1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

The Watch Appreciation Thread (Reviews and Photos of Men's Timepieces by Rolex, Patek Philippe, Brei

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by gdl203, May 20, 2007.

Tags:
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. no frills

no frills Senior member

Very awesome history here, thanks for the share from the original TWAT creator.

Watch-related pic: Floyd Mayweather, Jr captured in this month's Maxim magazine (admittedly I might have obtained a copy because Ronda Rousey is on the cover) shopping for bling at a place in NYC's diamond district that I frequent often for watch-window-shopping. Also, wearing 5040 in yellow gold today.

[​IMG]

And since I've gone somewhat off-topic, here's a pic of official TWAT princess Kate Upton in the September issue of Elle - looking hot with a book!

[​IMG]

2. Dino944

Dino944 Senior member

Love the Lume shots guys! Great photos!
    Blancpain makes a great quality watch, but something about them just doesn't do anything for me. I used to have 2 local dealers always offering great deals on them because they couldn't give them away. The quality is there, but the only model that even remotely interests me is the 50 Fathoms, and then once I consider its price, there are other watches I'd rather have. Still, its always fun trying on something different.

1 person likes this.
  3. Dino944

Dino944 Senior member

Great photo! I bet your B&R/Sinn could tell a lot of stories if it could talk. Looks fantastic after 15 years, the aged lume is very cool!

4. gdl203

gdl203 Senior member Dubiously Honored Affiliate Vendor

:fu:

2 people like this.
  5. DerekS

DerekS Senior member

agreed 100%......when you get into their MSRP or even discounted asking prices...theres too many other watches id rather have.

1 person likes this.
  6. in stitches

in stitches Senior member Moderator

its a shame really, because they make some great looking watches.

7. rnguy001

rnguy001 Senior member

Agree about BP. In fact it seems to be the overwhelming consensus. Quality is definitely there but at their price points, competition is just too damn stiff.

Stitch - Those GP's are LOVELY. Sadly, I hear GP suffers on resale value just as you have mentioned, but their designs and quality seem to indicate they would be a good value if bought used. What size is the men's model?

8. Hayward

Hayward Senior member

I don't get the whole aged tritium thing. I'm very happy with the service dial on my Sub.

[​IMG]

9. in stitches

they were gawjus. the mens model was 41mm.

the mens model i actually probably could have bought from the customer. the offer was not what he wanted, but there is enough demand for it that my offer would have been amenable to him. the killer was the ladies watch.

he only wanted to sell them as a pair, and based on my experience, and after contacting an expert i call on in my network, i could only have offered 15 to 20 cents on the dollar for the ladies watch. its a hard pill to swallow taking 2k on a 20k watch, especially as it was in BNIB condition, and he couldnt do it, and i understand that. he might be back once he sees that no one else outside of a private buyer will pay him any more than i could. we shall see.

10. Dino944

Dino944 Senior member

GP makes a very nice watch, but its another brand without any resale value. That may not matter to some people, but I'm sure it matters to this guy now that he is selling. I actually like GP's designs far more that those of BP, but its another brand that when you consider its MSRP (or even a discounted price), there are often many other brand's I'd prefer to own, and most have much better resale value. I really like their Equation of Time, with the asymmetric dial, but I just couldn't pull the trigger on it based on the competition at its price level (even if it meant getting a less complicated piece from a different brand at same price).

My only issue is the round men's model is when I see the back, it looks like another watch suffering from using a movement that was designed for a smaller case, but which has been put in a larger more modern case. If they do that, IMHO give it a solid back.
    I'm all about originality so I wouldn't buy a watch with a service dial. Just me, and I'm like that with everything. However, if you paid the right price and you are happy with it that is what matters.

11. DerekS

DerekS Senior member

^^ I remember years ago reading about a guy on the rolex forum that sent his vintage 5513 in for a service...had a gorgeous patina'd dial...when he got it back, it had a brand new dial. Man, i honestly think id kill someone for fucking up my watch like that.

12. DerekS

DerekS Senior member

anymore shots of that NATO? looks damn nice.

