The Watch Appreciation Thread (Reviews and Photos of Men's Timepieces by Rolex, Patek Philippe, Brei

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by gdl203, May 20, 2007.

Tags:
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. no frills

no frills Senior member

Wow, that's exquisite!

2. Kyle is raaddd

Kyle is raaddd Active Member

Here is my first auto diver,
    Sorry it is very 'poverty' compared to the pieces I have been seeing lately [​IMG]

Orient Mako w/NATO
    [​IMG]
    Even busted out the 'ol 50 for it

Last edited: Jan 21, 2013

3. Warren G.

Warren G. Senior member

It is a great watch. My cousin wore that exact same watch for years.

4. NDND2012

NDND2012 Active Member

Sweet watch! The black on black is cool. I like the superocean heritage a lot.
    [​IMG]
    Wife gave to me as engagement present

5. jeff13007

jeff13007 Senior member

One more post from your collection and I'm moving to the Poor mans watch thread! I mean it! lol jk, you have some beautiful pieces my friend.

6. Newcomer

Newcomer Senior member

Don't worry about it! The Orient Mako is a great watch. Probably my most worn watch on a daily basis to be honest!

[​IMG]

It has taken BEYOND a beating, and is still a great timekeeper. Although of course I prefer my Speedy, I love being able to wear a watch with no reservations. I could not say enough good things about Orient, I strongly recommend their products, and will probably be picking up a Bambino soon.

7. no frills

no frills Senior member

That NATO strap is very cool. I am considering having the metal bracelet on my Explorer replaced with a Nato strap for the summer, but does it wear/absorb sweat well?

8. no frills

no frills Senior member

Thanks a bunch, jeff13007... I made a bit of a mistake in my first few attempts, getting a 5119 and a 3919 in line with my "heirloom criteria" so that I can pass along similar timepieces to my children... but found that the two were a bit too alike. Traded them in for the perpetual calendars (and a bunch of other old watches, and of course they still busted a hole in my wallet) and really feel like I achieved a sense of peace ("end game")... I still look at other watches but I no longer feel that burning itch that needs to be scratched real quick...

9. jeff13007

jeff13007 Senior member

Yea i can see where you are coming from. Btw question about the calendars, the annual calender is the one that accounts for the febuary 28 days right? and the perpetual is the one that accounts for leap years?

10. no frills

no frills Senior member

Actually, the annual calendar compensates for all days of the month EXCEPT February... so they will basically need to be reset on March 1 every year. Perpetual accounts for every month and leap years... so technically speaking as long as you keep it running you don't ever have to have it miss dates, ever. Of course if you have it serviced once every five years that kind of means it won't run "perpetually"...

11. Hayward

Hayward Senior member

This, for me, would be an "end game watch." It's truly sublime, and from a marque I would've never considered before. Also, (vintage) ROLECKS ROOLS MANG

12. jeff13007

jeff13007 Senior member

Ahh gotcha thanks i was a bit confused about that but you cleared it up

13. jeff13007

jeff13007 Senior member

Interesting that your brought up the whole Europe thing because off my friends/people I've met while living in NYC the only ones who have heard of VC had been Europeans. And surprisingly they were young around 21-25ish

14. MGLL

MGLL Active Member

Well, it took me over 2 months but I have finally read the whole thread! I would just like to say congratulations and thank you on a great read that has taken me from an admirer of watches to a full on WIS! I have decided to purchase my first "proper" watch and have selected the IWC Ingenieur 3227-01 for its classic looks, Genta heritage, in-house movement, and versatility, as well as it's limited production run. I am currently in talks with a dealer over purchasing a mint example. Thoughts would be greatly appreciated. My criteria is that it is a stainless steel sports/tool watch that I can wear often and in different situations e.g. to a meeting as well as in a T and jeans.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

15. Newcomer

Newcomer Senior member

Just saw this on TPP... My goodness gracious... The "Kari Voutilainen Masterpiece Chronograph II"

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Supposedly 10 were made, and it was close to 3 years in production. Insane. Large Date and Moonphase display, and instantaneous jumping minute and date.

Spectacular for an indy.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.