The Watch Appreciation Thread (Reviews and Photos of Men's Timepieces by Rolex, Patek Philippe, Brei

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by gdl203, May 20, 2007.

Tags:
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Keen

Keen Senior member

So, finally made it thru the thread. Some awesome watches in here. I'll contribute my meager IWC.

[​IMG]

Next purchase, still a few years away, would be a AP RO white face (15400). Grail watch now is probably AL&S Lange 1 moonphase or Zeitwerk.

2. dddrees

dddrees Senior member

Amazing, simply amazing.

Well done sir.

3. in stitches

in stitches Kung Joo Moderator

4. no frills

no frills Senior member

Thanks for the kind words. That's pretty much the extent of my small collection - three Pateks (3940P, 5040J, 5711/1A) and one Rolex (114270, Explorer I). The madness of collecting came over me about two months ago and that's when I went through my purchases and trades (used to have two Calatravas in the stable too), but this current set gave me a measure of peace. I still look at what's out there (and for some strange reason, my AD and grey market dealers send me offers every week), but I don't feel that compelling urge to get another piece or trade in one I currently have. I am not sure how long this will last, though haha.

If there's any theme to what I'm currently looking at (but not immediately getting), it's a chronograph. I'm thinking of getting either a Rolex Daytona (I'm attracted to either the 16520 with a white dial / Zenith movement or the updated 116520 version with an in-house movement) or an Omega Speedmaster Pro (if I go this route I'd like a transparent caseback so I guess that would be the 3573.5 or the like). I like the history, workmanship and aesthetics of these two.

Of course there is also the appeal of a Patek perpetual calendar chronograph like the 3970 or the 5970, but these are six-figure watches (pre-owned or not) and that price point does make me pause. :)

Any thoughts from you guys re: Rolex Daytona 16520 or 116520 versus the Omega Speedy Pro with a display back? Inputs always appreciated.

5. in stitches

in stitches Kung Joo Moderator

Dino and academe, excellent posts, i really enjoyed reading them.

i was very glad to see that my love for AP is shared, and you guys were able to really explain more than i did what is so great about the AP marque. as well, it was cool that 2 of the watches that academe posted, were ones i chose to highlight as well on my earlier post.

also, you both reminded me, that when i said i first got into watches at 20, i really meant high end watches. my love for watches started probably around 9 or 10 with my calculator watch, then i got a few nicer dress watches for my bar mitzvah, followed by my first "fancy" watch, an esq when i was 15. from there i started learning about jlc and iwc and so i continued deeper down the rabbit hole.

as well, dino, you reminded me about all the watch catalogues i ordered, i cant believe i forgot that. that was one of the biggest learning instruments i had. i went and found the phone number to every watch company i could think of and called to ask for a catalogue. i still have them, well over 100. i learned a tremendous amount reading through them (many of them really are books, not catalogues. funny though that rolex and patek have the skimpiest ones ime). between the pictures of all the models, the watch write ups, and the history write ups as well, i probably took the biggest chunk of my watch learning from those catalogues.

in short, i love watches.

6. Cylon

Cylon Senior member

Personally, I prefer the 3572--you have a hesalite front and a sapphire caseback. More important for me though is the fact the wording on the back states "first watch worn on the moon," whereas the 3573 states, "the first and only watch worn on the moon."

This discrepancy was curious to me so I did a little investigation

For those who do not wish to click, here's the relevant info:

Quote:
    This was of critical importance to me. I understand Omega relies heavily on their NASA heritage and thats OK, but cmon theres no need to make stuff up. If I couldn't locate a 3572, I would have purchased the solid caseback version.

As for daytonas, not particularly my cup of tea so I don't know much about them. Dino can probably fill you in [​IMG]

..but for bang for buck factor my vote is w the speedy[​IMG]

Last edited: Jan 24, 2013

7. no frills

no frills Senior member

Thanks for this pretty critical input: I'm a big Patek fan but I don't think I'm a crazed "only Patek for me" devotee. But a big part of what attracted me to the Speedy Pro is its history, and if the 3573.5 shows a bit of exaggeration then that's a no-no for me.

Any idea about the durability of the hesalite front versus sapphire crystal re: scratches and nicks? Or does it not matter much?

The 3592.5 also has a caseback - and looks historically accurate. :)

8. Cylon

Cylon Senior member

It took me a long time to decide on hesalite v sapphire. If you google it, there are many discussions on many forums about the subject.

You can look on it on multiple levels:

1. historically accurate--not just for the caseback but the front as well! NASA used hesalite because it wouldn't shatter. Glass shards and sensitive electronics do not make for a smooth ride.

2. you get a slight distortion around the edges of the hesalite when looking at the dial. Again not for everyone, but I must admit its charming.

3. milky ring--the sapphire glass has a milky white ring around the edge which I did not like so much (and no distortion).

4. scuffs on hesalite--thats true but polywatch will fix it. Also hesalite is much cheaper to replace so even if it bothers you itll cost much less. And frankly it looks cool in its own way.

I think if I were you i'd say this: you already have plenty of beautiful pristine dress watches. It's time to get a lil down and dirty with a hesalite speedy tool watch

9. no frills

no frills Senior member

You make a rather compelling argument. Let's see what I can do about finding a 3572.5.

10. Cylon

Cylon Senior member

Apologies for completely forgetting about the 3592 point

the diff is:

3592 uses the 863 caliber and is in yellow gilt

3572 uses 1863 caliber and is rhodium plated

Last edited: Jan 24, 2013

11. Dino944

Dino944 Senior member

Glad you enjoyed them. I think its fun to see how brands marketed their products, how they viewed us as consumers, and to see vintage styles and prices.

Your 5711 is very handsome...to bad you couldn't take its photo next to Capt. Nemo's Nautiuls.

12. MSchott

MSchott Active Member

Yes AP makes a lot of sort of blingy LE watches but if you see one up close, the quality is immediately evident. They make nearly all their movements in-house now and their haute horology department is among the best. It would be a mistake not to rate them at a level with PP and VC.

13. MSchott

MSchott Active Member

There are many great chronographs on the market. Uses Daytona's can be pricey beyond their value as a watch but will maintain their resale value. Speedy Pro's are fine and classic pieces but IMO nothing special.

If I were you I'd look for an actual Zenith with the El Primero movement. Rolex slowed the movement from 36,000 VPH to 28,800 VPH for some reason, possibly to meet some reliability standard but the El Primero is known to be extremely reliable at it's designed speed. It also makes the movement more interesting. I own a Class Sport El Primero hand wind and it's a great watch. Let me offer 3 other choices, all with the wonderful FP 1185 integrated chronograph movement. One is a Blancpain Leman Flyback, either in the older 38mm case of the more recent 40mm case with large date, the VC Overseas Chronograph like the one shown a few posts above or the AP Royal Oak chronograph which is a spectacular watch. I am not referring to the Offshore chronograph by the way which uses a chronograph module on top of an AP movement.

14. academe

academe Senior member

Pity that Waltham has never really been able to capitalise on this bit of trivia...Funny to think that they don't even appear on many WIS radars. I had to look them up to find out more!

15. ThinkDerm

ThinkDerm Senior member

where/who do you buy from?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.