The Watch Appreciation Thread (Reviews and Photos of Men's Timepieces by Rolex, Patek Philippe, Brei

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by gdl203, May 20, 2007.

Tags:
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. no frills

no frills Senior member

Yes, I've been asking around for where I can find a veterinarian near where I live/work. Because the pythons are looking SICK! Hyuk hyuk.

2. mimo

mimo Pernicious Enabler

Hahaha....fine figure of a fellow. Still, don't risk those dainty wrists if anyone attacks you; just hit them with your wallet. [​IMG]

3. no frills

no frills Senior member

Can't say much more than "well, yes" to both of these posts. Tweeheehee.

4. johanm

johanm Senior member

Very stylish picture (no homo) that illustrates the dress-sport and modern-classic versatility of the Daytona. It's very enjoyable to own a watch that shines across a wide range of contexts and makes you feel like you can go anywhere/do anything. Also really like the pictures of the Daytona on the strap without the end links. The end links + strap combo looks very odd to me for some reason.

Last edited: Feb 7, 2013

5. no frills

no frills Senior member

They are kind of dainty, aren't they? My Daytona's bracelet settings has the watch sitting closer to my hand, which I like. But it's also perfect for my wife, who likes watches sitting about an inch or so higher up her forearm. Which basically means my wife's wrist is about as large as mine, and I outweigh her by close to 60 pounds. Maybe I am trying to compensate for something with the biceps and all......[​IMG]

Let the Daytona rest today and wore the tonneau cased 5040J. "WRUW" pic below.

[​IMG]

6. mimo

mimo Pernicious Enabler

My wrists are quite small compared to the rest of me too, but you're in way better shape than I am by the look of it! Anyway, that's a great pic. Nice suit, fantastic shoes, you look great. They will murder you in the WAYWRN thread (for the tie and clip), but they can kiss your watch. :)

7. no frills

no frills Senior member

Thanks, johanm - for a variety of reasons I wore another piece with my suit today, but I would have been perfectly comfortable wearing the Daytona with it. Just as I felt comfortable wearing it with a white shirt and jeans this morning.

And on the topic of straps: it's cold today, but when it gets warmer in the Spring and Summer in NYC I suspect the steel bracelets will get far more wrist time than my leather straps.

8. Dino944

Dino944 Senior member

Hey Stitch, I'm not sure I've ever seen part of a number cut off in a way that I would consider artistic. However, to answer your question, the reason for the cut out on the 5059, was that the movement had been used in the 5050, which used a more conventional case with sloping lugs and a different dial. The 5050 had minute markers and its hour makers are in line with them, while the 5059 has a thicker and detailed minute track that pushed the hour markers inward and forced the arc of the date downward a bit. Both are nice watches, overall I prefer the 5059's appearance (case and dial) except for the leap year cutting out part of the date...but I'd gladly take either.

9. Dino944

Dino944 Senior member

Thats a beauty! Vintage Heuers are hot!

10. dopey

dopey Senior member Dubiously Honored

I tried to photograph mine this morning for this thread, using a blackberry, but the pictures were unusable :(

11. Dino944

Dino944 Senior member

Hope to see some pix of yours soon!

12. dopey

I have only a small set of watches that would be interesting to photograph for this thread (though I think I have posted photos of other people's versions of many of my watches, so I am not sure what is the point):
    1. Some early Constellations (the linen dial bumper wind is my daily wear, but I also have some neat pie pans)
    2. An Autavia
    3. A fantastic full-on 70s Breitling Transocean
    4. Revue Thommen Airspeed - not fancy or significant, but the perfect pilot's watch in terms of design.
    5. Speedmaster 125 (first automatic chronometer grade chronograph). Look it up. Huge watch; entire time assembly can be removed intact from case. It's like a steel ingot. Made for Omega's 125th anniversary. Mine is mint and was rebuilt by Omega about 12 years ago.
    6. Some early cal. 321 Speedmasters

None of these are very blingy or haute horology but they each have particular qualities I like.

Last edited: Feb 7, 2013

13. Cylon

Cylon Senior member

Id like to see all of them [​IMG]

14. no frills

no frills Senior member

+1 re: Cylon's comment above.

I'd love to see the Speedmasters from (5) and (6) but especially the Speedmaster 125. :)

15. dopey

The 125 is awesome, but it is a brick. Here are some stock photos.
    [​IMG]
    I don't really know what is the point of that feature.
    http://webzoom.freewebs.com/omegauk/speedy125pt1web.jpg
    My daughter saw me wearing it once and said it looks like something James Bond would wear to windsurf :puzzled:
    This is a good article with lots of photos: http://xtrememeantime.forumotion.com/t7255-1973-omega-anniversary-speedmaster-125-chronometer

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.