The Watch Appreciation Thread (Reviews and Photos of Men's Timepieces by Rolex, Patek Philippe, Brei

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by gdl203, May 20, 2007.

Tags:
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. HEPennypacker

HEPennypacker Senior member

Funny, I reached the same conclusion the other day and am on a similar timeline (there's another watch I want to acquire in the interim). I really like the simplicity of the 1815, though it appears the Richard Lange is more highly favored among the ALS set. Of course, a Lange 1 Moonphase is still in the medium-to-long-range forecast.

2. PartagasIV

PartagasIV Senior member

^Love the Mark XVI/Mark series, looks great! An IWC I would like to own at some point.

Would love input on looking for a sister's college graduation watch. Originally wanted to give a birth-year vintage sub for a slightly 'chunky,' masculine watch--in that same vein, thinking of a medium SS/RG Santos 100 on croc, 36mm SS/YG Ballon Bleu on bracelet. I.e., less traditional than a Tank Francaise, even a men's sized variant, but still classic looks. Other watches along those lines?

Probably buying on TZ/secondary market, mint condition.

Last edited: Jan 15, 2013

3. ~ B ~

~ B ~ Senior member

Any of you watch experts know which brands hand-engrave their balance cocks? To my mind only Lange, GO and Dornblueth do so. I'm curious if there are any other competitors to my new pet project. :D

Just got back from a trip to Beijing to visit China's two greatest watch makers - BWAF and Sea-Gull. I succeeded in persuading Asia's finest watch maker (the creator of a self-conceived clean-sheet tourbillon design in 1996 whose carriage is constructed wholly from titanium, the same that created a double-axis tourbillon with a fired enamel moonphase and a unique complication to measure the age of the watch in cycles of 12 years like a car odometer) to produce hand-engraved balance cocks for my watch exclusively.

And they do so the old-fashioned way with manual tools as opposed to the high-tech computers that Lange uses. The combination of not one but two gold gilt balance cocks residing in each manufacture movement, contrasting with the silver 3/4 plate and 4 gold chatons and heat blued screws is glorious. Very pleased with the result and will be incorporating these movements in a new high-end watch range in my Celadon series to complement the existing mid-range PREMIER model.

4. ant702

ant702 Senior member

what do mean same old? I happen to like the full bar[​IMG]

5. dddrees

dddrees Senior member

Going a bit older today.
    [​IMG]

6. ant702

ant702 Senior member

I'm in love with this brand! Best bang for your buck! The only model they have thats bland is the tetra line!

7. ant702

ant702 Senior member

Just checking! I knew you where'nt bonkers! Funny I only knew of PP for just the last 7 years, 7yrs too late when i cant afford the damn things[​IMG]

8. apropos

apropos Senior member

One more - Lang und Heyne.

All the best with your project.

9. johanm

johanm Senior member

Those are great choices. Also consider a new ceramic sub - it's very pleasingly glossy and lustrous and would look great on a woman's wrist. You could get a LNIB no date version on TZ or rolexforum for about 6500.

10. in stitches

in stitches Kung Joo Moderator

the latest object of my watch desires. want so bad. rolex 16760 gmt master II.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Jan 16, 2013

11. bourbonbasted

bourbonbasted Cyber Eliitist

Great weekend watch, stitch :slayer:

I've started saving for a Mark XVII as my next weekender. Unfortunately that "saving" coincides with a couple bespoke commissions for next Fall/Winter... :sigh:

P.S. Fuck this thread for piquing my interest in watches. Ignorance was bliss...

12. Kaplan

Kaplan Senior member

Hopefully this will give you time to reconsider :devil:

13. bourbonbasted

bourbonbasted Cyber Eliitist

Haha not a fan of the XVII? You have the XV, correct?

14. dopey

dopey Senior member Dubiously Honored

Would you really use the second time zone function much?

15. Newcomer

Newcomer Senior member

I can honestly say I have no need for a second time zone watch.

That is a very cool rollie though. I think one of the few current models that I would not mind having. I still don't really see myself springing for a Rolex anytime soon though.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.