1. Styleforum Gives - Holiday Charity Auction 7: A Made-to-Measure suit from Lanieri

We are very proud to present this year's edition of the Styleforum Holiday Charity Auctions, this year in support of the Ronald McDonald House Charities of Spokane (www.rmhcspokane.org). Each Auction lasts 24 hours. Please follow and bid on all the auctions.

The 6th auction of the year is for a Made-to-measure suit from Lanieri. Please bid often and generously here

Fok and the Styleforum Team.

Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice

STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

The Watch Appreciation Thread (Reviews and Photos of Men's Timepieces by Rolex, Patek Philippe, Brei

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by gdl203, May 20, 2007.

Tags:
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. suaviter

suaviter Senior Member

What model is this? That looks great and I've been looking for something simple/dressy/reasonably priced and this looks like a winner.

2. in stitches

in stitches Kung Joo Moderator

i have never, actually. i have mixed feelings on the whole thing. i know there are ways to get repairs done well and fard cheaper, and it is just a crystal, but then i wonder if if something went wrong, id be pissed for not shelling out to do it the best way. im torn. :(

good luck.

he-larry-ous. amazing.

3. ant702

ant702 Senior Member

I liked this watch, but didnt like the metal bracelet or the crown! I always wore the black change-out strap! That crown looks great,but hard to grasp! Did you have some of the same qualms?

4. apropos

apropos Distinguished Member

My RSC experiences have been hit/miss over the years but I think it is a fair statement to say that over the last 5-10 years, compulsory unnecessary servicing addons, sharply escalating servicing prices, and a "take it or leave it" approach to customer wishes has gained a fair bit of ground.

5. academe

academe Distinguished Member

Love how the article has just dismissed us all as a bunch of douche bags! :)

Last edited: Jan 25, 2013

6. ~ B ~

~ B ~ Senior Member

The process of engraving balance cocks by hand, the old-fashioned way without use of computers and electronics.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

7. Sander

Sander Distinguished Member

:lol:

There's a lot of truth in it though.

8. academe

academe Distinguished Member

Speak for yourself mate! :D

Last edited: Jan 25, 2013

9. ~ B ~

~ B ~ Senior Member

Beijing enamel dial guilloche watch

[​IMG]

with 3/4 plate movement and chatons

[​IMG]

Bespoke engraving on movement

[​IMG]

10. recondite

recondite Senior Member

In order:

Old School Big Three: PP, VC, AP
    New School Big Three: Philippe Dufour, F.P. Journe, ALS

In my mind, Breguet, Girrard Peregaux, and JLC are first tier but not first rank . JLC has some great values.

Other marques worth considering: Voutilainen, Speake-Marin, Becsei, L&H, and others

YMMV

11. Belligero

Belligero Distinguished Member

To be fair, I've had similar thoughts about a certain type of person wearing something like a Breitling for Bentley watch, as the article aptly uses for illustrative purposes.

12. cbfn

cbfn Distinguished Member

One of the more humorous articles I've read in a while, esp. this I've found true:

"Oh this? Yeah. Better be. Sixteen grand, right here. Ha. This is just my walking-around watch, you know? A little Tourneau, a little something. It's nice, but I don't give a fuck if I lose it, you know? I'll go out drinking in this watch. The Patek Phillippes, I keep at home. I only break those out on special occasions. Just for little parties and shit like this, I got this one, I got the Movado, I got the B-vvv-lgari, and I got the Vacheron. That one, I bought at the auction. People don't know about Vacheron. You got guys out there, they think Rolex is the thing. They think Rollies are like the nicest watch there is. That's amateur hour. Me, I don't even own a Rolex. Rolex makes you look like an asshole. Every time I see a guy in a Rolex I walk up to him and say, 'You see this? This is a fucking Richard Mille. This right here is worth more than ten of your shitty Rolexes.' Then I laugh at him and walk away. This watch thing is really about taste."

My father got a Omega Seamaster Planet Ocean XL, Panerai PAM00372 and a gold/metal Rolex Datejust, he must be the devil to you guys. :lol:

13. in stitches

in stitches Kung Joo Moderator

it was awesome. i was laughing at all their beer bellies and trailer homes.

tbh tho, that watch is hideous.

14. jeff13007

jeff13007 Distinguished Member

lol that was funny, but in all honesty most people with the vacherons, pateks, etc probably have or have had a rolex in their collection at some point

15. rnguy001

rnguy001 Distinguished Member

Picking up my JLC NSA which is coming back from service today (3 months - not bad!) Wearing this in the meantime. I know it's a little different and not necessarily SF approved but I love the unique place it holds in my collection

Have a great weekend everyone

[​IMG]

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.