The Watch Appreciation Thread (Reviews and Photos of Men's Timepieces by Rolex, Patek Philippe, Brei

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by gdl203, May 20, 2007.

Tags:
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ezlau

ezlau Senior member

2. Dino944

Dino944 Senior member

+1

Thanks for sharing the story behind your Movado.

3. mktitsworth

mktitsworth Senior member

What did you get your PhD in? Also, please tell me that grad school ends. Here in midway-through-land, it's all that can be seen going forward and backwards.

4. rnguy001

rnguy001 Senior member

Great story and the watch looks killer with that suit. Well done!

5. in stitches

in stitches Kung Joo Moderator

they are amazing. i need to get in on that. just have to add it to the list.

6. k4lnamja

k4lnamja Senior member

Deets on tie and shoes?

7. Belligero

Belligero Senior member

I've said it before and I'll say it again: What's on one's feet has far more impact on overall appearance than what's on one's wrist. This photo is a perfect example; at a glance, that could be any slim watch from an inexpensive Skagen to a platinum Altiplano — and it doesn't even remotely matter, as you look absolutely minted with those kicks. It always amazes me when certain watch-nerd types have no problem spending multiple thousands of $/€ on man-jewelry but balk at paying for decent shoes. Oh well, different strokes for different folks. I know which one I'd prioritize if forced to choose, though.
    Funny thing about that watch; as much a vocal minority of WUSsy types like to dismiss it as the default choice of the least discerning — as if any normal person would notice and then judge what kind of watch you're wearing as long as it's not some truly obnoxious POS — it's chosen by a quite a few of those who are the most discerning about their watches as well. I don't think you could have picked anything better, and in the real world, it's near-impossible to trump a Submariner that's being worn by somebody who uses it for its intended purpose. It's up there with astronaut watches that have been worn by actual astronauts. Also, why would you not want something that's going to look better and become even more desirable with age? You can still be wearing and enjoying it ten, twenty and forty years down the road. Not to mention that you'll still be able to get parts and service at that time if necessary. Fantastic watch, and many thanks for sharing the still-developing story behind it.

Last edited: Jan 31, 2013

8. apropos

apropos Senior member

Belligero, watches for me are a private pleasure, and I'm sure at least some people here feel the same way, so I'm not sure that shoe comparison might work in every situation. :)

And re the second part of your reply, there is a particular 'class' of watches which can tell you a lot about their owners! :devil:

9. Belligero

Belligero Senior member

I know what you mean, it's just that I would have a hard time justifying expense on a luxury like a watch without having the foundation well taken care of. It's not only that low-quality shoes look shabby, they also have physiological drawbacks. I should have mentioned that it's not only for reasons of vanity that I'd rank... uh... hoof-ments over movements. I do realize that it's a bit apples-to-oranges, though.

Yes, yes, I'm trying to be a bit diplomatic there. A watch definitely can carry certain connotations, positive or negative. But it's normally not the only signal, either. ;)

10. no frills

no frills Senior member

"Hoof-ments over movements." That's awesome. :)

11. no frills

no frills Senior member

Thanks, guys. jeff13007 - nice attempt. You do realize that I will now have to look at Tom Ford and Berluti selections, right? Sigh....... :)

Shoes are Corthay's Satan - ezlau is right!

Tie is $15 from www.thetiebar.com: http://www.thetiebar.com/order_page.asp?g=g&pn=22846

When did I become a Senior Member!?

12. no frills

no frills Senior member

Economics. Took me five years from matriculation to starting a full-time job outside academia, defended thesis six months after that, then received the degree six months afterwards, given the academic cycle. So, about six years. On top of a couple of years doing another master's degree.

It does end, but I feel your pain. The guilt of feeling like you didn't write productively that day, endless revisions from various thesis committee members, the missives from on high telling me I wasn't good enough (yet). It was a pretty hardcore program, but it's as close to a traditional master/apprentice relationship as you could find. Until the master says the student is ready............ but keep at it!

Thanks, rnguy001.

13. ant702

ant702 Senior member

Apples 2 oranges, not quite brother! You said the magic word "VANITY"!

14. ant702

ant702 Senior member

Hats off to you! And thats a GQ worthy picture[​IMG]

15. DerekS

DerekS Guyliner

id pass on B&R. WAY overpriced. I owned this for a very short time...theyre REALLY fun watches. but pedestrian movements and rubber straps at their pricetag is ridiculous. This was 18K rose gold on a gator strap...I kinda miss it, but IIRC MSRP was well over $10K

[​IMG]

Last edited: Jan 31, 2013

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.