• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The Watch Appreciation Thread (Reviews and Photos of Men's Timepieces by Rolex, Patek Philippe, Brei

Status
Not open for further replies.

no frills

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
How about a JLC Reverso Duetto?

+1 for the JLC Reverso Duetto. Beautiful mirror polished finish, two faces offering versatility, manual movement for the enthusiast (although I will most likely have to do the winding and setting for my wife if I ever got her one).

Dino944

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
There's a lot of hype and counter-hype about GS watches, but in the flesh they are actually pretty impressive IMO. Roughly you could divide their models into "modern" and "vintage inspired". The former category, such as the Snowflake posted above, are impressive in the same way as the Royal Oak - intricate angles, alternating brushed/polished surfaces, dial detailing, robust/accurate modern automatic movements, etc. The latter category reminds me of GO Senator Sixties or the 1950s Panerai models - classic/nostalgic feel with the dial and domed crystal and proportions but with the production quality of a modern luxury watch. If you're in NYC I suggest visiting the Tourneau concept store on 53rd/Madison to scope them out.

I have said they seem to be great quality. I just think the designs are incredibly bland and uninspiring. The Snowflake reminds me tribute to Omega. Sure there are people who buy them, but for that kind of money, I think I would be looking at Omega, Rolex, Breitling, maybe some less expensive JLCs. Each of those brands has models that are distinctive. The quality of a GS is great, but the designs just don't seem distinctive enough to differentiate them in a meaningful way from a standard Seiko.

As for the details, you describe, I just don't see much interms of intricate angles on the bezel, case or bracelet. The best I can say is their use of brushed and polished surfaces on the Snowflake again reminds me of Omega, which isn't bad...it just seems unoriginal. The dial, maybe thats personal taste, but I just don't like its rough finish. It doesn't have the same appeal as an engine turned dial, guilloche dial, or even a flat dial with a great use of color and depth. As another SF regular posted (can't remember which one) the textured dial could easily look tired and dated the way the old linen type of dials from the 70s look today. GSs are really well made, but I think they have a very limited appeal.

Dino944

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

+1 for the JLC Reverso Duetto. Beautiful mirror polished finish, two faces offering versatility, manual movement for the enthusiast (although I will most likely have to do the winding and setting for my wife if I ever got her one).
+1 great idea guys. The Duetto is beautiful watch. My wife has said she wouldn't mind one for dress, but for everyday she wants an automatic. So whether this gift is intended to be worn daily and the practicality or lack there of is something the OP should consider. Lots of my women friends just want a quartz so they don't have to deal with winding it or setting the time if they don't wear it for a few days.

Last edited:

zippyh

Stylish Dinosaur
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score

+1 for the JLC Reverso Duetto.  Beautiful mirror polished finish, two faces offering versatility, manual movement for the enthusiast (although I will most likely have to do the winding and setting for my wife if I ever got her one).  

+1  great idea guys.  The Duetto is beautiful watch.  My wife has said she wouldn't mind one for dress, but for everyday she wants an automatic.  So whether this gift is intended to be worn daily and the practicality or lack there of is something the OP should consider.  Lots of my women friends just want a quartz so they don't have to deal with winding it or setting the time if they don't wear it for a few days.   

I bought one for my wife about 10 years ago.
She loves it. She also almost never wears it.
Mostly she wears her lady datejust.

in stitches

Stylish Dinosaur
Spamminator Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score

i jump on this bandwagon. excellent idea.

i have always liked this one, auto and diamonds. can be had for close to 8 here

http://www.prestigetime.com/item/Jaeger-LeCoultre/Reverso-Squadra-Lady-Duetto/705.84.20.html

Last edited:

no frills

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Between the tank and the 24 its hard to go wrong imo, its more a matter of taste. Used would not bother me for a gift if its in excellent condition. Good luck and im sure she will love whatever you get her.

For the holidays, I had a choice of getting my wife a Twenty-4 or a Rolex 69178 with a badongkadongks load of diamonds (three little ones in each bracelet link, for example). The Rolex actually doesn't come across as gaudy as one would imagine - at least when she's wearing it - unless you really stare and see all the bling. I thought she'd pick the Twenty-4 for sure. But I guess I should never underestimate the power of bling. Or the logic of "well, get me the Rolex for Christmas and then get me the Twenty-4 for our anniversary." Nice.

rnguy001

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
This JLC is a great looking watch.

Also - I like hearing about what our significant others are wearing also.

Mine wears a men's 36 mm stainless steel DJ and she won't go anywhere without it. No diamonds, but I think it looks perfect on her.

Oi, that is pretty.  I think I will surprise my loved one before our anniversary comes around.

Last edited:

in stitches

Stylish Dinosaur
Spamminator Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score

For the holidays, I had a choice of getting my wife a Twenty-4 or a Rolex 69178 with a badongkadongks load of diamonds (three little ones in each bracelet link, for example).  The Rolex actually doesn't come across as gaudy as one would imagine - at least when she's wearing it - unless you really stare and see all the bling.  I thought she'd pick the Twenty-4 for sure.  But I guess I should never underestimate the power of bling.  Or the logic of "well, get me the Rolex for Christmas and then get me the Twenty-4 for our anniversary."  Nice.

well, with your collection, ill bet its hard to say no. ;)

Oi, that is pretty.  I think I will surprise my loved one before our anniversary comes around.

indeed. good idea.

i wanted to get one for my wife, but she refuses to wear any decent watch, cant even get het to wear a michele jelly bean. le sigh.

This JLC is a great looking watch.
Also - I like hearing about what our significant others are wearing also.
Mine wears a men's 36 mm stainless steel DJ and she won't go anywhere without it. No diamonds, but I think it looks perfect on her.

it is isnt it. :)

its a great watch the rolex. im sure she loves it. mens watches on ladies is often a very cool look. does she wear it on the lose side?

Last edited:

rnguy001

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Yup a little on the looser side. She also has a women's Speedmaster she loves. Her next watch is the two-tone version of her Rolex now. It complements are complexion well I think.

I would love to get her into JLC one day..

One day..

its a great watch the rolex. im sure she loves it. mens watches on ladies is often a very cool look. does she wear it on the lose side?

in stitches

Stylish Dinosaur
Spamminator Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score

Any thoughts on Bell & Ross?

can you be more specific? like many brands, i like some of their offerings, and dislike some others.

Gauss17

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Any thoughts on Bell & Ross?

I find them to be very overpriced for what you get. Kind of like a Hugo Boss suit, you pay for the name rather than anything substantial. Pretty sure they use completely unmodified ETA movements.

If I were going to get a watch in that style, I would rather go for a Sinn. They did designs for Bell and Ross, so it is no surprise they look similar. The Sinn is better made and less expensive.

chocsosa

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I am inheriting a Breiting watch from my dad for being a new dad to my little girl. It was purchased in the 90's and its a quartz. I dont see a lot of love on here for quartz watches being of course the art behind automatic movements. What is the general consensus behind the Breitling brand and one that's a quartz?

in stitches

Stylish Dinosaur
Spamminator Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score

I am inheriting a Breiting watch from my dad for being a new dad to my little girl. It was purchased in the 90's and its a quartz. I dont see a lot of love on here for quartz watches being of course the art behind automatic movements. What is the general consensus behind the Breitling brand and one that's a quartz?

i think the most significant value here will be the sentimental value, dont undervalue that at all. breitling makes plenty of fine watches, and there are some good looking quartz models out there, do you know which model this is?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads