The Watch Appreciation Thread (Reviews and Photos of Men's Timepieces by Rolex, Patek Philippe, Brei

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by gdl203, May 20, 2007.

Tags:
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. in stitches

in stitches Kung Joo Moderator

:nodding:

thanks, buddy! its a new camera (for me) a canon 20d with an awesome macro lens. bought it from fellow SFer, dcg.

2. Dino944

Dino944 Senior member

Interesting, but short sighted. Yes, most watches on this thread are mass produced. I'm not sure I've seen a single one off piece or completely hand made watch on this forum. However, this is a thread about watch appreciation. We all have different favorites, differing opinions, and maybe we come to completely different conclusions about a brand or watch, but we are here because we appreciate watches.

GD was certainly a great watchmaker. I greatly value a brand or watchmaker's contributions to the world of watches and even among companies that mass produce watches there have been great achievements such as designs that can be used for deep sea diving, designs that are wound by a 1 degree change in temperature, and designs that can keep track of time and celestial bodies.

There is a time and place for mass produced watches, diving, rugged sports, exploring dangerous environments or just because we like them. While I appreciate hand workmanship, there are tolerances achieved, new materials developed to make watch cases, and or movements and their components, and ideas brought to life as a result of watchmakers having new technology, computers, and machinery. While it is probably rare for a watchmaker to make a watch completely by hand, doing so probably results many limitations.

Best regards,
    Dino

3. dddrees

dddrees Senior member

There still are those which are painstakingly but lovingly finished by hand. I used to marvel at these examples. That is until tonight when I found horology had died.

Last edited: Feb 21, 2013
  4. Newcomer

Newcomer Senior member

The dayyyy that horology diiiieeeed.

We were singing? :rimshot:

5. dddrees

dddrees Senior member

[​IMG]

Last edited: Feb 21, 2013
  6. in stitches

in stitches Kung Joo Moderator

it will all be ok in the morning. dont leave us!

aaahahahhahahaha :lol:

7. NonServiam

NonServiam Senior member

Very cool, nofrills! Watches are usually not quite as much in focus as our wrist shots would like to portray, they usually just peek out from under our clothes :)

Here a low light iPhone pic my GF took at one of our dinner dates not long ago:

[​IMG]

8. apropos

apropos Senior member

Hahahahaha!

No frills, just realised I haven't yet congratulated you on your new PP... Congratulations! It's beautiful! :)

9. no frills

no frills Senior member

Is that to the tune of American Pie? I suppose so.....[​IMG]

10. DLJr

DLJr TWAT Master.

No sure how all the anger got started, but if you weed through it, there is an interesting discussion there and something new to the thread.

Frills, glad to see you putting the watch to good use so soon. Looks like you could use a new batch of shirts with a bigger left cuff though.

11. mimo

mimo Pernicious Enabler

Funny, I've been talking about how this is the most friendly, civilised and intellectually stimulating thread on the forum. Then this. Still, it's an amusing diversion, especially when Stitchy gets pissed because he's funny.

Now I'll just go back to looking at Frilly's new watch, and hoping his money laundering business can keep up with his new "habit". [​IMG]

12. jeff13007

jeff13007 Senior member

Actually most of the recent ones have been of watches which are NOT ETA movements. But then again I'm a watch newbie. How about you show us examples of "the finest craftsmanship" from your own collection?

13. no frills

no frills Senior member

Hey, this is a great pic! Looking cool, man!

14. no frills

no frills Senior member

Thank you, apropos. It's really something to appreciate, and I feel fortunate to be able to wear it. Now to resist the temptation to wear it all the time versus giving wrist time to my other babies too... oh heck, I'll wear it for a few days straight hehe.[​IMG]

15. no frills

no frills Senior member

There has certainly been a bit more heat in the recent discussions. As for the money laundering business, it has taken a serious, close to fatal hit from this recent purchase. We shall see, however, if this truly is the "end game"....... [​IMG]

DLJr, you are right. The 3970 is taller than most of my other watches (except possibly the Daytona). The others slip quite comfortably in my cuffs (the 3940 is always a joy to wear because of this).

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.