The Watch Appreciation Thread (Reviews and Photos of Men's Timepieces by Rolex, Patek Philippe, Brei

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by gdl203, May 20, 2007.

Tags:
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Gauss17

Gauss17 Senior member

I find them to be very overpriced for what you get. Kind of like a Hugo Boss suit, you pay for the name rather than anything substantial. Pretty sure they use completely unmodified ETA movements.

If I were going to get a watch in that style, I would rather go for a Sinn. They did designs for Bell and Ross, so it is no surprise they look similar. The Sinn is better made and less expensive.

2. chocsosa

chocsosa Senior member

I am inheriting a Breiting watch from my dad for being a new dad to my little girl. It was purchased in the 90's and its a quartz. I dont see a lot of love on here for quartz watches being of course the art behind automatic movements. What is the general consensus behind the Breitling brand and one that's a quartz?

3. in stitches

in stitches Kung Joo Moderator

i think the most significant value here will be the sentimental value, dont undervalue that at all. breitling makes plenty of fine watches, and there are some good looking quartz models out there, do you know which model this is?

4. jeff13007

jeff13007 Senior member

All in all Breitling is a great brand, the reason it catches flak IMO is because of the people who wear them, usually people who love the big flashy time pieces. As for quartz pieces i personally would not buy one as i think if you are gonna go with something that requires a battery as opposed to a mechanical i would just get a timex and save myself the trouble. But my opinion aside the fact that your watch is a Breitling or that its quartz shouldn't matter, what matters is that it is from your Dad and it holds sentimental value. To hell with what other people think about it

5. chocsosa

chocsosa Senior member

not too sure.. it looks like a chronomat model from the 90's.. not big at all.. I would say 39mm-40mm...I def understand from the sentimental aspect and thus I'm keeping it. I just wondered what people thought about it in general with the quartz movement. I saw him wearing it a couple times as a kid but have not seen the watch in maybe 10 years. So just from memory and I matched the style to that general line from observation.

6. MSchott

MSchott Active Member

Sinn and Bell & Ross haven't collaborated in about 10 years and since, B&R designs are completely different from Sinn's. The square instrument style BR03 models have been around for many years and have been a huge success for the company.

I don't know if the movements are modified or not and probably not as for a few years now ETA has not allowed their customers to modify the movements. Then again there's nothing at all wrong with an unmodified ETA movement, especially if it's a higher grade version. Their watches also hold value pretty well on the secondary market.

7. no frills

no frills Senior member

You know, my wife's daily wearer is also a men's 36mm SS DJ, vintage (1967?), no diamonds, etc. Got it for her birthday last November. Even wears it when she sleeps sometimes.

Er, yeah. Basically I got her one piece every time I got myself one...[​IMG]

8. no frills

no frills Senior member

Congratulations on your little girl! Very thoughtful of your dad. I echo comments from Stitchy and Jeff here - the value is that it came from your dad. Also, you will probably appreciate the convenience of quartz - and hopefully the relative toughness of your Breitling - when you're up at all hours of the night dealing with all sorts of new skills and concerns as you care for your baby girl!

'Grats again!

9. ant702

ant702 Senior member

LOL, but I will[​IMG]

10. ant702

ant702 Senior member

Had the beige 123 (I think I got that right) B&R has gotten bigger, since its debut! They do decent movement decor(ETA if you dont mind)! I'm not sure if the price is of your liking now! Also, when they first hit the scene you where able to order extra bands ect. (toll free).! Not sure now!

Last edited: Jan 30, 2013

11. ant702

ant702 Senior member

Would you like to share the cost of servicing? And why you sent it in? I know usually the more complicated the more you pay!

12. academe

academe Senior member

+ 1

My wife is definitely not a WIS. She has a few quartz Mondaines which are her daily wearers, but on occasion will wear this:

[​IMG]

AP Jules Audemars Small Seconds with in-house hand-wound calibre 3090. Pink gold with watered silk and leather band.

Her next 'nice' watch may be an automatic Cartier tank of one kind or another, automatic Omega Constellation or perhaps a Datejust...Her writsts are very narrow, so no men's 36 mm Datejust for her!

13. yywwyy

yywwyy Senior member

14. rnguy001

rnguy001 Senior member

Your wife has great taste!

Hey Ant, check my post/reply to DINO a page or two back. No charge from JLC (I think their Service Center in Texas did the work). The PR wasn't working properly. I hate to imagine how much that would've cost out of pocket though.. yikes..

I like some of their more subdued models, their vintage lines. Not a huge fan of their big square watches, but they have become, for better or worse, synonymous with the brand.

They do have some extremely nice models, but I agree with one of the other posters, a little expensive for what you get under the hood. That being said, I always find that shouldn't be a deterrent if you really love a watch and have the cash and it's something that will really bring you joy..

Congrats on all accounts. You know, Breitling gets a bad rap due to all the huge blinged-out watches, Bentley collaborations, rappers and Travolta adds. Underneath it all they are a great watch company that can put out some really fantastic looking pieces. I've heard nothing but great things about their service department from my ADs (apparently their customer service blows a lot of the other swiss companies away.. but I've never had any personal experience..), and their B1 movement is supposed to be legit.

I really like some of their Transocean models. The Navitimer is also well-loved by many, although personally I'm not as a big a fan of most of that line.

15. no frills

no frills Senior member

Wrists are a fascinating thing. My wife weighs all of 110 pounds at 5'4" and I top 170 pounds at 5'7", but her wrists are 6" and mine are 6.25." Our hands are actually of the same length (palm/finger length) although I (finally) distinguish my maleness via thick, gnarly fingers and rough palms versus her long, refined fingers and smooth palms.

So basically she can wear any watch I have.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.