1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

The Watch Appreciation Thread (Reviews and Photos of Men's Timepieces by Rolex, Patek Philippe, Brei

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by gdl203, May 20, 2007.

Tags:
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. no frills

no frills Senior member

I wonder if I should ask Tony and Dean if they make G&G MTO slippers. HAHAHA!

Speaking of, here's a pic of me with Dean Girling and Steven Taffel of Leffot when I put in that order for the G&G Colcutt in vintage cherry / pingrain chestnut; this one was from last year.

[​IMG]

You will note that I am wearing my SS 5711... with the lovely blue dial. [​IMG]

Again, if someone's personal values were such that they wouldn't even consider buying a luxury item if they couldn't write down its value to zero the next day, that's their prerogative. However, for things such as watches that do retain some (if not all of their) value, and given price points for Patek and comparable watchmakers, I dare say that most collectors would be very concerned about actions that might affect the value of the timepiece negatively. I have yet to meet the collector who, say, purchased a $5,000 platinum deployant clasp for their Patek so that they can switch out the tang buckle... and then throw the tang buckle into the trash. Chances are that (spare) tang buckle is in storage somewhere - along with the original box, papers and/or winders if any are included. Why keep the damn box? Because it's an extra $2,000 to $3,000 if your package is complete, not considering the simple difficulty of unloading a piece that doesn't have, say, original papers or an Extract from the Archive.

But again, if resale value isn't a consideration at all, that's OK too! Just don't assume that others function by the same rules and expectations.

2. dddrees

dddrees Senior member

Well said.

Maybe that's why I keep the original papers and box for my red sub in my safety deposit box.

1 person likes this.
  3. in stitches

in stitches Senior member Moderator

my pleasure. glad you enjoyed.

this.

--

nice news, dopey!

4. Dino944

Dino944 Senior member

I simply brought up the point that doing so could reduce its value. If that is not a concern that's fine, go for it. Just contact your AD or boutique and put your money where your mouth is and buy it and have them change the dial. As for idea that you can afford a watch because you don't care if you reduce its value, that's simply showing you have different values. Using your rational, we should believe that an art collector who spends $20 million on a Picasso can't truly afford it because he won't take a "Sharpie" permanent marker and customize it in his own way, but if you did that to a painting...well that means you can afford it. If you think its an impressive show of wealth that you could reduce the value of something without a care, it isn't. I guess I value originality more than you do, and that's fine.
    If your statement is based on my saying "The gray dial is what distinguishes the WG model from the steel...so it loses some of its identity."
    Then although you claimed to understand where I was going with that...you didn't. I live an work in an area where only Rolex watches would be noticed or recognized. If I were concerned with recognition, it would be pointless to own several of the watches that I have. However, my statement was simply based on the idea, that the dial is one of the only features that makes the WG truly different from the SS model. Yes, I know there is a slight difference and color and weight with SS, but to me its the dial that would really make it more special to me (although I prefer the blue dial, so I'd probably just get it in steel. If I were buying an older GMT Master in steel, I'd go with a Pepsi bezel over the all black bezel because its a signature item that distinguishes it from a steel Sub. There is no value difference, no real issue with someone recognizing a GMT over a Sub in terms of prestige...I would simply want a GMT to look more like a GMT than a Sub. That principle would apply to any item I purchase.

BTW, I have owned a WG watch, it was nice, but too similar to my steel version...and it never got much wrist time. I have nothing against WG watches, its just they rarely interest me. Now a platinum watch, thats a different matter...its a stealthy white metal with significant difference in weight such that one can feel it any time you put one on your wrist.
    +1
    Spot on Frills [​IMG]
    +1
    Well said Frills.
    +1
    I keep all the original items that come with my watches. Personally, unless its an item from the 1960s or older, if someone doesn't have box, papers, and other original items, I often wonder how well this item has been taken care of, be it a car, a watch or anything else of value. Then again I tend to be a stickler for originality and having everything that an item came with if its an item with any reasonable value.

Last edited: Aug 3, 2013
    1 person likes this.
  5. wurger

wurger Senior member

6. RogerP

RogerP Senior member

I suppose I could +1 multiple posts from Dino, Frills, RN and others. But let me just take a shortcut and say that akatsuki isn't making any kind of sense to me at all.

2 people like this.
  7. jbarwick

jbarwick Senior member

The Picasso Sharpie comment gave me a good laugh this morning as that is spot on to his logic.

