The Watch Appreciation Thread (Reviews and Photos of Men's Timepieces by Rolex, Patek Philippe, Brei

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by gdl203, May 20, 2007.

Tags:
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Axelman 17

Axelman 17 Senior member

Not loving the grey. Color looks very dark and too monochromatic.

2. Newcomer

Newcomer Senior member

I would go with the cream / ivory dial. I have heard that it is wise to try it on in-shop before making a purchase on that model :).

3. apropos

apropos Senior member

I have the Corum coin watch, which was a gift from my dad on my 21st birthday.

My dad has a Piaget coin watch, which looks almost identical to earlier posted (hidden watch) example except it has lugs soldered on and is mounted on a strap. Dino is right, VC made coin watches and I think also Audemars Piguet.

When I first got my coin watch I will admit that being the precocious prick I was (and likely still am) I was a little less than utterly overwhelmed with gratitude. I thought it even a tad... cheesy.

Over time I've come to develop an appreciation for the watch - and the thought that went into purchasing it in my instance.

Unlike a new watch where really the only thing you can realistically nitpick over is the serial number (i.e. wanting a *nice* or "lucky" serial number), every coin watch - by virtue of the fact that it once was actual circulating currency - is different.

It's like picking from a crop of vintage watches - some are overpolished, others not. Some have marks to the "coin bezel". Others have strange marks on the face or reverse. Others are struck with presumably worn stampers and markings are less pronounced. The stamped year is also different.

My dad apparently went to nearly a dozen Corum ADs in 7 different countries in his search for "the" coin watch for me.

So some years on, the coin watch does duty now as my "black tie" watch. It actually works well as my cufflinks are matching YG-onyx barbells and the watch is very flat - and dare I say it - elegant. Which is of course essential in the context of black tie. Not a single person has commented on it because it honestly is not very noticeable.

As a bonus, the Piaget has IIRC an inhouse movement and the Corum coin watch has an AP movement. Well, mine does anyway - they have quartz movement versions as well.

Re: the legality - it was explained to me by Piaget that it is illegal to alter US currency in the USA. Hence the coins are hollowed out in Switzerland, and all the necessary thing-a-majigs are done there, and they can be safely sold in the USA.

I have bad photos of both watches for insurance purposes, will dig them out if anyone is interested.

Last edited: Jan 14, 2013
  4. Dino944

Dino944 Senior member

I don't care for the gray. As Axel said its too monochromatic. I prefer the silver dial with blue hands and blue moonphase...they add some color and life the design.
    Ah...Piaget...I knew there was a brand escaping my mind that had made coin watches.

I'm glad you came to appreciate the effort your Dad put into finding you the right coin watch. As you stated, they are interesting in that every coin watch is a bit different. The textured surface and coin edging also keeps the watch from easily showing wear such as hairline scratches or scuff marks, which frequently seen on polished gold surfaces.

The Piaget coin watch does use an inhouse movement. Piaget makes all of their watch movements and on occasion they supply movements to sister companies such as Cartier.

Your Corum coin watch does not use an Audemars Piguet movement, but you are sort of close. It actually uses a Frederic Piguet movement. F. Piguet is a very fine movement maker and has supplied movements to Audemars Piguet for its Royal Oak chronograph, to VC for some of their dress watches and for their Overseas Chronograph, to Cartier for their 38mm Pasha chronograph, and to a few other fine companies. So again you were close.

Interesting how Piaget or Corum get around "damaging" US currency as all of their work in turning a coin into a watch is done with a supply of coins that are in Switzerland. Not surprising as I was under the impression the US had taken their own supply gold coins out of circulation back when FDR was in office.

Definitely, share a picture of your Corum with us. Its an interesting part of watch history and something we don't often see. Its been several years since I've seen one in person.

Last edited: Jan 14, 2013
  5. depechedior

depechedior Well-Known Member

Been a while so I thought I'd share...

[​IMG]

6. apropos

apropos Senior member

You are of course correct, it is a FP movement, not an AP movment. :)

(bad photo warning)

Here is the Corum...

[​IMG][​IMG]

...and the Piaget.

[​IMG][​IMG]

Aside from the coin watch, IMO the only other interesting watch Corum makes is the golden bridge, but then again it's not to my taste in the currently available iterations.

7. Warren G.

Warren G. Senior member

That is pretty interesting.

8. ThinkDerm

ThinkDerm Senior member

who do you work with there?

they sell anything other than watches?

9. rnguy001

rnguy001 Senior member

I like the white dial one very much, especially the contrast with the blue . GO really nailed it for me with this iteration of the PML

10. ThinkDerm

ThinkDerm Senior member

always beautiful

11. in stitches

in stitches Kung Joo Moderator

benjamin - another vote for white

dino and apropos - thanks for the interesting coin watch talk, and apropos, for the pics, very cool stuff.

12. marvin100

marvin100 Senior member

Seconded on all counts.

13. dddrees

dddrees Senior member

Last edited: Jan 15, 2013
  14. dddrees

dddrees Senior member

I almost bought the grey version a couple of years ago.

I still like the grey version better.

15. Belligero

Belligero Senior member

On the other hand, if you meant choosing between a $15K-ish-used-price steel JLC perpetual calendar and a simple Patek, then I'd agree completely. And in a lot of cases, you wouldn't have to spend extra anyway. But then, I like simple watches and I'm a bit leery of high complications like perpetual calendar mechanisms. The term "white elephant" comes to mind.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.