1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

The Watch Appreciation Thread (Reviews and Photos of Men's Timepieces by Rolex, Patek Philippe, Brei

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by gdl203, May 20, 2007.

Tags:
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. no frills

no frills Senior member

Hahaha - all I can say is: if I had the resources and the nerve (guts? style? cojones?) to have a 6002G as a daily wearer, I will also probably feel like Godzilla, able to stomp around and destroy entire blocks of buildings with a single swipe of my tail or with my fiery breath.

Also, Godzilla has to satisfy mimo's bottom-heavy preferences. I mean, he has to.

[​IMG]

Aren't they? Side by side, great pics, etc. But a detailed report of that level is the least I've come to expect, given the access that's typically given to PuristS guys!

1 person likes this.
  2. Dino944

Dino944 Senior member

[​IMG]- what happens if he didn't see the way of the Dino.

As for the 6002G,...while the engraving may remind one of Godzilla's rough outer skin, sadly I think its finish more strongly mirrors the style of a flamboyant piano player of the past, and would be more aptly nick named the Liberace!

[​IMG]

Last edited: Jul 1, 2013
  3. Newcomer

Newcomer Senior member

4. mimo

mimo Senior member

It's a 42mm monster; I think it would have to be a mighty woman. But I see what you did there. [​IMG]

Yeah, species and gender I generally take as read before I get to butt shape. You are a peculiar man. But I like you.

1 person likes this.
  5. culverwood

culverwood Senior member

Now who is being casually racist?

6. mimo

mimo Senior member

I'm English; that part's called "self-deprecating humour".

Anyway, sorry for the digression into do-gooding. I almost forgot the watches in that link. Almost.

The interesting ones, I suppose, should be all those oddities - specially commissioned "collectibles" that are rarely seen. But maybe because I'm not a collector, they are more novelties to me than objects of desire. Ditto the specials from less TWAT-beloved makers like Tag and Hublot: interesting, but I don't want one. It's just refreshing to see something different.

In the objects of desire category, the 5970 is definitely a super-grail. I love everything about it (but I'm with Red Devil, give me a "P" please, Bob...). It's not at all novel or unusual really, in that in simple terms it looks a lot like a dozen other PPs and the layout is hardly unusual. It's just something well-established, done fabulously well. That's why it looks so much like something you'd want to wear (cf 6002G!).

But one thing that's unusual AND massively desirable to me, out of that lot, is this:

[​IMG]

And of course, its slender-but-yet-so-special, behind. This, Frilly, is your Kate-whateverhernameisgenericthinblondewoman. [​IMG]

[​IMG]

I saw one for sale online a little while back, and, other-worldly-priced as it was, it still made me stop fantasising about Langes for...oh...hours...

7. in stitches

in stitches Senior member Moderator

8. Cylon

Cylon Senior member

I LOVE YOU ALL

5 people like this.
  9. culverwood

culverwood Senior member

Watch out Mimo our friends across the water really believe it!

1 person likes this.
  10. in stitches

+1

2 people like this.
  11. mimo

mimo Senior member

I would not be prepared to trade a single finger off any one of your hands, for a platinum minute repeater.

That, my dear friends, is bro-love. [​IMG]

2 people like this.
  12. in stitches

i sold one of those in YG on ebay in december. remember? :bigstar:

13. mimo

mimo Senior member

I wasn't as thoroughly "TWATted" back in December so might have missed it. But that definitely still scores ten awesomeness points.

14. Newcomer

Newcomer Senior member

<3

And that Patek 10 day whatever it is called is super hawt.

But you know, I really actually like the new Patek 5200 that was released at Basel:

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

For $60,000, it is a little more approachable than, say, the 10-day one that you linked to. My only qualm is with the faux bridges. That is quite strange to me. But this is definitely one of my favorite rectangular shaped watches out there right now. Especially the blue dialed beauty.

1 person likes this.
  15. mimo

mimo Senior member

Hehe eight days is enough I guess!

Call me fussy though, but I much preferred the uncomplicated sub seconds. And the black dial (although those are nice too). And it has to be platinum. Because in dreamland, it might as well be perfect. :)

16. in stitches

twas one of the highlights of my career to date. :)

newcommer - that is pretty, but something about the dial throws me. maybe the very overburdened south-side, and the very unburdened north-side? nitpick tho, its a beautiful piece.

17. no frills

no frills Senior member

So much love for TWAT going around today!

What a lovely vid. I don't think I will ever own a minute repeater in my life. But maybe if I won the lottery or found oil (or natural gas?) in my land, the dominion of which spreads over vast areas, in the millions of acres........

There is something about the way Newcomer's name is spelled in this post by Stitchy that made me LOL. But I cannot put my finger on it.

1 person likes this.
  18. no frills

no frills Senior member

Wait. They are? That would be awesome. But you know what would truly be awesome? A PP that could you could sing into, and record your arias. And then play it back in tune, via a minute repeater mechanism. No software, all mechanical!

[​IMG]

1 person likes this.
  19. Omega Male

Omega Male Senior member

Came for the minute repeaters, stayed for the civil discussion about cultural relativity and stereotyping. Is is classist to observe that watch folk generally skew toward the more articulate end of the spectrum?

2 people like this.
  20. mimo

mimo Senior member

A fair question, to which I think the answer is only "sometimes". I'm no watch collector (although, if it helps, my main watch is a vintage Omega!), but thanks to this thread have taken a great interest of late. Which has led me to view posts on other forums from time to time when I had a specific question. And that, in turn, has shown me that watch afficionados can be as rude, petty, small-minded and just plain stupid, as any other community online.

However, our beloved TWAT is a veritable oasis of reason, intelligence and mannerliness - a concept so alien to the 'net that even the text editor thinks it's a typo. I don't think watch folk are a class. But I do think a certain class prevails in this thread. :)

1 person likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.