The Watch Appreciation Thread (Reviews and Photos of Men's Timepieces by Rolex, Patek Philippe, Brei

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by gdl203, May 20, 2007.

Tags:
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. rnguy001

rnguy001 Senior member

Normally I'm not a fan of Parmagiani, mostly because their designs don't speak to me, but this watch here is very nice. I do hear great things about their case finishing and quality as a whole though..

2. in stitches

in stitches Kung Joo Moderator

apropos - no offense taken. it was a good convo. :)
    --
    while i dont own any independents, and im not even sure if they are, there are some jaquet droz that i would like to get my hands on.

3. Newcomer

Newcomer Senior member

Last edited: Feb 5, 2013

4. Dino944

Dino944 Senior member

I don't think there was anything to apologize for in your posts. I found your post amusing and was kidding about it. We should be able to express ideas and opinions about watches honestly or there will be a loss in the overall value of opinions here on SF.

I like the Parmagiani pictured above. Its a clean, modern interpretation of a dress watch. I agree with your description of their collection being schizophrenic. For years their collection was all over the place and lacked direction. My friend's brother inherited a Parmagiani, and he likes it, but its a design that doesn't really appeal to me.

An acquaintance showed me his Peter Speake-Marin. Overall, I thought it was very nice, but when I found out that I think its base movement was something from ETA, I was less interested in it at that price range. I don't mind if a brand/independent uses someone else's movement (Lemania, JLC, Piaget, F. Piguet etc), but onece a watch is in a certain price range, I'd prefer something other than an ETA product.

5. Dino944

Dino944 Senior member

IIRC Jaquet Droz is part of Swatch Group.

6. rnguy001

rnguy001 Senior member

Yes, this is very true. Some topics tend to get others very fired up, but as long as we can agree that this is a forum and differences in opinions are what make this particular thread really great, then there's really no need to apologize. Everyone's entitled to their own opinon/style (sorry for all the cliches), and I'm really enjoying the different styles here and really am learning a lot!

Had no idea about this in regards to PSM - that's.. disappointing to hear IMO.

7. Axelman 17

Axelman 17 Senior member

I like the watches and all but the best part is the blue melange sweater. What is that?

8. in stitches

indeed you are correct. still, there are a few i quite like. :)

9. in stitches

sad news for you....

10. Flake

Flake Senior member

Apropos,

While I don't own one yet, I am a fan of some of Journe's creations. I believe they would qualify :)

11. NDND2012

NDND2012 Active Member

So, again - PP aside, does anyone actually own anything from (lesser known) independents that are not movement finishers/recasers? [/quote]

I purchased a Nomos Taganomat a couple of months ago, I think Nomos would be considered an independent. The finish on the case is nice, the movement finishing is great. I haven't measured the accuracy but I haven't had to adjust the time in months. I can't comment on the reliability or any issues with servicing it yet since I haven't had it for long. So far it's one of my favorite purchases, hence the avatar picture.

I don't know anything about PF, but the pic you posted was gorgeous.

12. dbln79

dbln79 Well-Known Member

[​IMG]
    Thanks for the compliment on the JLC No Frills! I own a Rolex that's more on the "fun" side. I think Rolex is a brand with the most recognition and sometimes for the wrong reasons. Most of the watch is brushed so it doesn't call attention to itself. It was calling my name for months before I finally pulled the trigger.

13. gdl203

gdl203 Affiliate Vendor Dubiously Honored Affiliate Vendor

14. Hayward

Hayward Senior member

I've prolly posted this before but this is the one model in the current lineup I'd buy.

15. in stitches

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.