• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The Watch Appreciation Thread (Reviews and Photos of Men's Timepieces by Rolex, Patek Philippe, Brei

Status
Not open for further replies.

Newcomer

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score

why wait?
i dont mind the too small movement so much in that watch, only because they did a nice job of building and finishing the spacer around it so it looks like a puzzle piece, i think its kind of neat.

and yeah, the movement on sun moon is :drool:

I may wait just because I would not mind seeing a bunch of selections in the flesh before pulling the trigger. Govberg has the PML, Panoreserve, various Reversos, and other JLCs I am interested in--among others. New Orleans is like a black hole for a lot of watch brands, unfortunately. We will see if I can hold out, however!

And I kind of agree with you Stitchy. Normally mis-sized movements bother me, but I like how they remedied the issue. I would be a lot more bothered if the movement was circular rather than rectangular.

in stitches

Stylish Dinosaur
Spamminator Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score

I may wait just because I would not mind seeing a bunch of selections in the flesh before pulling the trigger. Govberg has the PML, Panoreserve, various Reversos, and other JLCs I am interested in--among others. New Orleans is like a black hole for a lot of watch brands, unfortunately. We will see if I can hold out, however!

And I kind of agree with you Stitchy. Normally mis-sized movements bother me, but I like how they remedied the issue. I would be a lot more bothered if the movement was circular rather than rectangular.

that is sensible. govberg has a few stores here, i know some good people that work there. good company in my experience. worth waiting if you dont have a dealer there that you think is as good or better.

Because he wants to go shopping with me of course!

lawlz

Last edited:

Newcomer

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score

Because he wants to go shopping with me of course!

+1

that is sensible. govberg has a few stores here, i know some good people that work there. good company in my experience. worth waiting if you dont have a dealer there that you think is as good or better.
lawlz

No JLC dealer, GO dealer, BP dealer... and the list goes on! The JLC FAD cuts a pretty good deal. $8,000 shipped overnight for a MUT Moon seems like a pretty darn good deal. Working on getting him to throw in a Michele watch for the lady friend as well.

Also, did anyone else see that SWATCH acquired Harry Winston?? Interesting...

Last edited:

Belligero

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Yes, the Sun Moon is probably my favorite Reverso as well, and that movement is legitimately stunning. I have not seen the new Reverso Calendar in the flesh, so I really don't know how it would fit on my wrist. From the sounds of it though it seems mighty large! Thanks for your comments, they are much appreciated. I would definitely not pick up a Reverso until I tried one on, but the idea of a Reverso is kind of exciting.

Definitely; trying on a Reverso is mandatory. The fit of the case is a lot less forgiving than most watches, and the straps lay differently compared to conventional cases. Instead of the lugs curving toward the wrist, they're dead level and the lug holes are drilled high. But once you find which ones work for you, I doubt you'll be disappointed.

mattbaily.ca

Here are the two Sun Moon models (GT and XGT cases) on a slim-to-average wrist, and the 976/Calendar case size is a few mm larger yet than the XGT:

credit to Bergmann from r-l-x.de

And here is the XGT case on my not-so-slim wrist (7 3/4"), which is as big as I'd go with a Reverso:

I've tried the 976 and the Calendar models, but I didn't love the look of either, even with my wrist size and height. The size of the case detracts from the elegance of the concept. They just seemed slightly ... wank.

DLJr

TWAT Master.
Reaction score
Yeah the Calendar is at the absolute max in regards to size for me (7 3/4 as well).

Quote: I agree with this.

Newcomer

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score

Wow, that does indeed wear quite large. With my somewhat girly sub-7" wrists, the new models may very well be an issue. The XGT looks really nice on your wrist though. I am very curious to see which Reversos, if any, will work with my wrist. The Sun Moon models are delicious. And just to clarify, the Sun Moon has been discontinued, correct?

And wank certainly seems like an appropriate word. I am looking for something that is youthful as well as classic though, and the MUT Moon may better embody that aesthetic.

Yeah the Calendar is at the absolute max in regards to size for me (7 3/4 as well).

I agree with this.

I am definitely going to need to try it on I see!

Dino944

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Back to watches...has anybody ever had a negative experience (or even heard about one) with a Blancpain? The 50 Fathoms is high on my list, but I don't know anybody who's ever owned one.

I tried on a 50 Fathoms a few months ago just for the heck of it. Nicely made, but I have trouble getting excited about BPs. Its definitely a watch to buy, but only if you really love it or if you can find a deal on a used one. I think if you tire of it and want to sell or trade it you'll take a bath as they just don't seem to have a strong following. Years ago when one of my nearby ADs carried them they were always offering big discounts on them because they couldn't give them away. They did much better with IWC, Rolex, and Cartier.
Starts at $1000-$1500, sky is the limit. He declines requests for simpler designs.
Thanks for the info. Its good to have an idea of where Mr. Randell's work begins.

Thats movement would not make me happy. It really bothers me when you can tell that a movement was intended for a much smaller watch.

The original Sun Moon is a beauty. I came pretty close to buying one about 10 years ago, but went with a VC at the time. I still need to add a Reverso to my collection one of these days. But I might go with something that has a solid back and have it engraved.

Last edited:

in stitches

Stylish Dinosaur
Spamminator Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score

+1
No JLC dealer, GO dealer, BP dealer... and the list goes on! The JLC FAD cuts a pretty good deal. $8,000 shipped overnight for a MUT Moon seems like a pretty darn good deal. Working on getting him to throw in a Michele watch for the lady friend as well.

Also, did anyone else see that SWATCH acquired Harry Winston?? Interesting...

cool.

btw, no joke, if you are getting less than 35% off the michelle, contact me.

Axelman 17

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Speaking of which. I also saw a JLC master control perpetual calendar in WG. Absolutely amazing and at 37mm a very well proportioned watch. Not sure if this model is still made but very lusty.

Just wanted to follow-up this comment with a picture, even if it isnt mine. Anyone have thoughts on this JLC?

Last edited:

in stitches

Stylish Dinosaur
Spamminator Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
love that watch. always have.

in stitches

Stylish Dinosaur
Spamminator Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
though this was neat so im sharing it.

a coin?

here you can see the faint lines of the push button...

noap! a watch!

Last edited:

DerekS

Guyliner
Reaction score

dddrees

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Just wanted to follow-up this comment with a picture, even if it isnt mine. Anyone have thoughts on this JLC?

Gorgeous watch, made by a great watch company.

However given the choice between this and a Patek,

I Personally would spend the extra to get the Patek.

Last edited:

Belligero

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

[...]However given the choice between this and a Patek, I Personally would spend the extra to get the Patek.

That may be, but there's the insignificant detail that the "extra" to get any Patek perpetual calendar vs. that steel JLC is going to represent at least a 3X increase in price. Other than the trifling issue of cost, yes, the Patek is obviously the one to get. Well, that and the literal years it can take to have a complicated Patek Philippe serviced... :nest:

However, as long as we're working with unlimited funds and not considering service issues, given the choice between a Patek Philippe perpetual and a Philippe Dufour minute repeater with sonneries, I personally would spend the extra to get the Dufour. I'll take mine in platinum, please! :teach:

:hide:

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads