1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

The Watch Appreciation Thread (Reviews and Photos of Men's Timepieces by Rolex, Patek Philippe, Brei

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by gdl203, May 20, 2007.

Tags:
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. in stitches

in stitches Senior member Moderator

thanks, man!!

pic is from yesterday. was about 60 degrees when i left the house in the AM, so i threw on a sweater. my office is a freezer tho, but that is because i like it that way. : )

thanks!!

2. wurger

wurger Senior member

after having a shower and some more thought, I think I have to retract this comment of mine about the use of the term date function.

I guess there are so many things that we take for granted with date functions on mechanical watches today that the achievements when it was first introduced and its various improvements are forgotten.

It was a great introduction back in 1945 when Rolex introduced Datejust, a function that automatically changed the date when the time moves to the next day, it's an automatic function.

In 1955, instantaneous date change was introduced by Rolex, whereas before, the date would begin to change hours before its midnight rendezvous. Some watches today still don't have this function.

In the late 70s, quick set date was introduced; before that, you have to rotate the hands over the 24hr span to advance the date, which can mean many rotations if it's a few dates away.

Last edited: Jul 26, 2013
  3. wurger

wurger Senior member

And yeah, a big thank you to everyone that helped me before the purchase of the Longines Retrograde, plus the comments and appreciation I got after the purchase and wearing. SF FTW :slayer:

1 person likes this.
  4. in stitches

:nodding:

but ballers like dopey dont seem to appreciate this, and refer to it as bad engineering. for shame.

5. dopey

dopey Senior member Dubiously Honored

Yep. It's a great, well-designed day counter and has many uses. One awesome feature would be if, for example, you have a watch with a seven day reserve but no power indicator; you could wind it and then set your day counter to 31 and watch it count to seven days and you will know when your watch will run down. Or if you are going on a ten day trip and want to know when to catch your return flight - simply set your day counter and you will know when to go to the airport. When you order a new Annual Calendar watch and the dealer tells you it will be in in two to three weeks . . . Perfect. Set your day counter and watch the days go by until it is ready for pickup.

1 person likes this.
  6. in stitches

7. rnguy001

rnguy001 Senior member

I think a more compelling argument is to blame the astro-physical laws of Earth (or the incompetents who discovered them) since this has obviously failed to keep every month at precisely the same number of days the entire so-called year.

1 person likes this.
  8. zippyh

zippyh Senior member

We may as well start ranting about DST while we're at it.

9. RogerP

RogerP Senior member

stitchy, that is hawt, bro.

10. Dino944

Dino944 Senior member

[​IMG] My LV says hello

[​IMG]

Its about time!!! Looks fantastic! I hope you enjoy it and that it gets lots of wrist time. Congrats bro [​IMG]
    CHRK33 - with respect to the lack of love you refer to regarding the Ex2, let me clarify my own feelings on Milgauss vs. Ex2. For me personally, I would choose Ex2 over a Milgauss. I have the old style 16570, and its a all purpose watch. I like the newer one a lot, and I would give it serious thought along with the new Blue/Black GMT2. That being said, this is for your Dad and not for me. Not sure if your Dad would find the Ex2, too large for him at 42mm. Beyond that, I had a friend that owned a restaurant and was in the kitchen a lot and his watches really took a beating. In fact he had a Nautilus for a few years, but it really couldn't withstand the constant punishment it took in a kitchen (maybe not shock proof enough) and he was having to send it back to the Henri Stern Agency for service due to the affect the constant banging around had on the movement...it would stop accurately keeping time or stop period. He eventually sold it because it just wasn't up to the tasks he was doing. So knowing this, I think the Milguass is easier to clean up and keep looking great when it goes in for service. A polishing of the bezel will bring it back to looking like new. An Ex2 bezel under really extreme conditions is going to look beaten up and battered. Some people like that, but others don't, and the only thing one can do is eventually replace its bezel. So for me, someone with a desk job where watches as babied, I would prefer a black dial new Ex2 over a Milgauss (even though the Milgauss is very nice), but for your Dad, I prefer the Milgauss. Just my 2 cents.

Wishing you luck whatever you decide...and can't wait to see some wrist shots of your big day with your new watch! [​IMG]

11. dddrees

dddrees Senior member

Awesome, Congrats Sir!!!!!

12. dddrees

dddrees Senior member

Hello there.

The green Bezel and Maxi Dial are just perfect if you ask me.[​IMG]

13. dddrees

dddrees Senior member

Me too, thank you sir.

14. in stitches

thanks, guys! much appreciated. as soon as get that cape cod cloth (shipped today from amazon), i will try and clean it up some more, and then bust out the DSLR for some nitty gritty pics to share. so far all i did was disassemble it, steam off the parts, and polish it with a standard polishing rag we have at the store.
    [​IMG]
    trip d and dino - great looking LVs :slayer:

1 person likes this.
  15. dddrees

dddrees Senior member

Thank you sir.

1 person likes this.
  16. dopey

What do you TWAT dwellers think of Rolex's Cellini line? I never see it discussed.

17. in stitches

i liek some, i disliek others. i absolutely fell in love with some of the reissues of the prince models with the exhibition back, a few years ago, but when i tried them on it was laughable how feminine it looked on my wrist. too bad.

18. Dino944

Dino944 Senior member

Thanks Stitchy!
    Not a fan of them. For what they cost there are true dress watches from other manufacturers that I would prefer to own. Just like Stitchy mentioned, I too was curious to see their Prince line of watches when they released them. But upon seeing them in person I was very disappointed. Way too garish, not classic like the originals, and far too feminine.

1 person likes this.
  19. NonServiam

NonServiam Senior member

Pepsi for me today :)

[​IMG]

4 people like this.
  20. dopey

One of the things Rolex does well is the dial, and I think that is someplace the Cellini watches I have seen look good. The designs themselves are not so impressive though some models are OK. What I was curious about is whether Rolex finishes the movement to the same standards as the other top watchmakers. I know they don't in their regular line, which is ok since I think of those as basically sports models (even the DJs) and you are basically buying for the robustness of the movement and the solid case design. But for the Cellinis to compete in the dress space, I would think they would need to do better on the movements. I don't know if they do.

That said, who buys them? I have never seen a Cellini on anyone's wrist.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.