8. ChicagoRon

ChicagoRon Senior member

Kind of like the one wrinkle free shirt I keep in my closet, just in case I oversleep.

9. no frills

no frills Senior member

Will I be kicked out of TWAT if I confess that I am considering getting a G-Shock?

[​IMG]

10. dopey

dopey Senior member Dubiously Honored

Yep. Not sure if I mentioned it before but this watch is like a river where the only constant is the banks andt the water keeps chanhging. In this case, the only thing original is the case and bracelet. This watch has been through a lot - 19,000ft mountain peaks, camping in the snow, ocean swimming, etc., -- and over the years, everything has been swapped out during various services. At the last service, probably six or seven years ago, maybe more, TAG-Heuer sent it back with a nice note saying that was the last time they could service the watch as they would no longer have a decent supply of replacement parts. It was one of their most popular models, but had been long discontinued. One thing that was nice is that they returned the watch a nw dial, hands and crystal but with the old parts included in a little bag - I was amazed by how solid was the dial.

(While it was a nice note, Omega has serviced 50YO watches for me, so this isn't that impressive).

Last edited: Aug 4, 2013
  11. RogerP

RogerP Senior member

No TWAT for you!

Wait... that didn't come out right....

I actually have a Bulova Precisionist quartz (with a smooth sweep seconds hand, not the traditional quartz 1-second jump) that I use as a handy time-setting and accuracy reference for the mechanical pieces.

12. Belligero

Belligero Senior member

Nothing wrong at all with G-ShocksI They're honest watches and they do their job very well. You can't beat them for what they're designed for. I gave a skiing buddy one and he loves it; it gets a lot of surfing time too, since its tide graph function is useful. He often surfs early in the morning before going to the office, so it's convenient to be able to check the time while in the waves instead of going to shore and digging a mobile out of a bag like he did previously. It's a perfect application for a G.

I've had a few, but I find that I rarely wear them so I end up giving them to non-watch friends who can use them, as a sort of gateway drug into having something that tells the time on the wrist. Another one gets used daily as a work watch at the local brewery by a different friend; it's great for timing hop infusions, and many other activities that go on in the beer-making process.

Some of my riding buddies wear them on the trails:

[​IMG]

Makes for a pretty good drinking watch, too:

[​IMG]

Last edited: Aug 4, 2013
  13. rnguy001

rnguy001 Senior member

Sometimes you just need to "shock out". Very useful in the right situations: [​IMG]

14. in stitches

in stitches Senior member Moderator

I can't even get myself to read some of this stuff. I'm just glad that ya'll are taking care of the responses.

The only thing I want to mention is that I love all the boxes and papers that come with all my watches, and I would never ever get rid of any of them, regardless of what it would do to devalue the watch in the secondary market. They are a part of the watch and the experience of owning it, and I would always want them.

15. Kid Nickels

Kid Nickels Senior member

yes. :lol:

1 person likes this.
  16. Journeyman

Journeyman Senior member

Heck, no - go for it.

You can easily have different watches for different situations.

I've only got a vintage Heuer and a couple of Omegas, so I don't have a great collection, but I also have a G-Shock and a Nike watch, and they're great for mountain-biking, running and playing in the park with my kids.

Different watches for different roles. I don't wear the G-Shock with a suit, and I don't wear my vintage Heuer Carrera when I'm rolling down some fire trails as I don't want to scratch the heck out of it if I crash!

17. akatsuki

akatsuki Senior member

Nice watches. I suppose I would have just bought the extra faceplate and had them switch them. I don't think I ever really thought they would do an outright 1 for 1 switch.

18. Dino944

Dino944 Senior member

Glad you got a good laugh out of it.

Hi Dopey,

No, I didn't realize that so much had been replaced over the years. But still, I think its great you've kept it going, especially since its been through so much and you've shared lots of adventures with it. It's when a watch goes beyond the sum of its parts, and becomes so much more... it becomes so familiar its like an old friend or relative. I hope it lasts you at least another 25 years.!

19. Dino944

Dino944 Senior member

Some companies ONLY do a 1 for 1switch. I'm not sure how Patek deals with parts requests. You should contact them and find out what what their policies are.

20. DLJr

DLJr Senior member

So, I was going to post a long response after reading the back and forth yesterday, but instead, I walked up to the bar and got a drink (okay a few). Once again, a form of TWAT is encouraging my alcohol dependency.
    [​IMG]

1 person likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.