• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The Watch Appreciation Thread (Reviews and Photos of Men's Timepieces by Rolex, Patek Philippe, Brei

Status
Not open for further replies.

in stitches

Stylish Dinosaur
Spamminator Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
^^ very nice ^^

...but part of the luxury of splurging for something that is platinum is that its something only you know and can appreciate everytime you feel its heft.  Great watch!

the little diamond on the bottom of the case between the lugs is also a cool touch with the PP platinum models.

Thanks Stitch.  The Squadra is a bit thick for me, but a beautifu watch.  Seeing all the beautiful JLCs here definitely makes me want to add a Reverso to my collection at some point.

thanks. :)

ant702

Reaction score
I like this very much.
Omega rules with an iron movement, excellent,
stirpot.gif
icon_gu_b_slayer[1].gif
very cool stuff! Is it in production yet?

Newcomer

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score

Wait a minute - you've been lurking with this beauty in the stable? You need to please share more of your collection!

Congrats on an amazing piece. I agree with your sentiments entirely. Getting happiness and joy from ones watch be it a Patek, Jaeger or Casio is what it's all about when alls said and done

+ about 1000. Absolutely gorgeous watches. One of my dream watches, for sure.

in stitches

Stylish Dinosaur
Spamminator Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
ddd - i love that nautilus so much.

Dino944

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I guess I admire their restraint in not adding a lightningbolt second hand but otherwise it seems a bit too derivative.
I don't know...I think the "bumble bee" striped second hand is a little goofy, and overall it just looks like another AT. Nice but not ground breaking.
Couldn't agree more.

Wearing this one today.

Beautiful Nautilus! For some reason, I find its design far more appealing than its sportier sibling, the Aquanaut (although both are nice watches).

Last edited:

dddrees

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
ddd - i love that nautilus so much.

I don't know...I think the "bumble bee" striped second hand is a little goofy, and overall it just looks like another AT. Nice but not ground breaking.
Beautiful Nautilus! For some reason, I find its design far more appealing than its sportier sibling, the Aquanaut (although both are nice watches).
Thanks guys.

apropos

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Hi, everyone! Been lurking for months and learned a lot of stuff from you all. Read through all 1,130+ pages (and counting) in this thread, along with some other sites, and after living most of my life with a couple of forgettable quartz pieces I decided to take the plunge last November to upgrade the collection. Started with some classic mechanical pieces, grew restless after a short while so did some trades and upgrades (some of you will know this drill - I went through "the purge" with my clothes and shoes as well). Finally achieved some "peace" with my current collection. Here's one of my faves: Do folks on the street recognize what this is on my wrist? Not really. Can people tell the difference between white gold and the subtle beauty and heft of this platinum beauty? I don't think so. But I know its value (to me, and in the collectors' market), and I love its aesthetics, workmanship and how its slim 36mm profile slips oh so easily under my shirt cuff. It gives me much joy every time I look at it - probably every few minutes, especially if I'm in a boring meeting. :) Am I a douchebag? Naw, just a guy approaching his 40s who's worked hard all his life, got lucky and got to save some money, and is probably going through a midlife crisis of sorts. Thanks to you all for sharing your thoughts and pictures in this thread. It is much appreciated.
We should all be so lucky to go through midlife crises and come out all the better for it! That is an incredible watch and congratulations on it once again. The heft of platinum is a real nice feeling imo and is a truly private pleasure. To make things better platinum has this warmth of tone and will age better than watches made with other white metals. Not a fan of the new anti magnetic omega, but I guess it is better than the green glass lightning hand milgauss. I don't know, is magnetism really a problem with modern mechanical watches? The cynical side of me (ie all of me) can't help but feel it's a bit of a marketing ploy in the vein of the helium escape valve.

