The Watch Appreciation Thread (Reviews and Photos of Men's Timepieces by Rolex, Patek Philippe, Brei

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by gdl203, May 20, 2007.

Tags:
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Dino944

Dino944 Senior member

I don't care for the gray. As Axel said its too monochromatic. I prefer the silver dial with blue hands and blue moonphase...they add some color and life the design.
    Ah...Piaget...I knew there was a brand escaping my mind that had made coin watches.

I'm glad you came to appreciate the effort your Dad put into finding you the right coin watch. As you stated, they are interesting in that every coin watch is a bit different. The textured surface and coin edging also keeps the watch from easily showing wear such as hairline scratches or scuff marks, which frequently seen on polished gold surfaces.

The Piaget coin watch does use an inhouse movement. Piaget makes all of their watch movements and on occasion they supply movements to sister companies such as Cartier.

Your Corum coin watch does not use an Audemars Piguet movement, but you are sort of close. It actually uses a Frederic Piguet movement. F. Piguet is a very fine movement maker and has supplied movements to Audemars Piguet for its Royal Oak chronograph, to VC for some of their dress watches and for their Overseas Chronograph, to Cartier for their 38mm Pasha chronograph, and to a few other fine companies. So again you were close.

Interesting how Piaget or Corum get around "damaging" US currency as all of their work in turning a coin into a watch is done with a supply of coins that are in Switzerland. Not surprising as I was under the impression the US had taken their own supply gold coins out of circulation back when FDR was in office.

Definitely, share a picture of your Corum with us. Its an interesting part of watch history and something we don't often see. Its been several years since I've seen one in person.

Last edited: Jan 14, 2013

2. depechedior

depechedior Well-Known Member

Been a while so I thought I'd share...

[​IMG]

3. apropos

apropos Senior member

You are of course correct, it is a FP movement, not an AP movment. :)

(bad photo warning)

Here is the Corum...

[​IMG][​IMG]

...and the Piaget.

[​IMG][​IMG]

Aside from the coin watch, IMO the only other interesting watch Corum makes is the golden bridge, but then again it's not to my taste in the currently available iterations.

4. Warren G.

Warren G. Senior member

That is pretty interesting.

5. ThinkDerm

ThinkDerm Senior member

who do you work with there?

they sell anything other than watches?

6. rnguy001

rnguy001 Senior member

I like the white dial one very much, especially the contrast with the blue . GO really nailed it for me with this iteration of the PML

7. ThinkDerm

ThinkDerm Senior member

always beautiful

8. in stitches

in stitches Kung Joo Moderator

benjamin - another vote for white

dino and apropos - thanks for the interesting coin watch talk, and apropos, for the pics, very cool stuff.

9. marvin100

marvin100 Senior member

Seconded on all counts.

10. dddrees

dddrees Senior member

Last edited: Jan 15, 2013

11. dddrees

dddrees Senior member

I almost bought the grey version a couple of years ago.

I still like the grey version better.

12. Belligero

Belligero Senior member

On the other hand, if you meant choosing between a $15K-ish-used-price steel JLC perpetual calendar and a simple Patek, then I'd agree completely. And in a lot of cases, you wouldn't have to spend extra anyway. But then, I like simple watches and I'm a bit leery of high complications like perpetual calendar mechanisms. The term "white elephant" comes to mind.

13. papa kot

papa kot Senior member

Go try them on. I saw them at an AD and I did not like the grey in person at all.... Also, the lumenous material on hands throws things off a bit... I like the older model better.

14. dddrees

dddrees Senior member

I've owned a couple of JLC watches in the past. I think they make wonderfull watches. Heck, JLC does a great job at making movements. They've even been used in other companys watches to include Patek at one time or another. They also do a marvelous job of providing some compllications in metals such as steel that helps to allow them to provide a cheaper alternative to Patek.

I personally don't own a perpetual or annual calendar at this time. However if I were to get one, I think I would personally hold off until I could afford a Patek.

15. ant702

ant702 Senior member

You stole my lightning[​IMG]

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.