1. Styleforum Gives - Holiday Charity Auction 10: A full set of Aesop's Fables pocket squares from Vanda Fine Clothing

We are very proud to present this year's edition of the Styleforum Holiday Charity Auctions, this year in support of the Ronald McDonald House Charities of Spokane (www.rmhcspokane.org). Each Auction lasts 24 hours. Please follow and bid on all the auctions.

The 10th auction of the year is for a full set of Aesop's Fable's pocket squares from Vanda Fine Clothing. Please bid often and generously here

Fok and the Styleforum Team.

Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice

STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

The Watch Appreciation Thread (Reviews and Photos of Men's Timepieces by Rolex, Patek Philippe, Brei

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by gdl203, May 20, 2007.

Tags:
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Hotel Guy

Hotel Guy Senior Member

Thanks!

Its an OEM Panerai strap called 'Assolutamente'. Great suede-ish look and feel when new, then develops a nice worn-in patina over time. It comes standard on some models like the PAM390.

2. dddrees

dddrees Distinguished Member

I've heard about those, and they're supposed to be rather nice.

Your Pam looks great by the way.

3. Dino944

Dino944 Distinguished Member

Depends on budget and what you are looking for. The Pepi GMT is probably one of the easiest to use and most reasonably priced GMT/second timezone watches.

If you are looking for something more upscale, AP's Royal Oak Dual Time is a very handsome watch (one of the guys here on SF has one), Vacheron makes a similar watch (they both use the same JLC base) the Overseas Dual Time, and Patek makes an Aquanaut with a dual timezone function. There are also some JLCs that are a bit less expensive that will give you a second time zone. If you are looking for something much sportier and chunkier, Panerai has made some GMT watches in the past...although they would not be my first choice for a Panerai or a GMT watch.

4. Belligero

Belligero Distinguished Member

Watches are just as much about appeal to emotion as to reason. That makes perfect sense to me.

5. Belligero

Honestly, I don't think anyone does the GMT watch better than Rolex.

But if you want something to change it up, I'd take a good look at a Nomos Zurich Weltzeit. They're a company that's definitely worth supporting, and their design chops are in the same league as the big boys. In fact, I'd say that they put some of the better-known companies to shame when it comes to design competency and focus; they're just incredibly fluent in the language of watchmaking, and there's a clear love for it in what they do. On the other hand, I'm probably biased because of the nice Christmas card that they sent me, but could you imagine any other watch company doing that!?

Anyway, I think this would complement your GMT very well, and without redundancy.
    [​IMG]

6. Cylon

Cylon Senior Member

I agree with Dino, the Rolex GMT is one of the easiest to use. If you have this, why get another? I'd rather swap out the bezels for versatility OR step it up and get a worldtimer like the PP.

Otherwise get a Reverso Duo which puts a diff spin on the whole dual time thing

what about JLC home time, or ALS dual time or NOMOS?

EDIT: Belligero beat me to the punch [​IMG] and its a good piece of advice but the pic above is of the prototype. The real thing is more beige with a hint of red and blue. I've had this watch on my short list before but I dont know how I feel about the whole "heimat" thing

[​IMG]

Last edited: Jan 15, 2013

7. Concordia

Concordia Distinguished Member Dubiously Honored

8. in stitches

in stitches Kung Joo Moderator

are you looking for a dressier watch or another sporty one?

thanks, i like it a lot. might consider it when i decide to get an additional strap for mine.

9. Kaplan

Kaplan Distinguished Member

Agreed.

But for something different, maybe look at the UTCs from IWC:

[​IMG]

10. dopey

dopey Stylish Dinosaur Dubiously Honored

Have a look at the Rolex Sky-Dweller. It has a busy dial that does a lot, but it is a very cool movement, highly functional AND has a real, mostly working date functionl!!!!

11. kwhunter

kwhunter Senior Member

12. Belligero

I think the "heimat" thing is nice. It sounds like the Norwegian word for home, which is "hjem", so it doesn't strike me as sounding odd; in fact, it has a rather pleasant ring to it. And it fits with the watch's German origin.
    And I adore Nomos' use of typography; nothing they do is anything less than masterful in that department, which is one of the most important to me in watch design.

13. Keith T

Keith T TWAT Master.

Wearing a XVI on the 15th.

[​IMG]

14. roomiller

roomiller Senior Member

Id never even heard of panerai until I visited this website, but the way you guys(especially Hotel Guy) take pictures of yours, I am dying to get one(eventually, most likely many many years down the road). Keep up the amazing work.

Also everyone else's watches also look incredible.

15. oisin

oisin Senior Member

Lange 1 Time Zone is quite nice looking and quite a different feel than the GMT if it's in your budget.

edit: oops except it is manually wound. never mind. still a cool watch if you are an international jet setter.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.