The Watch Appreciation Thread (Reviews and Photos of Men's Timepieces by Rolex, Patek Philippe, Brei

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by gdl203, May 20, 2007.

Tags:
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Warren G.

Warren G. Senior member

enjoying my day off. what are you guys wearing today?

[​IMG]

2. no frills

no frills Senior member

Today I'm wearing the 5040J along with a pair of very comfortable Gaziano & Girling boots (pic I shared this morning in the G&G Appreciation Thread).

As for the "I'm about to spring into action" shot, that's just in line with what I do every day as a desk worker...

[​IMG]

3. DerekS

DerekS Guyliner

great pic!! love the shoes as well...but that patek...:drool:

4. in stitches

in stitches Kung Joo Moderator

great watch. i posted my watch waywrn earlier. :)

no frills - cool pic. awesome watch.

5. Lebowski10

Lebowski10 Member

Hey everyone,

what do you guys think of Ball watches? I own a Tag Formula 1 (college grad present) and am looking to start building a collection now that funds are coming in. Ideally, something a bit more dressy than my sporty black dial Tag. I had planned to pick up a Hamilton Jazzmaster Viewmatic (http://www.hamiltonwatch.com/en/ladies/american-classic/jazzmaster/viewmatic-auto/H32515555) as my dress watch...and probably still will (is this SF approved?)...but not next. The reason I'm looking into Ball - I was recently presented with the opportunity to pick one up at 60% off retail price from a friend working at an AD. This puts them into my $800-$1000 price range, and I figure I can get "more watch for the buck" as my research indicates good quality and a cool history. What do you guys think about the following two?

http://www.tourneau.com/shop/brand/ball-watch/trainmaster-eternity-51405p

http://www.tourneau.com/shop/brand/ball-watch/fireman-victory-51393p

Both are available in different faces and straps...I'm leaning towards a silver face with a brown leather strap to be a bit more on the dressy side...but open to whatever

Whats the SF input on these? (apologies if this post should be in the poor man's watch thread - not sure where the dividing line is)

6. jeff13007

jeff13007 Senior member

Honestly I've never heard of Ball before but I'm just starting to learn about watches so don't let that stop you. IMO "SF approved" is a very grey term when it comes to these things, in general if it represents good quality for the money then it should be considered SF approved. However you have those cases where if the watch doesn't say Patek Philippe, Vacheron Constantin, Audemars Piguet, Breguet, A. Lange Sohne on it then its automatically a "crap watch". I personally don't believe in the latter as i think its silly but you will always have those watch snobs around. In response to your second question if you are going for a dress watch i would go for the first one. I really like the silver watch face and think the design is a classic. These are just my opinions btw but hopefully someone with experience with Ball watches chimes in.

7. marvin100

marvin100 Senior member

Ball does have a great history, but I'm not sure it's an unbroken line. I bet Stich can fill us in on that.

As for the watches, well, some of their offerings look great to me, and the prices are of course a plus, but they also make some hideous objects that I wouldn't want in my home, to say nothing of on my wrist. At the deal you're getting, if you choose wisely I think you'll be a happy camper.

8. jeff13007

jeff13007 Senior member

For those AP lovers. I love the minute repeater at the end

9. academe

academe Senior member

^

Thanks for sharing. I'd forgotten about this video. I'm wearing mine today! Was pleased to see a flash of the black-dialled version of my watch in the video. :slayer:

[​IMG]

Last edited: Jan 23, 2013

10. academe

academe Senior member

On the theme of APs, I'm liking the new SIHH 2013 offerings from Le Brassus (pics borrowed from TimeZone):

Tradition Minute Repeater Tourbillon Chronograph:
    [​IMG]

ROO Ceramic Chronograph:
    [​IMG]

And my personal favourite, the ROO Ceramic Diver:
    [​IMG]

The new Ceramic Diver has made me re-think my plans for buying the Extra Thin Jules Audemars, though I probably don't need another sports watch!

11. no frills

no frills Senior member

Thank you for sharing these pics. These new offerings are gorgeous!

12. papa kot

papa kot Senior member

Ball watches not what I would call dressy. Go try one one and you will see for yourself. I did. The cases are too big, the hands are too rough. The tubes filled with tritium are simply ugly. In fact, I do not see a single reason for purchasing a Ball watch given the alternatives that exist in the market.

I know, I too wanted to like those watches, but every time I go to an AD I come out disappointed.

Also do not let the company history fool you: It is true that at some point in time there was an American company that produced watches for railroads, but that company does not exist any more, as the rights to use the name of the company were sold years ago.

It sounds like you need a dress watch and to me this means a leather strap, a thin profile and no complications. May I suggest a pre-owned Zenith or a vintage Omega? If that is too much $, go with a Seiko. Recently I have seen a picture of a nice dress Seiko in the "Poor man's watch thread" and it looked exceptionally nice. Many folks do not know this, but Seiko is actually one of the true watch manufacturers with a very long history of watchmaking. Their watches are not really appreciated in the West and it is a shame...

13. academe

academe Senior member

The new ceramic pieces really stand out for me; a blend of tradition connecting to APs historic past and modern design/materials. The ROO Diver in its many forms I think is also a great 21st century re-interpretation of the original Genta design.

14. academe

academe Senior member

For JLC fans, one of my favourites from SIHH 2013, the new version of the Master Calendar (pics again from TimeZone):

[​IMG]

Overall I like the proportions and dial layout better than before. Looks like the dial echoes the current MUT Moon. I like that they dropped the power reserve indicator; it made the previous version look a bit too busy. Bezel looks a bit slimmer than in previous iterations, giving the dial itself a slightly more generous look. Thoughts?

15. rnguy001

rnguy001 Senior member

I like the Hamiltons you showed. The Ball Fireman Victory is pretty nice as well especially at a deep discount. I could see it on a brown strap too if you wanted. Both are pretty solid watches, BALLs are known for their line of watches being more rugged/sportier. They certainly can have a distinct look to them that can put a lot of people off. But I actually think that the Fireman model you picked is pretty restrained.

That Ceramic Diver is incredible.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.