johanm

Reaction score

Hi, everyone! Been lurking for months and learned a lot of stuff from you all. Read through all 1,130+ pages (and counting) in this thread, along with some other sites, and after living most of my life with a couple of forgettable quartz pieces I decided to take the plunge last November to upgrade the collection. Started with some classic mechanical pieces, grew restless after a short while so did some trades and upgrades (some of you will know this drill - I went through "the purge" with my clothes and shoes as well). Finally achieved some "peace" with my current collection. Here's one of my faves: Do folks on the street recognize what this is on my wrist? Not really. Can people tell the difference between white gold and the subtle beauty and heft of this platinum beauty? I don't think so. But I know its value (to me, and in the collectors' market), and I love its aesthetics, workmanship and how its slim 36mm profile slips oh so easily under my shirt cuff. It gives me much joy every time I look at it - probably every few minutes, especially if I'm in a boring meeting. :) Am I a douchebag? Naw, just a guy approaching his 40s who's worked hard all his life, got lucky and got to save some money, and is probably going through a midlife crisis of sorts. Thanks to you all for sharing your thoughts and pictures in this thread. It is much appreciated.
Spectacular watch, and would echo points made by others about the private pleasure of a hefty watch. Heft and wrist presence are key to continuing to enjoy a watch well into the future without getting bored.

Newcomer

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score

Not a fan of the new anti magnetic omega, but I guess it is better than the green glass lightning hand milgauss. I don't know, is magnetism really a problem with modern mechanical watches? The cynical side of me (ie all of me) can't help but feel it's a bit of a marketing ploy in the vein of the helium escape valve.

Omega and Rolex, engaging in a marking ploy? For shame...

I am siding with the Cynical side.

Goodman

Reaction score
Spectacular watch, and would echo points made by others about the private pleasure of a hefty watch. Heft and wrist presence are key to continuing to enjoy a watch well into the future without getting bored.

For better or worse I went big and hefty. 45mm 210. I've been using it predominantly as my dress watch for the past 9 years. I would love to try the 42mm version of the watch - but wouldn't be the best use of my funds at this time.

johanm

Reaction score

Omega and Rolex, engaging in a marking ploy? For shame...

I am siding with the Cynical side.

Watch magnetism is a real thing. Recently I left my RO near some speakers and it started running about 20 seconds/day fast. Was totally freaked out, took it to the AP boutique, they diagnosed it as magnetized and put it through their demagnetization machine, and now it's back to dead on accuracy. If I worked near a lot of electronics (hospital, university lab, etc) I would probably seek out a watch with at least some level of anti magnetic protection.

Dino944

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Watch magnetism is a real thing. Recently I left my RO near some speakers and it started running about 20 seconds/day fast. Was totally freaked out, took it to the AP boutique, they diagnosed it as magnetized and put it through their demagnetization machine, and now it's back to dead on accuracy. If I worked near a lot of electronics (hospital, university lab, etc) I would probably seek out a watch with at least some level of anti magnetic protection.
Its a real thing, but rather limited. You made an honest mistake and it probably won't happen again. Also thats a mild effect on your watch. My wife works in a hospital and her automatic Cartier Tank Francaise became magnitized twice. When her watch became magnetized it was off by hours. We realized it was because her department was directly across from the MRI department. We did start looking at antimagnetic watches, but once her department moved to a different part of the building she stopped having problems with her watch becoming magnetized.

The real need for an antimagnetic watch is probably limited to a few work enviroments. I think most people buying antimagnetic watches do it as a novelety. Much in the way that someone has pointed out that people buy diving watches watches with helium escape valves...most owners never do prolonged deep see diving where they are living in an environment with a mixture of helium and oxygen, hence the helium escape valve is unnecessary. I imagine most current Milgauss owners work at a desk with a computer and a very limited exposure to magnetism...hell Rolex could barely give the originals away when they were around in the 1960s and 1970s and eventually just made them a special order item. Rolex revived the name and function when they saw how expensive vintage Milgausses had become.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 37.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.3%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 40 16.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.7%

Forum statistics

Threads