1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

The Watch Appreciation Thread (Reviews and Photos of Men's Timepieces by Rolex, Patek Philippe, Brei

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by gdl203, May 20, 2007.

Tags:
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. in stitches

in stitches Senior member Moderator

today i leaned something new and startling.

late model daytonas, not sure beginning what year, do not have the serial number engraved between the lugs. its only on the inner bezel ring. i almost had a heart attack before i verified that fact.

2. DerekS

DerekS Senior member

not sure exactly when that stopped but it was recently...the DeepSea Dweller was the first to have that engraved on the rehaut.

3. in stitches

right now i think pretty much all models have the serial number inside the bezel, visible to the naked eye. do you know of any other models that have no serial number engraving between the lugs? the late model ones i have seen have both between the lugs and inside the bezel.

4. DerekS

DerekS Senior member

not sure. Im fairly certain my GMT IIc has it betwixt the lugs and at 6 on the rehaut....maybe its only on the deepsea and daytonas? honestly i have no idea though.

5. in stitches

cool. ill have to investigate!

6. Keith T

Keith T Senior member

'Sup

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

3 people like this.
  7. in stitches

ill tell you whats up. :nodding:

1 person likes this.
  8. NonServiam

NonServiam Senior member

What does a fool spend his money on besides watches?

Books about watches.

Received the Rolex Submariner Story by Mondani today. Beast of a book, even compared to the equally excellent GMT-Master book that I already have. I won't say that they are absolute necessities for Rolex collectors, most of the info is available online (and certainly in the way more affordable mobile apps from Mondani). But they are very, very nice :embar: And that is enough.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Got inspired and dug out the Redsub for the occation :slayer:

[​IMG]

4 people like this.
  9. dddrees

dddrees Senior member

Whoa, great books for sure.

Luv the Red Sub, very nice..

Last edited: Aug 23, 2013
  10. no frills

no frills Senior member

Up, up and away!

11. wurger

wurger Senior member

12. Dino944

Dino944 Senior member

Niiiiice....sounds like the trip to St. Thomas pays for part of the Black/Blue GMT [​IMG]
    So sad that some SAs just don't get it, and treat future customers like a waste of their time. If it weren't for customers, and future customers the stores wouldn't need SAs. When I was a SA at a high end clothing store, I always enjoyed waiting on people. Showing people great items, interacting with them, and helping them see possible ways to enhace their wardrobe, It sure beat the heck out of straightening items on a quiet day. I always find going and seeing great SAs are like seeing great friends. You always look forward to stopping by to see them, and they make you feel welcome, treat you like a good friend, show you cool things whether you are there to buy that day or not, and seeing you is never a waste of their time.

I believe you have to declare the items when you come back to the states.
    She's HOT!!! But I hope the wrist shot is your wrist and not hers [​IMG]
    Fantastic books. Yes, you can get the info on the net, but there is something about having some great watch reference books. Now you just need the Daytona Book to complete the Trilogy.

1 person likes this.
  13. ChicagoRon

ChicagoRon Senior member

I'd like to say this Hodinkee article on the RL Khaki vindicates me, but it doesn't really... I'm still not ashamed I liked the watch, but I didn't buy one, so I guess I didn't like it that much. The comments section reads a lot like the TWAT reaction to my saying I liked it when I saw it in person.

http://www.hodinkee.com/blog/hands-...-safari-chronometer-live-pics-details-pricing

In other news... tried on a Gray Pano-Lunar today.... almost certainly my next purchase, and probably within a year. I'm a little smitten.

14. DLJr

DLJr Senior member

Awesome watch, I fully endorse and encourage this.

2 people like this.
  15. in stitches

THIS!!

16. RogerP

RogerP Senior member

It's a beautiful watch - just gorgeous, really. I had one in hand that was offered at an exceptional price and it nearly became mine. Alas, I have a new rule that I will not permit myself to break: any new watch must be easily legible without resort to reading glasses. The small subdial for hour / minutes combined with the low contrast between the hands and the grey dial just blew this one up as a purchase option. And I was very disappointed, because I had seen any number of web pics where the hands really seemed to pop. Oh well, for those with better eyes than mine, I heartily endorse this watch.

17. no frills

no frills Senior member

Yes, you have to declare items you purchased when you leave St Thomas to go back to the mainland. You're allowed up to $1,600 of duty-free purchases per person (so for a family of four that's $6,400). The jewelers I spoke to said "the customs agents usually don't give you a hard time" but I don't really know what that means: if I got the BLNR for $8,550 would they charge me for part of it that's above the $8,200 I was allowed (there were five of us in the family traveling at the time)? Will they just wave me through?

Alas, no BLNR for me this time around. It was a lovely piece, tried it on the wrist. The blue/black bezel really pops. But - believe it or not - I exercised some decent willpower not just for myself but also for the wife: I've been thinking of getting her either an Everose Daytona and had her try on an all-platinum 218206 Day-Date. Jayzus what heft! And check out the discount: US retail price of about $60,000... offered by AH Riise at just slightly above $50,000. I mean, that's a larger discount than the asking price from some gray dealers I've seen around!

But - not for us this time around. Enjoying the current collection and no real deep hankering that's driven me to get a next piece. We did, however, buy some earrings for our daughters (and OK, my wife got some earrings herself hehe).

Nuke - adding to everyone else's comments around here: that's unacceptable behavior. Horrible. The SAs I spoke to in St Thomas were all very kind and professional, even though I walked in wearing a shirt, shorts and flip flops, sweating profusely from the heat and humidity. Sorry, stitchy, I didn't bring any G&Gs or Corthays with me on this trip, although I might have looked slightly odd wearing them with flip flops.

Of course the Rolex/AH Riise SA did immediately notice my 5711. So hard to discount behavior based on that. However, I suspect SAs in the Caribbean ought to be used to tourists walking in dressed really casually - can't really tell how much they'd spend based on how they're dressed!

On another note, my almost-four year old likes Dad's watches and shoes. The bracelet may need to be resized somewhat but I dare say she can carry off the 5711 in this pic. The boat shoes are a little bit big though.

[​IMG]

3 people like this.
  18. Cylon

Cylon Senior member

SHES EVEN DOING YOUR POSE!!! [​IMG]

1 person likes this.
  19. no frills

no frills Senior member

AHAHAHA I didn't even notice that. Guess she's really mine! [​IMG]

20. Cylon

Cylon Senior member

I had one such experience with a JLC AD in DC (hows that for acronym soup?). The man was quite condescending, explaining the differences between quartz, automatic and manual as if I was 5 years old. When I took a stroll around the floor to the other cases he kept not so discreetly directing me back to Frederique Constant, Tag Heuer and Maurice Lacroix. Nothing wrong with those brands, but I'm not sure why you're making assumptions about me based on my age/appearance.

I won't go back with my MUT Moon on display, but I will ALWAYS tell people to avoid them like the plague. Karma. Plain and simple.

I would rather deal with my local AD in the tysons corner area. They let me try on anything and that includes Lange and Patek, even though I tell them up front its just to drool. They graciously oblige. Karma is also at play there too because thats where I ended up buying my JLC.

Just like Newcomer said, what goes around comes around.

Last edited: Aug 25, 2013
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.