The Watch Appreciation Thread (Reviews and Photos of Men's Timepieces by Rolex, Patek Philippe, Brei

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by gdl203, May 20, 2007.

Tags:
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. no frills

no frills Senior member

Beautiful piece!

2. jeff13007

jeff13007 Senior member

You sir are a lucky man. It must be great pulling the "But I'm buying it for the both of us!" card when purchasing a new piece lol

3. rnguy001

rnguy001 Senior member

haha NICE!

4. no frills

no frills Senior member

EXAC-SOLUTE-LY. :) Variations include "yeah, but this piece will really go well with that (fill in color) dress of yours, right?"

Last edited: Jan 30, 2013

5. in stitches

in stitches Kung Joo Moderator

personally, i dont see myself in a quartz, but i have no issue with them, and if there was a sentimental reason for me to wear one, id do it.
    good man. -- academe - that AP is fantastic.

6. Dino944

Dino944 Senior member

I agree with Gauss. See below.
    +1
    I'd rather get a Sinn than at B&R. I liked more of B&Rs designs when they were involved with Sinn. Now I find many of their designs goofy.

7. Dino944

Dino944 Senior member

Congrats on becoming a Dad, and I hope you enjoy your dad's watch. Quartz are not favored by collectors, but that doesn't make them a bad thing. I own a Rolex Oysterquartz ref 17000. For a quartz watch it had a lot of firsts other Rolex watches (particularly those in steel) did not get until much later (perhaps your Breitling has some special features). I love the design. Its great having a watch that I can grab at a moment's notice and wear without setting the time, even if it hasn't been worn in several weeks. I often use it to set the time on other watches.

Some watches are not easy to live with if they are a quartz model, like some of the PP Nautiluses or AP ROs of the 1980s. Opening the cases for those is more labor intensive and I've heard of people getting rediculous bills just to change their batteries. Rolex is pretty straight forward and they change the battery and pressure test their quartz watches for free.

Breitling has had its ups and downs. They do make some blingy models that would not appeal to me. However, they have several classic models, and they have been doing more to make their own movements, which helps build interest and respect for the brand. One of my friends has 2 Breitlings and he really likes them. Wishing you luck as a new dad and I hope you enjoy your father's watch!

8. Belligero

Belligero Senior member

OQ is way cool. It's one of those watches that I'd love to have but I have yet to see in person. Got any photos!?

9. Dino944

Dino944 Senior member

Thanks. Yes, here are a few photos.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

10. Belligero

Belligero Senior member

Many thanks. That looks great in steel, especially with the non-fluted bezel.

11. ErikW

ErikW Senior member

I'm liking the BR-03-92. I really like the Phantom and the Black & Blue Model. Any thoughts on them? I've never seen a Sinn that looks like these...

[​IMG] [​IMG]

12. kentyman

kentyman Senior member

I, too, would like to echo all the support above for your sentimental quartz. To think any less of this gift because of the actual implementation of spinning hands would miss the whole point, and sadly devalue such a special gesture.

In support of sentimental quartz watches, let me introduce the only watch I own that isn't more at home in the in the Poor Man's Watch Thread: the Omega Speedmaster Professional X-33 that I'm wearing today. It was given to me by my father, who was lucky enough to pilot STS-125, the final Hubble Space Telescope servicing mission. My understanding is that though it was already being discontinued, Omega did a special run of a hundred-or-so watches to allow astronauts aboard the last handful of Space Shuttle missions to continue the tradition of buying a Speedmaster for use in space. There was a limit of one per person, but a fellow crew member passed on the opportunity so my dad bough one for me and my brother. He wore mine, my brothers, and a third that he borrowed from NASA for his own use, during the actual launch into orbit.

Anyway, it's a quartz. And hell, considering what it was made for, it absolutely should be. Regardless, I would never let it take away from the sentimental value of this gift, and I surely wouldn't trade it for any mechanical watch in the world. This is something I plan on passing on to my son, and your Breitling sounds like a perfect eventual gift for your daughter's first son.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

(Sorry for the blurry photos. And while it has a titanium bracelet, but I usually like to usually like to wear it on NATOs.)

13. rnguy001

rnguy001 Senior member

Great gift, my man!

14. Belligero

Belligero Senior member

[​IMG] I wouldn't trade that for any other watch in the world if I were you, either.

15. in stitches

in stitches Kung Joo Moderator

im not a huge fan of their square watches, though i like a few. but if they suit your wrist, that is a different story.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.