• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The Watch Appreciation Thread (Reviews and Photos of Men's Timepieces by Rolex, Patek Philippe, Brei

Status
Not open for further replies.

ant702

Reaction score
Yeah, so aside from the very beautiful 5059G and I also had a chance to behold this beauty:

I'm actually a bit on Cylon's side regarding the 5059's lugs, but this is really a personal preference. I like lugs that slope gently - I guess that's part of why I ended up liking the 3940's "look" versus my original 5119, complications aside. Dino944 - I didn't even notice that the leap year indicator cut off part of the day numbers. You're right.

These may well be minor quibbles, as these Pateks are phenomenal, phenomenal works of art. But given the price points of these pieces they can't be anything less than perfect before I pull the trigger. At least that's how I feel!

But, I have hit my personal budget limit for timepieces for the year (or two, or twenty), so any future grails will have to wait. In the meantime, I am content with my current set (didn't I just say that a few pages ago before I got my Daytona)? And just to make sure no other bodily craving prompts me to ponder these crazy expensive Pateks anymore tonight, I will cook myself some beef flavored Ramen, accompanied by my new white dial beauty...

Good night, all!
All or nothing, Who cant respect that
icon_gu_b_slayer[1].gif
One of the best photos to date, very clever!

no frills

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Sweet Daytona! The grail of my college years when working at a watch dealer, and what I shelled out my hard earned cash for when I finally could afford it. Ah, the good old days of hype and waiting lists
icon_gu_b_slayer[1].gif

Siffert today
satisfied.gif
(old pic, though)

Wow so this is an interesting piece. The chronograph pushers are on the right while the crown is on the left, am I seeing that right? I like.

dopey

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score

Wow so this is an interesting piece. The chronograph pushers are on the right while the crown is on the left, am I seeing that right?  I like.

That is called a bullhead. It is a cal. 11 and is one of the earliest automatic chronograph designs (actually, the first, I think) and was the result of a collaboration between four makers: Heuer, Breitling, Buren and Dubois-Depraz

NonServiam

Reaction score

Wow so this is an interesting piece. The chronograph pushers are on the right while the crown is on the left, am I seeing that right?  I like.

Yes indeed! Heuer Cal 12 movement.

Here is the interesting story of the cal 11, the world's first automatic chronograph movement (though Zenith would like to disagree):

http://www.onthedash.com/articles/Project99PartsOneTwo.pdf

The Cal 11/12/15 are cool to look at, as they are a movement familiy of modular chronographs with a micro rotor. When you open the watch up, you see the chrono module, and the movement can easily be mistaken for a manual movement.

But the rotor is there, down below :)

Last edited:

in stitches

Stylish Dinosaur
Spamminator Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score

Sweet Daytona! The grail of my college years when working at a watch dealer, and what I shelled out my hard earned cash for when I finally could afford it. Ah, the good old days of hype and waiting lists :slayer: Siffert today :satisfied: (old pic, though)
fantastic. and that is a great pic to boot.
Thanks, man. Good morning, Daytona! Not much style in the mornings, but I suppose the white shirt goes with the white dial.
impressive guns.

NonServiam

Reaction score
The cal 12 was introduced in the Monaco in 1971, so at least the earliest Autavias have the cal 11. Not sure when it was introduced in the Autavia.

mimo

Pernicious Enabler
Reaction score
Yes, I've been asking around for where I can find a veterinarian near where I live/work. Because the pythons are looking SICK! Hyuk hyuk.

Hahaha....fine figure of a fellow. Still, don't risk those dainty wrists if anyone attacks you; just hit them with your wallet.
peepwall[1].gif

no frills

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
This reminds me of my college days when i used to have people saying to me "why do you eat instant noodles when you wear such expensive watches/clothes" to which i used to reply "it is BECAUSE i wear expensive watches/clothes than i HAVE to eat instant noodles" lol

As far as I can tell, that is neither cooking, beef, nor ramen. Japanese chefs are weeping as I write.

A man who wears watches as nice as yours, really should eat better. :)

Can't say much more than "well, yes" to both of these posts. Tweeheehee.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 36 15.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads