The Watch Appreciation Thread (Reviews and Photos of Men's Timepieces by Rolex, Patek Philippe, Brei

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by gdl203, May 20, 2007.

Tags:
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. mimo

mimo Pernicious Enabler

We are on the same page, my friend.

In an age where we all carry an auto-updating cellphone, or an extremely accurate quartz digital watch costs $5 from the gas station, the act of buying a really expensive, maintenance-hungry, fragile and overtly-stealable means of telling the time, seems utterly stupid. The watches in this thread are cumbersome, expensive unnecessarily complicated to make, and essentially unnecessary at all.

But that's the point, isn't it? Personally, I have one "proper" watch - a scruffy manual Omega that my mother gave to my father around 1970. It needed some fixing up, and is probably worth about $200 at best if I stick it on eBay. But I like it. Not just because of sentimental history, but because I like the fact that it's a machine. Old fashioned, full of moving parts that some Swiss person with thick glasses put together and made work by the power of a tiny spring, that I have to remember to bend a little each day with a tiny wheel. It's a tiny, complicated little machine from another age, that I carry around on my wrist. And that's neat.

I totally get how people can obsess about these things. In an age where everything is increasingly mass-produced and disposable, the hand-made, complicated, labour-intensive and unusual, is all the more precious. Personally I kind of like shoes. I restrain myself from the most expensive excesses, but the passion for that old-fashioned artisan effort is there. Thankfully, I'm still just about able to resist spending a fortune on a watch, but the fascination is definitely growing - the more I know, the more I am absorbed! For every additional bit of engineering genius, or hideously demanding human effort, the interest deepens. Like you said, whether it's a one-off modified Ducati, an innovative piece of architecture, or a hand-stitched wing tip, it's the beauty and what goes into it that makes it special.

The member "No Frills", above, appears to have gone from quartz utility, to BMW-priced awesomeness after a mere three months of reading this shit. That PP is what, $60k or thereabouts? Damn! I can put one of my kids through college for that! But having read all this for the last six months or so (I only joined to sell a pair of shoes!), I can't call him crazy. This is a madness that I totally get. I only hope I can hold back for the sake of my children/pension/sanity!

Anyway, thanks again for sharing this engaging information - I'll probably succumb one of these days, but for now I'll keep doing weird things in weird places and order some more shoes. And reading all these awesome posts, for later...

(Added for completeness, as I've shared before some time ago: my scruffy old Omega - new glass, hands and crown to replace non-original 1970s repair, a service and a cheap practical strap. No bling, but it still gives me pleasure.)

[​IMG]

Last edited: Jan 20, 2013

2. no frills

no frills Senior member

It is a peculiar form of madness, isn't it? I chalk it up to a midlife crisis, and a bit of luck that I've been able to save and grow my family's money over the last 15 years so that I'm not necessarily impoverishing my children (and I have two) from doing this. In the process, my wife also received a couple of fine timepieces. So I guess that's how I got away with these last few purchases haha! But it is not something I recommend for everyone. P.S. The "upgrade" I went through also included shoes. I went from deals at DSW to Corthay, Gaziano and Girling and Edward Green. Sigh. Madness.

3. ant702

ant702 Senior member

Good to know, good typing, I'm a vanpire, time to sleep, take it easy[​IMG]

4. dddrees

dddrees Senior member

Not surprised, but I'm kind of disapointed. I'll never understand why some people desire to try to get people excited or attempt to insult them for no apparent reason.

5. marvin100

marvin100 Senior member

This is one definition of trolling. You'll find you have a more pleasant time and people will enjoy your company more if you say what you mean and engage in dialogue rather than strive to "generate" it with hyperbole and histrionics.

FWIW I've heard the Omega coaxial movements are fantastic.

6. Dino944

Dino944 Senior member

I suppose its a form of entertainment for some. I didn't mind, just gave me a bit of debating practice.[​IMG]

They are making some very good movements. However, the only watch of theirs that presents a very strong temptation for me is the classic manual wind Speedy Pro.

7. dddrees

dddrees Senior member

I found your post to be a great read.

Thanks for posting.

8. johanm

johanm Senior member

I really like this post. No one should feel pressure to wear a watch, let alone throw down significant money for an expensive watch. Watches have little practical utility - there are much more effective and inexpensive ways to tell time, appreciate human ingenuity and craftsmanship, improve your appearance, impress strangers, signal taste, etc. IMO the only reason to buy a watch is the enjoyment you get when you look down at your wrist.

+1. Must say that the quality of Dino's analysis is far superior to anything I've read on the dedicated watch forums.

9. jeff13007

jeff13007 Senior member

True but the same can be said about luxury shoes/ suits/ shirts/ties. And if we stop talking about all of that this forum would be redundant and we would all have to go back to being lonely in our parent's basements because we would have no one to talk to.

10. Newcomer

Newcomer Senior member

+1.

I think that the Watch Appreciation Thread is easily one of the best and most informative threads on teh forvm. I feel like most of the regulars post very informative and interesting posts, and really spend time thinking about what they write. This thread is definitely not as 'fast paced' or dramatic as some of the other threads, but this is probably the only place that I check many, many times per day.

I just hope the quality keeps up.

11. in stitches

in stitches Kung Joo Moderator

as do i. some of the past few pages have been making me sad. especially any possible trolling.

12. Newcomer

Newcomer Senior member

Ditto. Hopefully GDL can clean some of this up.

13. Dino944

Dino944 Senior member

Thanks dddrees. I greatly appreciate it and I'm glad you enjoyed my post.
    Johan, you are too kind. Thank you.
    Thanks Gents,

I have really enjoyed this thread and interacting with all of our SF regulars. I have learned so much from each of you. It's great to come here to exchange ideas, experiences, and watch information with others that share a passion for beautiful watches.

14. Dino944

Dino944 Senior member

[​IMG]

Just a quick photo of one of my favorite dress watches (wore it to dinner tonight). I like this photo because you can see the various layers of the dial, the applied marker raised above the dial, some of the outline around the applied markers and then the sunken subdial for seconds. You can also see the facets on the hands if you look closely. This was the first dress watch I ever purchased after getting my first real job.

15. Newcomer

Newcomer Senior member

Really a very cool watch Dino. It certainly looks like a very dynamic watch. I am not the best at describing these sorts of things, but I really like the "recurring" square and quadrilateral theme of the watch. To be completely honest, it is the type of watch that I think I would pass over when looking for a new watch, but that I wish that I would not. For some reason I am not overly drawn to Tonneau or Square-shaped watches, but this one is absolutely spectacular. The lugs are something else as well.

I think I have come to the conclusion that VC makes my favorite dress watches--at least simple three handers. They have some absolutely spectacular watches, both from their current collection and vintage. I think Patek takes the cake with Perpetual Calendars, Perpetual Calendar Chronos, and the like, but VC really knows how to make some wonderful simple watches.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

They have that certain je ne sais quoi that I cannot seem to find in other brands. Almost a whimsical characteristic.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.