The Watch Appreciation Thread (Reviews and Photos of Men's Timepieces by Rolex, Patek Philippe, Brei

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by gdl203, May 20, 2007.

Tags:
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. tchoy

tchoy Senior member

Congrats no frills on a stunning watch! This would be the end game for me if I had one.

2. Newcomer

Newcomer Senior member

Also, I congratulated Frills, but great pictures Stitch! You make that Panerai look absolutely delicious. I am going to be sure to not post any of my own watches for at least 10 pages :).

3. in stitches

in stitches Kung Joo Moderator

please tell me they are insured, or that you are POSITIVE they are covered under your homeowners policy in full.

:embar: thanks, man! i appreciate you saying that.

but you can still post pics. or like i offered frills, send them to me and i will take pics for you. :devil:

4. Dino944

Dino944 Senior member

I'm in RI...so east coast and a few states north of you. Yea...I don't usually travel for Purim either.
    I don't think they travel well, but if you show up in costume [​IMG] you are more than welcome to have your fill of them
    +1
    I'd probably go through new watch withdrawl symptoms...which I hear can only cured by wearing the watch or purchaseing another.

5. Dino944

Dino944 Senior member

I buy what I like, but I have generally avoided watches with ETA movements. ETA makes good reliable products. However, I have trouble getting past the feeling that if I buy something with an ETA movement, I am buying a case to hold a movement often found in far less expensive watches. Yes, the finish and case might be better if its in a $5,500 ETA powered watch vs a $2,000 ETA powered watch...but it would still bother me. Thats just my own issue with ETA movements, but I respect that different watches fit different needs and tastes, and even if a watch isn't for me it doesn't mean its not a good choice for someone else. There are still a few older ETA powered IWCs I might like to own someday if I ever get over my aversion to ETA movements.

Last edited: Feb 21, 2013
  6. in stitches

ah, well, a freilechen purim! hopefully we can get together one of these days!

:nodding:

7. MZhammer

MZhammer Senior member

My recent pickup!
    RGM Equation of Time model 22
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

8. in stitches

i REALLY like that.

9. Dino944

Dino944 Senior member

Congrats! Nice choice, I'm sure you will enjoy it.

10. johanm

johanm Senior member

Thanks for elaborating on your views on movements Dino. On the question of quartz, a results-oriented view on movements doesn't require one to prefer quartz watches. Just because one doesn't place much value on the artisanal craftsmanship aspect of watchmaking doesn't mean he can't appreciate the solution of interesting problems within clearly defined parameters that is the basis of the mechanical watchmaking enterprise. Personally I aspire to a pragmatic and results-oriented (forward-thinking?) approach to both clothes tailoring and watch movements, so tend to be less impressed by endeavors to complicate either for the sake of exclusivity or symbolizing labor/effort, neither of which have much value to me. That's not to discount the value of aesthetics and ornamentation - I of course recognize that a certain amount of pleasure can come when one looks at the display back of his watch from time to time. Likewise I'm not advocating a formulaic calculation for evaluating watches (x, y, z potential points for movement, dial, case, etc.) - clearly our favorite watches are the ones that appeal intuitively.
    Outstanding piece, pure class. Many congrats!
    Respectfully I think you've misunderstood the topic I'm discussing with Dino. I'm defending a functionalist/pragmatist criteria for evaluating movements against Dino's romantic approach. Don't really disagree with most points in your post, though some are so facile that I'd be embarrassed to make them myself.

Last edited: Feb 21, 2013
  11. JonF

JonF Senior member

WOW!! Simply perfect. I would love to see a group shot of your Pateks. You have too of my favourites in the 3940 and 3970.

12. Dino944

Dino944 Senior member

I guess if one has as you've described a results oriented view of a movement, what is wrong with a quartz movement? Its simple, more accurate, often less expensive, and more technologically advanced than mechanical movements which have been around for hundreds of years.

You previously suggested the reason people get so interested in watch movements is to inject intellectualism into the subject. At least for me its due to an appreciation of workmanship, exclusivity, and maybe history. However if one is mostly focused on end results, is it accurate and reliable ...then why would one consider any of the higher end brands? Simply for design? A Rolex, Omega, Breitling, or IWC will give you the time, are accurate, reliable and should satisfy one's appreciation of solving the problem of how to tell time. Much of how Patek, VC, AP and Lange are marketed and sold is based on quality, workmanship, tradition, history, and exclusivity (and thats often just when talking about their movements...not the overall brand). If you take those away (from the movement or the brand) are you merely left with the overall appearance as the criteria of what to buy?

The appreciation of solving a problem within parameters as a way of choosing a watch sounds rather robotic. However, if one considers why one appreciates that, isn't it because at some point someone used labor/effor/intelligence to devise a way to tell time with a mechanical device...so does that not then go back toward some appreciation of history and a romantic notion of skilled craftsman figuring out how to make a clock or watch run?

Your end results purchasing idea is interesting, but without any interest in the finish, history/tradition, exclusivity, etc., which are factors that play on our emotions, it does make me wonder why one would buy a high end watch when an average watch (be it mechanical or quartz) can essentially do the same job.

13. johanm

johanm Senior member

Dino - I do view watches primarily as design objects (not art) and would identify design as the feature that most stimulates my interest and "emotion" with respect to watches, with "design" encompassing dial/case aesthetics, functions, accuracy, reliability, and possibly the exterior aesthetics of the movement if the watch has a display back. Why buy a "higher end brand"? The main reason would be superior design. Take the 3970 posted above - beautiful dial/case and a compact perpetual calendar/chrono movement that represents great technical achievement. If Seiko put out a Grand Seiko perp calendar chrono with a similarly beautiful dial/case, I could very well prefer it to the Patek, and I wouldn't be influenced by branding, history, tradition, joining a "club", exclusivity, artisanal blood/sweat/tears, etc. Don't believe that prioritizing design/aesthetics over that stuff makes this approach more robotic or less emotional.

Going back to quartz, I just don't find the problem of building an accurate/reliable/beautiful quartz watch to be as interesting as building a mechanical watch with the same characteristics. Would love to have an Ikepod hourglass on my desk, however, and would be interested in any other examples of creatively designed modern hourglasses.

14. TheWraith

TheWraith Senior member

+1 Johanm.

15. Lovelace

Lovelace Senior member

Most modern watches are about jewellery not craftsmanship. Most incorporate mass produced movements.

The last true horological craftsman died a few years back. The last of his kind.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.