The Watch Appreciation Thread (Reviews and Photos of Men's Timepieces by Rolex, Patek Philippe, Brei

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by gdl203, May 20, 2007.

Tags:
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. imperialconsul

imperialconsul Member

Do love the Daytona. It's easy to slag off Daytonas but they really are beautiful watches. The perfect chronograph with perfect proportions and weight. Well done!

2. in stitches

in stitches Kung Joo Moderator

the 5059 is awesome.

[​IMG]

3. Cylon

Cylon Senior member

love everything except the lugs

4. in stitches

i really like them. :)

5. Dino944

Dino944 Senior member

+1 . One of my favorite versions of a Patek perpetual calendar. My father had an opportunity to purchase a new one from an AD with a 30% discount about 10 years ago...but he just didn't care for the dial layout (particularly the day/month on opposite sides of the dial and the leap year indicator cutting out part of the date). Just proof no watch can be everything to everyone.
    They're part of what makes the case so special! I agree with Stitchy, I love them.

6. no frills

no frills Senior member

Yeah, so aside from the very beautiful 5059G and I also had a chance to behold this beauty:

[​IMG]

I'm actually a bit on Cylon's side regarding the 5059's lugs, but this is really a personal preference. I like lugs that slope gently - I guess that's part of why I ended up liking the 3940's "look" versus my original 5119, complications aside. Dino944 - I didn't even notice that the leap year indicator cut off part of the day numbers. You're right.

These may well be minor quibbles, as these Pateks are phenomenal, phenomenal works of art. But given the price points of these pieces they can't be anything less than perfect before I pull the trigger. At least that's how I feel!

But, I have hit my personal budget limit for timepieces for the year (or two, or twenty), so any future grails will have to wait. In the meantime, I am content with my current set (didn't I just say that a few pages ago before I got my Daytona)? And just to make sure no other bodily craving prompts me to ponder these crazy expensive Pateks anymore tonight, I will cook myself some beef flavored Ramen, accompanied by my new white dial beauty...

[​IMG]

Good night, all!

7. Dino944

Dino944 Senior member

Like many watches, its one that has to be tried on to fully appreciate. Its often a love it or hate it watch. Historically its a watch that dealers couldn't give away when the manual wind models were new, and they were heavily discounted. Now they are highly sought after and command prices that are at a minimum 20+ times their original MSRPs. Then with the release of the automatic models around 1989/90, it became one of the most sought after watches in the world. I

For me its design has always been very pure, purposeful, and handsome. To this day, they are my all around favorite Rolex watches. Over they years with the addition of polished lugs they've become a bit more blingy, but they are still as rugged as the original (actually more so, with greater water resistance). Its watch that IMHO looks great with casual clothing but it also works far better with a suit than say a Sub or GMT. In last 10-15 years the biggest complaint about it from former owners is the lack of a date. That's actually something that never bothered me. I wore one as my every day watch for 5 years and it was probably the most accurate watch I owned. For 5 years it was never fast or slow...just dead on accurate.

8. in stitches

no frills - that is also beautiful, i like the slight angle on the lugs, but all in all i think i like the other better. i kinda like how the leap year slightly cuts off the date actually.

9. marvin100

marvin100 Senior member

Likewise.

10. no frills

no frills Senior member

It's got to sing to you, right? Yeah, these pieces are work of art. Now, to win the lottery...

11. Dino944

Dino944 Senior member

They usually do dials that are perfect. Having the leap year cut out part of he date seems like something I'd expect of a lesser company, although its a great watch.

The 5970 is a beauty, but its crazy money.

Love the shot of your Daytona with Ramen noodles. Brings back memories of when I was in grad school and I sold a Sub to help fund a steel Daytona (with El Primero movement). Lets just say it was a lot of Ramen noodels and bagel bites until I got out of school. Thinking back it was worth it...I still have that watch.

Last edited: Feb 6, 2013
  12. jeff13007

jeff13007 Senior member

This reminds me of my college days when i used to have people saying to me "why do you eat instant noodles when you wear such expensive watches/clothes" to which i used to reply "it is BECAUSE i wear expensive watches/clothes than i HAVE to eat instant noodles" lol

13. in stitches

im working on that too!

14. in stitches

is that cut because of the movement placement, in which case i guess that is less than awesome, or was it done artistically, in which case i stand by my previous statement that i like it.

also, yeah, that is a pretty penny, looks like its being sold at a premium on the gray market these days.

15. mimo

mimo Pernicious Enabler

The first time I saw a gold Daytona with a black face, I literally salivated. But, apart from being too expensive for me, it would also require my buying a purple Cadillac and a big hat, and living off the earnings of prostitutes.

However, I think what you said about proportions and the like, the recent discussions of Rolex and reality versus brand image, and the pictures of these beauties, has shown the true path: stainless, white face, beautiful enough to stare at but not totally associated with cuban heels and crack. I love it.

As far as I can tell, that is neither cooking, beef, nor ramen. Japanese chefs are weeping as I write.

A man who wears watches as nice as yours, really should eat better. :)

Last edited: Feb 7, 2013
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.