The Watch Appreciation Thread (Reviews and Photos of Men's Timepieces by Rolex, Patek Philippe, Brei

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by gdl203, May 20, 2007.

Tags:
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Goodman

Goodman Senior member

[​IMG]

For better or worse I went big and hefty. 45mm 210. I've been using it predominantly as my dress watch for the past 9 years. I would love to try the 42mm version of the watch - but wouldn't be the best use of my funds at this time.

2. johanm

johanm Senior member

Watch magnetism is a real thing. Recently I left my RO near some speakers and it started running about 20 seconds/day fast. Was totally freaked out, took it to the AP boutique, they diagnosed it as magnetized and put it through their demagnetization machine, and now it's back to dead on accuracy. If I worked near a lot of electronics (hospital, university lab, etc) I would probably seek out a watch with at least some level of anti magnetic protection.

3. Dino944

Dino944 Senior member

Its a real thing, but rather limited. You made an honest mistake and it probably won't happen again. Also thats a mild effect on your watch. My wife works in a hospital and her automatic Cartier Tank Francaise became magnitized twice. When her watch became magnetized it was off by hours. We realized it was because her department was directly across from the MRI department. We did start looking at antimagnetic watches, but once her department moved to a different part of the building she stopped having problems with her watch becoming magnetized.

The real need for an antimagnetic watch is probably limited to a few work enviroments. I think most people buying antimagnetic watches do it as a novelety. Much in the way that someone has pointed out that people buy diving watches watches with helium escape valves...most owners never do prolonged deep see diving where they are living in an environment with a mixture of helium and oxygen, hence the helium escape valve is unnecessary. I imagine most current Milgauss owners work at a desk with a computer and a very limited exposure to magnetism...hell Rolex could barely give the originals away when they were around in the 1960s and 1970s and eventually just made them a special order item. Rolex revived the name and function when they saw how expensive vintage Milgausses had become.

Last edited: Jan 18, 2013

4. PartagasIV

PartagasIV Senior member

I did purchase my Omega SMP 36mm shortly after a summer job and getting my SCUBA license at 14, but you're entirely correct--maybe one of every five thousand dive watches is used in its intended manner? :laugh:

5. johanm

johanm Senior member

That's a fair point, going forward I'm definitely not going to store my watches near speakers. The fact that it jumped to 20 seconds a day and not minutes per hour as I've seen reported online was actually why I was so spooked - I ruled out the magnetism diagnosis and thought the mechanicals broke.

6. kentyman

kentyman Senior member

Sorry, but in conditions like these maybe quartz makes more sense.

7. dopey

dopey Senior member Dubiously Honored

As I have mentioned beofre, I have had real problems with my old bumper-wind automatic Omega becoming magnetized. It was off by several minutes a day. My watchmaker blamed it on the fact that I kept my cellphone in the left hip pocket of my suitcoat, so it was frequently near my watch (he says cell-phones and metal detectors are the most common culprits). Once my watch was demagneitzed it worked fine (though not as perfectly as when first serviced) and changing my cellphone habits has eliminate the problem for now. I suspect the vintage of the watch makes it more vulnerable than modern movements.

8. Cantabrigian

Cantabrigian Senior member

You think even that many?

A lot of the entry-level watches from the major (or best advertised brands) have dive bezels so they sell a ton of them.

I've worn a Planet Ocean or Colt GMT maybe twice - more just to say I did. Worrying about a watch sliding off is the last thing I want to be thinking about on the rare occasions that I get in the water.

9. Dino944

Dino944 Senior member

I've worn modern Rolex watches (Sub, Explorer 2, and Daytona) through lots of metal detectors and had them near cell phones and never hand any issues with magnetization...so I suspect as you have mentioned your vintage watch is more vulnerable.

10. Kaplan

Kaplan Senior member

I get what you mean, but I don't mind watches being created to some very specific needs, like a Seadweller or Milgauss, even though I'll never have a need for their specific capabilities.

What I'm not a fan of, is when they take a watch like the Ingenieur and craps all over it's raison d'être and slaps on a display back. That's just sad. Then they might as well just make dive watches with bezels that doesn't turn and chronos with nonfunctioning sub dials.

For the same reason I'm not a fan of display backs on Speedy 'moonwatches' or on my own Luminor, though those aren't as :facepalm:'y as the Inges. IMHO.

11. Keith T

Keith T TWAT Master.

I had a pretty good Nautilus stiffy going until you all brought me down with the magnetism talk. :D

12. Zeppelin

Zeppelin Senior member

Is this for real? Even w/o the lightning second hand you clearly see where this is (would be) coming from. Sorry Omega, your goal seems to be to rival Rolex, but with these blunt moves (Vesper's speech anyone?) you rather help your rival than anything else...

13. papa kot

papa kot Senior member

14. Cantabrigian

Cantabrigian Senior member

Then you haven't seen many watches

15. Cant kill da Rooster

Cant kill da Rooster Senior member

I think if both hands were arrows and the second a solid yellow it would look pretty good. Perhaps a little to close to the AT but still, not ugly. Does the internal bezel rotate? I hope so.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.