweet watch. Nice little something you picked up for the wife, too! [​IMG]

9. Veremund

Veremund Senior member

Wow, I feel fat and lazy now! :brick:

10. NonServiam

NonServiam Senior member

In my eyes, this is the only way to go. A car is just tomorrow's nails and scrap. A PP is tomorrow's inheritance.

I try to live a frugal life myself, I have a modest income and a simple lifestyle as a dad and geek. Less work, more free time. Fewer possessions, more experiences. Watches are my passion, and there I splurge like a madman.

I see too many people trying to GQ everything in their life. Some can afford to do that, without sacrificing the more important things. Most of us cannot.

Last edited: Feb 25, 2013

11. NonServiam

NonServiam Senior member

Oh yes. The Nautilus is strangely flat on the wrist, like no other bracelet watch I've tried. The Daytona feels much more like a real sports watch. "Rugged", though? Nah :)

I love them both, super watches!

12. Belligero

Belligero Senior member

Ah, nothing like getting outdoors and putting stuff to use.

It was a pleasure to use this as a ski watch:

[​IMG]

While a digital alti-baro-compass watch would provided more features and buttons to play with, I appreciated having an off-piste adventure with a watch that was made in the same year that I was. Besides, it's still well-suited and plenty tough for the job.

I'm sure this man would have been very proud to know that an example of the 1500-series movement that he helped to design is still keeping (very) accurate time and flawlessly performing its intended job nearly sixty years after it was originally drafted:

[​IMG]

Irrational though it may be, I do gain a small extra measure of enjoyment from using these bits of steel and brass while I'm going places and doing things.

13. mimo

mimo Pernicious Enabler

Can't argue with that. :)

14. Belligero

Belligero Senior member

I reckon those would behoove the wearing of your new watch just fine!
    The Daytona was plenty rugged for a few ski days, too! Despite all the polished surfaces, it's no prima donna, and it was gratifying (in a very watch-nerd way) to time a few runs with the chrono. OK, maybe "rugged" isn't exactly the mot juste, but it's nonetheless an extremely capable machine, as I'm sure you know!
    I totally get placing a higher priority on a watch over a car for city life, too. In a lot of ways, the responsibility and obligation of storing, maintaining and operating a car limits your freedom, while a good watch is something you can take with you anywhere. Depreciation-wise, it makes more sense to splurge on a good watch instead of a costly car. You can have anything you want, but you can't have everything you want.

15. apropos

apropos Senior member

Actually I think there is a useful parallel between watches and cars... like watches you will make a loss on most cars except those at the very top end!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.