The Watch Appreciation Thread (Reviews and Photos of Men's Timepieces by Rolex, Patek Philippe, Brei

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by gdl203, May 20, 2007.

Tags:
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. in stitches

in stitches Kung Joo Moderator

link?

2. TheTukker

TheTukker Senior member

What are people's thoughts on the small portuguese (not my pic):

[​IMG]

3. Cylon

Cylon Senior member

dont buy one on ebay [​IMG]

jokes aside: second from right is [​IMG]

Last edited: Feb 1, 2013

4. DLJr

DLJr TWAT Master.

[​IMG]

5. mimo

mimo Pernicious Enabler

I think a smaller watch is nice when it's a simple two or three hand design; more dressy and subtle. I think it has to be a white face if it's smaller though. And personally, I prefer a brown strap, especially with the rose gold. But then who the hell am I? :)

6. apropos

apropos Senior member

No screwed chatons, dopey.

AFAIK screwed chatons are standard on cal 57/58, and I've been told that one should expect them on good pocket watches of that vintage. Full disclosure - I know little about pocket watches, so could be completely wrong.

I think idiots who recase pocket watches and sell them as wristwatches without full and upfront disclosure should be skinned, which is I guess poetic justice in a sense (and my warped mind at work of course).

7. in stitches

yes

8. bawlin

bawlin Senior member

What's everyone's thoughts on the 39mm Explorer 1? Also, what sort of perception do people have of Rolexes and people who wear them? I think at 39mm, the Explorer 1 is subtle enough to get a pass and mitigate any negative perceptions, no?

[​IMG]

9. Cylon

Cylon Senior member

Personally I prefer the 36mm explorer.

People make all sorts of assumptions about rolex wearers, but they call the 36mm explorer a stealth rolex for a reason

10. in stitches

i like it.

11. Dino944

Dino944 Senior member

The Ex 1 in the photo is actually the prior 36mm 114270. I prefer it to the 39mm model, but both are nice. Both are simple tasteful steel watches that are not going to attract any unwanted/negative attention. I think as long as you stay away from an all gold Rolex, which most people find very flashy...the majority of people don't care what watch you wear.

As for the perceptions of Rolex, its a very good, reliable and robust watch. It has very good resale value, and can take whatever you can dish out. Its not the same quality as say a Patek, Lange, AP, or VC...but a Rolex costs significantly less. As for perception of people wearing Rolex, I've met Rolex owners that I liked and some I didn't, but I could also say that about people that wear Patek, Journe, VC, AP, Omega and a bunch of other brands.

12. no frills

no frills Senior member

Agree with Cylon's comment above, and with Dino944's assessment of the watch in the picture actually being the 36mm. Aside from the size difference, the 39mm has lugs that don't "slope as much" into the bracelet - a bit of a change in the 36mm's aesthetic that I don't quite like.

Wrist shot today as I am "stealthifying around" with my 36mm Explorer, actually.

[​IMG]

13. Dino944

Dino944 Senior member

^ great photo of the Ex1.

14. in stitches

welp, getting the PP pocket watch ready for sale, wanted to share some pics. i thought the engraving was particularly cool. i wonder if companies still give PP for top sales performers. i would guess not so much, but i have no idea.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

15. no frills

no frills Senior member

Amazing pics. Yeah, those were the days when companies (and Chrysler!) could afford these things, huh. I wonder what relative prices and values were back in 1933, though. Nowadays sales departments tend to give away free trips to warmer Caribbean islands (significant others included, perhaps) and items like iPads, etc.

Last November there was a Patek 3919 listed in TRF that was supposedly commissioned by former (and future?) Italian Prime Minister Silvio Berlusconi as giveaways. Pic borrowed here from that posting:

[​IMG]

I wonder how much clout - or money, or both - you need to have to tell the Stern family to go make a few (hundred?) pieces as trinkets that you give away.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.