The Watch Appreciation Thread (Reviews and Photos of Men's Timepieces by Rolex, Patek Philippe, Brei

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by gdl203, May 20, 2007.

Tags:
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. dddrees

dddrees Senior member

Nice, very nice.

Wearing this one today.
    [​IMG]

2. Belligero

Belligero Senior member

They certainly are nice (even the Calendar model), but I can't take credit for any of those photos.

Lovely Aquanaut!

3. dddrees

dddrees Senior member

Thanks for sharing anyways, great looking watch.

Thank you.

4. Newcomer

Newcomer Senior member

Yes, the Sun Moon is probably my favorite Reverso as well, and that movement is legitimately stunning. I have not seen the new Reverso Calendar in the flesh, so I really don't know how it would fit on my wrist. From the sounds of it though it seems mighty large! Thanks for your comments, they are much appreciated. I would definitely not pick up a Reverso until I tried one on, but the idea of a Reverso is kind of exciting.

5. HEPennypacker

HEPennypacker Senior member

Though I'm a fan of the face, I'd never seen the back. That is unfortunate.

+1!

6. in stitches

in stitches Kung Joo Moderator

awesome.

why wait?

i dont mind the too small movement so much in that watch, only because they did a nice job of building and finishing the spacer around it so it looks like a puzzle piece, i think its kind of neat.

and yeah, the movement on sun moon is :drool:

7. Newcomer

Newcomer Senior member

I may wait just because I would not mind seeing a bunch of selections in the flesh before pulling the trigger. Govberg has the PML, Panoreserve, various Reversos, and other JLCs I am interested in--among others. New Orleans is like a black hole for a lot of watch brands, unfortunately. We will see if I can hold out, however!

And I kind of agree with you Stitchy. Normally mis-sized movements bother me, but I like how they remedied the issue. I would be a lot more bothered if the movement was circular rather than rectangular.

8. DLJr

DLJr TWAT Master.

Because he wants to go shopping with me of course!

9. in stitches

that is sensible. govberg has a few stores here, i know some good people that work there. good company in my experience. worth waiting if you dont have a dealer there that you think is as good or better.

lawlz

Last edited: Jan 14, 2013
  10. Newcomer

Newcomer Senior member

+1

No JLC dealer, GO dealer, BP dealer... and the list goes on! The JLC FAD cuts a pretty good deal. $8,000 shipped overnight for a MUT Moon seems like a pretty darn good deal. Working on getting him to throw in a Michele watch for the lady friend as well.

Also, did anyone else see that SWATCH acquired Harry Winston?? Interesting...

11. Belligero

Belligero Senior member

Definitely; trying on a Reverso is mandatory. The fit of the case is a lot less forgiving than most watches, and the straps lay differently compared to conventional cases. Instead of the lugs curving toward the wrist, they're dead level and the lug holes are drilled high. But once you find which ones work for you, I doubt you'll be disappointed.

[​IMG]
    mattbaily.ca

Here are the two Sun Moon models (GT and XGT cases) on a slim-to-average wrist, and the 976/Calendar case size is a few mm larger yet than the XGT:

[​IMG]
    credit to Bergmann from r-l-x.de

And here is the XGT case on my not-so-slim wrist (7 3/4"), which is as big as I'd go with a Reverso:

[​IMG]

I've tried the 976 and the Calendar models, but I didn't love the look of either, even with my wrist size and height. The size of the case detracts from the elegance of the concept. They just seemed slightly ... wank.

12. DLJr

DLJr TWAT Master.

Yeah the Calendar is at the absolute max in regards to size for me (7 3/4 as well).

Quote: I agree with this.

13. Newcomer

Newcomer Senior member

Wow, that does indeed wear quite large. With my somewhat girly sub-7" wrists, the new models may very well be an issue. The XGT looks really nice on your wrist though. I am very curious to see which Reversos, if any, will work with my wrist. The Sun Moon models are delicious. And just to clarify, the Sun Moon has been discontinued, correct?

And wank certainly seems like an appropriate word. I am looking for something that is youthful as well as classic though, and the MUT Moon may better embody that aesthetic.

I am definitely going to need to try it on I see!

14. Dino944

Dino944 Senior member

I tried on a 50 Fathoms a few months ago just for the heck of it. Nicely made, but I have trouble getting excited about BPs. Its definitely a watch to buy, but only if you really love it or if you can find a deal on a used one. I think if you tire of it and want to sell or trade it you'll take a bath as they just don't seem to have a strong following. Years ago when one of my nearby ADs carried them they were always offering big discounts on them because they couldn't give them away. They did much better with IWC, Rolex, and Cartier.
    Thanks for the info. Its good to have an idea of where Mr. Randell's work begins.
    The original Sun Moon is a beauty. I came pretty close to buying one about 10 years ago, but went with a VC at the time. I still need to add a Reverso to my collection one of these days. But I might go with something that has a solid back and have it engraved.

15. in stitches

cool.

btw, no joke, if you are getting less than 35% off the michelle, contact me.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.