The Watch Appreciation Thread (Reviews and Photos of Men's Timepieces by Rolex, Patek Philippe, Brei

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by gdl203, May 20, 2007.

Tags:
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Dino944

Dino944 Senior member

I agree with Jeff, I'm not a fan of Chanel watches. As for a Tank Francaise, I think you would have to go with a used one also. At least when I last looked on Cartier's website they had trimmed down that collection. There were none with diamonds and It did not even appear that they were making them in all gold. Also, I believe Cartiers that have diamonds are always in all gold, and even used I think that may exceed $8,000. You could certainly do a TF in all steel or steel and gold (neither have diamonds) and they would be well under your budget. My wife has used a large automatic TF as a daily wearer for nearly 10 years and she loves it. She did try a PP 24, but didn't want a quartz watch, although that might not matter to your wife.

2. Dino944

Dino944 Senior member

+1

Also very entertaining quote from Apropos...I think he hit upon many key points.

3. zippyh

zippyh Senior member

How about a JLC Reverso Duetto?

4. no frills

no frills Senior member

+1 for the JLC Reverso Duetto. Beautiful mirror polished finish, two faces offering versatility, manual movement for the enthusiast (although I will most likely have to do the winding and setting for my wife if I ever got her one).

5. Dino944

Dino944 Senior member

I have said they seem to be great quality. I just think the designs are incredibly bland and uninspiring. The Snowflake reminds me tribute to Omega. Sure there are people who buy them, but for that kind of money, I think I would be looking at Omega, Rolex, Breitling, maybe some less expensive JLCs. Each of those brands has models that are distinctive. The quality of a GS is great, but the designs just don't seem distinctive enough to differentiate them in a meaningful way from a standard Seiko.

As for the details, you describe, I just don't see much interms of intricate angles on the bezel, case or bracelet. The best I can say is their use of brushed and polished surfaces on the Snowflake again reminds me of Omega, which isn't bad...it just seems unoriginal. The dial, maybe thats personal taste, but I just don't like its rough finish. It doesn't have the same appeal as an engine turned dial, guilloche dial, or even a flat dial with a great use of color and depth. As another SF regular posted (can't remember which one) the textured dial could easily look tired and dated the way the old linen type of dials from the 70s look today. GSs are really well made, but I think they have a very limited appeal.

6. Dino944

Dino944 Senior member

+1 great idea guys. The Duetto is beautiful watch. My wife has said she wouldn't mind one for dress, but for everyday she wants an automatic. So whether this gift is intended to be worn daily and the practicality or lack there of is something the OP should consider. Lots of my women friends just want a quartz so they don't have to deal with winding it or setting the time if they don't wear it for a few days.

Last edited: Jan 29, 2013
  7. zippyh

zippyh Senior member

I bought one for my wife about 10 years ago.
    She loves it. She also almost never wears it.
    Mostly she wears her lady datejust.

8. in stitches

in stitches Kung Joo Moderator

9. no frills

no frills Senior member

For the holidays, I had a choice of getting my wife a Twenty-4 or a Rolex 69178 with a badongkadongks load of diamonds (three little ones in each bracelet link, for example). The Rolex actually doesn't come across as gaudy as one would imagine - at least when she's wearing it - unless you really stare and see all the bling. I thought she'd pick the Twenty-4 for sure. But I guess I should never underestimate the power of bling. Or the logic of "well, get me the Rolex for Christmas and then get me the Twenty-4 for our anniversary." Nice.

10. no frills

no frills Senior member

11. rnguy001

rnguy001 Senior member

This JLC is a great looking watch.

Also - I like hearing about what our significant others are wearing also.

Mine wears a men's 36 mm stainless steel DJ and she won't go anywhere without it. No diamonds, but I think it looks perfect on her.

12. in stitches

well, with your collection, ill bet its hard to say no. ;)

indeed. good idea.

i wanted to get one for my wife, but she refuses to wear any decent watch, cant even get het to wear a michele jelly bean. le sigh.

it is isnt it. :)

its a great watch the rolex. im sure she loves it. mens watches on ladies is often a very cool look. does she wear it on the lose side?

13. rnguy001

rnguy001 Senior member

Yup a little on the looser side. She also has a women's Speedmaster she loves. Her next watch is the two-tone version of her Rolex now. It complements are complexion well I think.

I would love to get her into JLC one day..

One day..

14. ErikW

ErikW Senior member

Any thoughts on Bell & Ross?

15. in stitches

can you be more specific? like many brands, i like some of their offerings, and dislike some others.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.