The Watch Appreciation Thread (Reviews and Photos of Men's Timepieces by Rolex, Patek Philippe, Brei

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by gdl203, May 20, 2007.

Tags:
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. apropos

apropos Senior member

Hmm whnay, not sure if you know this but watches winders are a bit of a rort, a solution to an invented problem.

Unless, of course, the watch in question is a perpetual calendar. ;)

This. Absolutely. 100%.

I've said before that watches are an emotional purchase, despite our (often vain) attempts at rationalising them.

You have to find a keeper, the same way you look for a life partner. I must admit I do somewhat judge people who constantly are flipping watches. You guys know the sort... I guess it's the same as meeting someone who you find out is six times divorced! :devil:

BTW Dino944, sure you're not going to reconsider not being reverso ebuddies with me? I may or may not have one on the way... :slayer:

Last edited: Feb 20, 2013
  2. Cylon

Cylon Senior member

I will have to be a reverso buddy sooner or later [​IMG]

3. Kaplan

Kaplan Senior member

[​IMG]

?

4. ThatGuy

ThatGuy Senior member

I am guilty of paying MSRP for one of my watches. It was just impossible to find this particular model at that time and I really wanted it. Am I am snob? No, I just wanted to have it - I know paying full price goes against SF rules:satisfied:

With regards to in-house vesus ETA, I couldn't care less. Give me a well machined case and a perfect dial and I'm a very happy customer. At the end of the day, how much hand finishing (e.g Pealage) do you really think goes into your watches?

Simple economics: Supply versus demand (+ some branding).

5. mimo

mimo Pernicious Enabler

I guess it's like a house, a car or anything else: if you buy something as an investment vehicle, a lower price or depreciation are upsetting. But if you love it and want to keep it, it's worth what you were willing to pay.

Oooh...maybe...

.[​IMG]

6. DLJr

DLJr TWAT Master.

I don't think paying MSRP is against SF rules, nor is it snobbish. Everyone makes the decision on their own.

In house versus ETA goes beyond finishing for me. However, if you wish to trivialize the way others prioritize the details of their watch purchases because it differs from yours, so be it.

7. apropos

apropos Senior member

Thatguy sounds like a Tag Heuer PR guy's wet dream

:hide:

8. Kaplan

Kaplan Senior member

:)

Speaking of colours, this was new at SIHH 2013

[​IMG]

Also stumbled across an auction from a little over a year ago, with both blue, red and brown reversoes from the early 30's. Some fetched 4-5 times the estimate. Picks here .

9. ThatGuy

ThatGuy Senior member

LOL... sure I am.

You guys seem like any "manufactures" wet dream.

BRB Richemont owns most of the brands you get all excited about.

Oh, my. Judging a book by its cover?

Haters gonna hate. Sorry, I don't do herd mentality

10. apropos

apropos Senior member

Now you sound like a Seagull PR guy's wet dream

Keep digging!

11. apropos

apropos Senior member

That blue duo face is nice, but would have been nicer if the white face was... Well, nicer. It's sad and a little telling to see all the publicity photos showing the blue face but not the white one.

It would have been a home run if they had channeled one of the old reversos with the circle on the dial and the central seconds hand, the seconds centrale, for the white face.

I've heard some people say that it would have been great if JLC had released the new blue as another TTR 1931 edition, but I'm with Jerome Lambert on this choice - its not a winning formula to release multiple limited editions of the same model with minor superficial changes... A very refreshing pov from a ceo in these times (cough, AP, cough)...

12. in stitches

in stitches Kung Joo Moderator

:bounce2:
    have been on both sides of that equation, and i could not agree more.

13. johanm

johanm Senior member

Tag is the latest company to shift focus to in house movements - http://www.calibre11.com/tag-heuer-movement-strategy-2012/

IMO, much of the WIS fixation on movements comes out of a desire to add intellectual substance to an otherwise pretty vacuous and inconsequential hobby. I'm sure that stamp collectors and furries have similar classifications and hierarchies to rationalize their pursuits. That said, there are many ways that an optimized movement can substantively improve a watch, in such areas as accuracy, reliability, dial configuration, case proportions, and useful complications.

14. Dino944

Dino944 Senior member

Very tempting [​IMG]. I will certainly become a Reverso ebuddy with you one day. However, I think the MRS will have me shot, stuffed, and mounted above the fireplace if I buy anything major before we know where we stand with our taxes. So...DEETS please...
    [​IMG]
    +1 on on Jermone Lambert's choice.

I am undecided on whether I like the blue Reverso. I think its a model I will have to see in person before making a judgment.

15. rnguy001

rnguy001 Senior member

A little Portuguese today

[​IMG]

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.