1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

The Watch Appreciation Thread (Reviews and Photos of Men's Timepieces by Rolex, Patek Philippe, Brei

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by gdl203, May 20, 2007.

Tags:
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Dino944

Dino944 Senior member

Yes, they usually keep them in the safe rather than in the display case. I think its an attempt to make it look like they are very difficult to get (for those that don't know there is no longer a wait), and that it just arrived and they haven't even had time to put it out.

Years ago when I first started looking at Daytonas...they were $3,800. Demand was so insane, that wait lists at bigger dealers were several years long. When you did find a SS Daytona in the window or display case of a shop it was often $2,500 over list or to as much as twice the MSRP. I did see a few in display cases...all for around $7,500 (I know seems like a bargain now). I bought my first 2 SS Daytonas for $4,350 and then $5,100...after a few price increases in 1996. However, these watches were really very underpriced (AP and VC were selling SS chronos for $12,000, Breguet and Blancpain were selling for around $7,500...and those watches all depreciated. The SS Daytonas could be worn for a day or 5 years and then sold for more than you paid. Tons of them just sold to people that got on as many lists as possible and who flipped them immediately after purchase.

The price really hit demand hard. When the current 116520 first hit US shores it was $6,000. There was still a steady demand for Daytonas even when they hit $9,000...but once flippers saw they couldn't make a profit flipping them quickly for a few grand, they stopped buying and demand started to catch up (a friend in the jewlery business said at about $10K and $20K the number of would be watch buyers drops off drastically). That plus a bad economy starting in 2008/2009 when people on wait lists would pass when an AD called them because they lost their jobs, or were afraid of losing their jobs and wondering how they would make mortgage and car payments.

Its still a great watch even if one can't buy a new one and sell it the next day to make a few thousand on the side. I love mine.
    US MSRP for a SS Daytona is $12,000.

2. NonServiam

NonServiam Senior member

Still honeymooning :)

[​IMG]

5 people like this.
  3. rnguy001

rnguy001 Senior member

If you guys are looking for a SS Daytona, I've seen them regularly in the displays in the NOVA ADs.

Good luck, hope you get your watch early! (and post lots of pics please)

Last edited: Aug 17, 2013
  4. wurger

wurger Senior member

Great photo and watch!

5. RogerP

RogerP Senior member

Greetings TWAT brothers. Under the heading of first world problems....

I'm heading to a lakeside resort with my daughter next week, and want to take one watch. There are several pools, a water slide and, well, a lake. So there will be splashing involved. The easiest one-watch solution would be a dive watch. But I haven't bought the Sub C or Pelagos yet, so the next best thing in my non-beater lineup is the Speedy 9300.

Problem is, it's on a croc strap. Now, the obvious solution is to just put it back on the bracelet, which has served in a water-role before:

[​IMG]

Problem is, ever since rnguy convinced me to wear it on a strap, I have really liked the look and just don't want to go back to the bracelet.

Solution - rubber strap from www.thewatchboys.com :

[​IMG]

The Kevlar texture gives it a bit more visual interest than the average flat rubber piece, as does the bright white stitching. It is very supple right out of the box (as one would expect of rubber) - no break-in time required at all. And the double-deployant is a nice sporty compliment to the strap and the watch itself.

[​IMG]

I'll report back on how it all went. Cheers.

3 people like this.
  6. rnguy001

rnguy001 Senior member

RP What a coincidence. I ran across a pic of your 9300 on a bracelet on TZ, and it inspired me to go back to this: (forgive the crappy pic) [​IMG] I love it on the strap, but wanna give it a week on the bracelet for something different. Also, I've been having a deep introspective debate with myself as to "If I could only own one watch.." and in almost all scenarios the 9300 wins (decent WR for me, casual yet sporty, and if I HAD to - would wear it with a suit) To answer your question - take the Speedy. Bracelet works best, but I like that kevlar strap option.

7. jbarwick

jbarwick Senior member

Excellent point Dino. It will be the last piece of wedding attire I put on for the big day which will make it even more special.

8. Flake

Flake Senior member

Love that bi-compax Speedy

9. Flake

Flake Senior member

[​IMG]

Unusually cool day down here in the South. Nice day for a cigar and bourbon. Pam 112 today.

10. zippyh

zippyh Senior member

JLC MC today. Non quickset date movements can be rather irritating..
    [​IMG]

11. Hayward

Hayward Senior member

Tell me about it. I have two 70s era rolexes, neither have quickset dates. Neither does my new Seiko because of the GMT hand. Further, Seiko warns against using a winder with the Spring Drive, which is why they all have power reserve indicators.

12. PartagasIV

PartagasIV Senior member

Gorgeous! The very first watch I ever wanted to buy.

13. Keith T

Keith T Senior member

Otherwise known as .....EVERY day. LOL.

1 person likes this.
  14. dddrees

dddrees Senior member

Very Nice.

Yeah but well worth it, especially when it's something special.

[​IMG]

Last edited: Aug 17, 2013
    2 people like this.
  15. in stitches

in stitches Senior member Moderator

plus one.
    --

DEERKKK!!!!!! WHATS NEW, DUDE???????

16. Wes Bourne

Wes Bourne Senior member

:decisions:

I wasn't familiar with the Turn-O-Graph till I saw yours. Damn fine watch. :fonz:

17. in stitches

in stitches Senior member Moderator

^^ thanks, wes! ^^
    --

Also, zippy and NS - great JLC pics.

18. djh

djh Senior member

Picked up this 16550 a bit impulsively this weekend. Pretty special watch as far as I can tell, I just couldn't walk away from it.

[​IMG]

1 person likes this.
  19. Kai

Kai Senior member

Which of these two do you prefer?

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

20. ChicagoRon

ChicagoRon Senior member

I think I prefer the top overall.

Last edited: Aug 18, 2013
Thread Status: