The Watch Appreciation Thread (Reviews and Photos of Men's Timepieces by Rolex, Patek Philippe, Brei

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by gdl203, May 20, 2007.

Tags:
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. no frills

no frills Senior member

Oi, Belligero you find the best collages. It's like you have a thing for aesthetics and balance or something. What is up with that? [​IMG]

2. no frills

no frills Senior member

I am in love with the aesthetics of perpetual calendars. How does that Chopard feel on your wrist? Does it wear slightly tall or does it slip into your cuff fairly easily? Obviously this depends on the shirt you're wearing...

I've been to some auctions and my concern is always provenance and quality. Sure, pieces might clear for what seems to be an outrageously low price (although sometimes they clear for outrageously high prices, haha), but then you have to verify quality and where it came from, etc. I guess that's what I pay dealers for, to guarantee said provenance and quality with a 1 or 2-year warranty.

3. Dino944

Dino944 Senior member

Within the last month, prices on all of their gold watches were reduced. Not sure if prices on their platinum pieces were also reduced. Prices on steel watches remain unchanged.

4. no frills

no frills Senior member

Yes, definitely gold. Unsure about platinum. I want to say it was only about a week ago, but rumors had been floating around for at least a month.

5. Dino944

Dino944 Senior member

IIRC, the true drop is 17%. Some people have then tried figuring if the got a discount based on the new price, how much they might have saved...but most got large discount on the gold pieces. Its my understanding, the cost on APs to dealers have gone up by 10% so with a drop in MSRP, it will cut the deep discounting on gold models. Also, AP is doing what Cartier and Rolex did in the last few years and is closing many smaller/deep discouting ADs world wide.

As for brand perception, it probably won't have much affect. They have tremendous brand loyalty among customers(maybe more so than any other brand other than Rolex, with many owners owning several APs). Not sure if anyone here on SF was following AP about 4-5 years ago, but anyone that did may remember they had price reduction on steel watches in 2009. For example all the sudden the RO chronograph dropped from about $19,400 to $16,000+/-. Within 2 years prices on all steel APs were nearly at the pre-price drop level and by last year all prices had greatly exceeded it, and the RO chronographs were around $23,000. Most people don't even remember the price drop. If someone had to sell a watch immediately after the price drop it sucked for them, but if they held on to the watch for a few years it became irrelevant as prices rebounded.

Quick research I saw said its only on gold models, and not on any limited editions. Rumors began in January, but were confirmed by the last week of January.

6. Dino944

Dino944 Senior member

That is a beautiful Chopard! Very cool retrograde date too!

I think you need to try to do more research regarding the price of the AP Dual Time. I don't see them come up for sale too often, but a single auction result from 3-4 years ago doesn't really give much guidance. Auction results can help with setting some parameters, but items can often sell for less than their real market value if a seller is in a hurry and the right buyer isn't at that auction, or a piece can sell for far more than its worth if a few buyers get worked up into a frenzy over the same piece.

I think $11,000 might be a bit high, but $6,000 is probably quite low. I'm far from an expert but I'd hazzard a guess that you should be able to negotiate it for a price of maybe $8,000-9,000.

7. Dino944

Dino944 Senior member

A quick check on eBay and I found 2 examples of the AP Dual Time dress watch from the 90s. One for $9,000 OBO, the other for $9,700 OBO.
    So with some negotiating I would think in the $8-9K range is not unreasonable for a top quality watch.

8. Kaplan

Kaplan Senior member

Anybody wanna take a guess at the price of the 6265?

Last edited: Feb 17, 2013

9. mimo

mimo Pernicious Enabler

Really? I wonder what the little voices in your head might be telling you...[​IMG]

10. in stitches

in stitches Kung Joo Moderator

these are all amazing. so is the one in kaplans link. yeesh.

kirbya - i quite like both of those watches. dont know much about AP pricing, but i would have guessed that 11k for a gold model like that is not all that bad. looks like i would have been wrong. otoh, with pre-owned, its worth whatever you can get for it really.

what else do you have in the collection? also, im a huge sucker for retograde anything.

11. Dino944

Dino944 Senior member

I think the pricing on that 90s AP would be low because it wasn't a hugely popular model (the RO version was more in demand) and the crown and lugs being on the small side date the watch a bit. Other than that, if one likes the design its probably a great value as the modern versions of that are close to $30K.

12. Belligero

Belligero Senior member

For the 39 mm with the newer movement? If so, that's not bad at all, but I've never seen them for that price.

The Dual Time is one of the best steel watches I've seen in person; there was one at a work get-together recently and I had a good chat with its owner. It's just a gorgeous watch with a lovely JLC movement, and I have a weakness for GMT-type complications. Unfortunately, that nice brushed finish would likely start looking a bit mangled in short order on my wrist; it's not a motorcycling watch.

[​IMG]

13. in stitches

in stitches Kung Joo Moderator

^^ i liek ^^

yes, this is what i was trying to say. thanks dino, lol.

14. johanm

johanm Senior member

Looks like AP is gearing up for a Richemont style strategy of severing ties with ADs and shifting focus to boutique sales. I read an interview with their current CEO, Bennahmias, where he seemed intensely fixated on brand management - enhancement from celebrity endorsements and customer service, and damage from grey market and AD discounting. I'm interested to see if his strategy will work. I understand he has basically no knowledge about watches, and came to AP from a background of fashion marketing.

15. Belligero

Belligero Senior member

Do you have a link to the interview? That's really unfortunate if someone who's not a watch person is at the helm of AP. Richemont's celebrities,-fashion-and-branding streak has managed to destroy IWC in my eyes; it would be a shame for another old house to suffer the same fate — though the endless ROO clown editions are a sign that it's already been happening.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.