13. in stitches

good points as always, dino. the only thing that i dont fully agree on is the back. the smaller movement does not really bother me all that much, and with a pretty movement as this watch had, i would opt to be able to see it, even though it is clearly smaller than the case size should dictate.

but what i really want to focus on is the bold, because it hits on something i was wondering today.

the guy that i met with was probably in his late 50s, well spoken, and probably made some money and wanted to buy a nice watch for himself and his wife, and walked into an AD and decided on the GPs. now, you never know, he could have been strapped for cash, but i doubt it. i can usually read that from experience and dont think that was the case here.

he simply said the watches were not getting any wear, which was certainly true, they looked like they were never worn, and he had a much more casual vibe, he was relaxed and southern from the carolinas, than id expect from someone with that model watch. though you can never tell these things, i do think it just turned out it wasnt the model for him and his wife, and he decided to sell.

but i think many times, maybe most times, that does not happen. meaning, the buyer never needs or desires to sell their watch. a person goes into an AD looking for a luxury watch, does not really know a ton about high end watches, and does not really want to or need to, which is fine. such a person probably would explain to an AD what they wanted, in terms of style and price, and wold be be led to a handful of models by the SA, and then choose from that lot. maybe they even they did a little homework online too, but nothing terribly in depth. this type of buyer is not concerned with resale on the secondary market, and is equally unconcerned about the hierarchy or prestige of brands amongst high end watches. they just want something fancy and luxurious that they like and can afford. and thats what they get.

they say ignorance is bliss, and i wonder how happy we would all be if we bought our watches like that. not based on MSRPs of other brands versus the watch we like, or based on resale vale or prestige of maker, just solely based on what we liked for looks.

if you did that, do you think you would have the same watches in your stable, or do you think you would have something else?

im not saying that this would prove we make bad decisions or are untrue to ourselves. quite the opposite, i think the way we look at watches here in the TWAT is great, and id never want it any other way. its a different type of vantage point with different objectives and desires, and its just as fair and sensible as the less concerned/informed buyer. there is no wrong answer or wrong way to make ones personal purchase decisions. i just wonder if our decisions would be the same if we took some of our more nuanced bullet points of our lists.

ill try and answer this for myself later, but i need to mull it over more to give an intellectually honest answer.

2 people like this.
  14. mimo

mimo Senior member

Great post, Stitchy. I will be interested to see your and others' expert analysis.

I don't have much to contribute in this respect, as I don't really have a collection or anything like your knowledge. But it's an interesting philosophical argument - do we want to know things that might inevitable lead us to be dissatisfied, or would we every just choose to remain in the dark? I'm one of those that just has to lift the curtain when I can. Even if I know it's going to be painful.

On another point, further to my BP post (and I agree, they were nice, but something is just not special enough for a top - priced, that is - brand), I have been tyre-kicking shamelessly all day in "The World's Largest Shopping Mall" and have seen and held many wonders and delights (to me at least!). I'm not sure if it might bore or irritate such a learned group, especially given the crappy pictures,but I think I will report in more detail tomorrow. The process of doing this has led me to a mixture of confirming and confounding what I thought I did and didn't like in the watch world. Which I suppose goes back to Stitchy's point: so yeah, I always want to know more. Even if I then realise I've been a dick.

Tyre-Kicker's Diary - to be continued....

Last edited: Aug 27, 2013
    2 people like this.
  15. Newcomer

Newcomer Senior member

I look forward to said tire-kicking diary. I <3 tire-kicking. Response to stitchy is on its way.

16. Flake

Flake Senior member

Panerai is well known for doing that as well. I'm afraid to send in my 170 for fear I will lose my nicely aged hands and dial even though it is overdue for lube and the bezel could use a little snugging

17. Hayward

Hayward Senior member

I'm all for patina so long as it doesn't get in the way of functionality. Remember "Pizza Face."

[​IMG]

But yes, if I had a 5513 I'd want to keep the matte dial. If I buy another Rolex it'll likely be a 1675 or 5512 - again, service dial, head only. More functional, more versatile, and you save buck to boot.

I got the perlon NATO from Holben's.

2 people like this.
  18. DerekS

DerekS Senior member

one of the nicest NATOs ive seen. gotta check those out.

19. Kaplan

Kaplan Senior member

Timefactors (where I got my few NATO & RAF straps) used to have a similar one (scroll down, it's #5 on the page), but sadly it's been unavailable for some time. I've been meaning to pick up a few different straps from TF, but since I'm in no real hurry I've been waiting, hoping for the tropical to be relisted.

(If anyone happens to see it back up or know of another reputable euro source for perlon/tropical straps, please feel free to share...)

1 person likes this.
  20. Keith T

Keith T Senior member

mimo: bring on the pics!

stitchy: interested to see where you're going with this....but yes, I do agree that ignorance can be blissful at times.

Perhaps the trick is in how one handles the "blessing" of accumulated horological knowledge.....and not allowing it to become a curse.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.