The Watch Appreciation Thread (Reviews and Photos of Men's Timepieces by Rolex, Patek Philippe, Brei

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by gdl203, May 20, 2007.

Tags:
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Dino944

Dino944 Senior member

Thank you. Very interesting. So that begs the question, do Subs and GMTs really measure out at 40mm? If so is it just due to the bezel?

Last edited: Jan 29, 2013

2. Belligero

Belligero Senior member

The 34-year-old one I just measured comes in at exactly 39.5 mm across the bezel and the case is about 38.5 mm at the narrowest part of the case excluding the bezel.

3. stafa

stafa Senior member

Yeah, this kind of baffles me. You have a brand that has been making watches for 100+ years, vertically integrated, and use in house movements that are regarded as very high quality. Apparently, they only produce 5-6k Grand Seiko pieces a year.

4. TheWraith

TheWraith Senior member

GS watches are popular enough. To suggest otherwise would be fibbing. They're great watches, too.

5. Dino944

Dino944 Senior member

I think lots of people can't get past the name Seiko, and think of all of their products as moderately priced good watches. They don't think of them as a producer of luxury time pieces worthy of spending a significant amount on, and there are many other highly regarded brands in its price range. The GSs are really well made, but for me the designs are rather uninspiring.

6. Dino944

Dino944 Senior member

Thanks for the info.

7. patrick_b

patrick_b Senior member

Bezel comes in right at 1.582" or 40mm. Crown guard gets in the way of an easy case measurement but it looks virtually the same to my eye. GMTIIC Ref. 116710

[​IMG]

8. johanm

johanm Senior member

There's a lot of hype and counter-hype about GS watches, but in the flesh they are actually pretty impressive IMO. Roughly you could divide their models into "modern" and "vintage inspired". The former category, such as the Snowflake posted above, are impressive in the same way as the Royal Oak - intricate angles, alternating brushed/polished surfaces, dial detailing, robust/accurate modern automatic movements, etc. The latter category reminds me of GO Senator Sixties or the 1950s Panerai models - classic/nostalgic feel with the dial and domed crystal and proportions but with the production quality of a modern luxury watch. If you're in NYC I suggest visiting the Tourneau concept store on 53rd/Madison to scope them out.

9. rnguy001

rnguy001 Senior member

Still under warranty from an AD, I noticed the power reserve was only about 15 hrs even on a full wind. Sent it back in through my local AD to have it repaired by JLC. Had about 5 months left on the original manufacture warranty too. I'm not a navy seals, didn't drop the watch, didn't dive with it over 300m, no extremes of temperatures etc so I thought this would be a simple process. After JLC has it for a month they tell the AD that I must've done something to damage the watch and it might not be covered. I almost lose my shit. I don't baby my watches but I don't mistreat them either, and this watch was purchased brand new from an AD in the first place so I thought I was in the clear here. Thankfully the AD convinced JLC to honor the warranty and a month later I have my watch back and working fine (presumably). No charge

Ill tell you the thought of having to pay extra for service though I was under warranty was extremely disheartening. I have no issue with watches having problems and needing service. But I would've been so disappointed if JLC didn't deliver in the customer service area the way they do by producing such great watches. In the end it all worked out and I can rest easy again.

Btw to be fair I did take my watch to the driving range a few times. Lesson learned, but I guess it's too much trauma for this watch, though JLC would have you believe it's built in collaboration with SEAL standards?

10. in stitches

in stitches Kung Joo Moderator

measurements aside, these are really cool pics.

11. olivier.nyc

olivier.nyc Senior member

Hi everyone.

I am considering getting a watch for my wife as a present for the birth of our daughter.

I know her taste so I did narrow it down to the Chanel Première white ceramic or a Cartier tank Française with diamonds. A friend of mine suggested a twenty4. It is beautiful (at least on the pictures I saw)

With a budget up to 8k, it would have to be pre-owned, which is never really ideal for a gift....

What should I do ?

12. jeff13007

jeff13007 Senior member

I have to agree here. I really hate being a brand snob but not matter how many people fawn over GS, i doubt there are many that would take one over a rolex. This quote from another thread pretty much says it

13. jeff13007

jeff13007 Senior member

Im not sure about the pricing now but 3 years ago you could have gotten a new Cartier Tank for under that. Those might have been the quartz ones though. I would stay away from Chanel as i don't think they are a watch/jewelry maker. The twenty 4, if you decide to go that route you are probably gonna have to buy it pre-owned and to fit in your budget its gonna have to be the stainless steel one as well.

14. zeero3

zeero3 Senior member

I was that guy who bought it! Thanks Warren. I bought it for myself after I bought 2 for my best men as a wedding present. I really loved it but ended up giving it to my father-in-law because I already have a white dial dress watch (Blue Spark) and rarely dress up as it is. Warren's right though, I always wear my Blue Spark, but realized the Bambino got more looks/comments from others. I still get a little jealous when I see my best men or father-in-law wearing em!

15. in stitches

in stitches Kung Joo Moderator

Between the tank and the 24 its hard to go wrong imo, its more a matter of taste. Used would not bother me for a gift if its in excellent condition. Good luck and im sure she will love whatever you get her.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.