The Watch Appreciation Thread (Reviews and Photos of Men's Timepieces by Rolex, Patek Philippe, Brei

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by gdl203, May 20, 2007.

Tags:
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. in stitches

in stitches Kung Joo Moderator

i like them both. :)
    i like it. not my fave PP, but i wouldnt turn it away.
    looks great. great strap.
    :slayer: :slayer: :slayer: great new purchase!!!!!
    i think i have posted it before, but i will make sure to wear and post it this week. just for you. :)

2. marvin100

marvin100 Senior member

Wow, that's pretty insulting. I strongly prefer big watches (up to 46mm, even), and find small watches old-fashioned and even "dainty." Are you genuinely convinced your preference for small watches is somehow objectively correct or superior? Because, um, it. is. not.

3. YRR92

YRR92 Senior member

Gotta second that B&M curiosity. They make some cool stuff I've only seen in studio shots.

Last edited: Jan 12, 2013

4. apropos

apropos Senior member

Well, watches today are worn more as an expression of personal taste as opposed to a need for portable timekeeping, and by extension I also feel that there is some currency in the opinion that the large watches of today are a form of compensation for the so-called emasculation of the modern man.

To clarify the point I am trying to make through hyperbole, you have the original He-men of the 1950s/60s who with 33-34mm watches strapped on explored/dominated women/smoked/drank/fucked with abandon, while you have the relatively emasculated Joe Sixpack today picking the kids up from school in the MPV complete with baby seat his wife forced him to buy... with a 46mm Breitling strapped to his wrist.

In other words, consider that you perceive smaller watches as "dainty" (i.e. feminine) because a watch for you is as much expression of your "manhood" as your not wearing a skirt.

While to some degree I appreciate the Panerai aesthetic and think their watches look nice, I think of the brand more as a PR triumph in the sense that they (sorry GDL) managed to parley recased ho-hum ebauches worn by an inconsequential unit in an inconsequential navy in an inconsequential military power (seriously, Italian naval divers???!!) into a global He-man desirable watch phenomenon... IMO JLC and IWC are trying to replicate Panerai's success with that concept today with the Navy Seal and Top Gun LEs respectively.

5. in stitches

in stitches Kung Joo Moderator

Just for you and chocsosa, found this in my camera roll. :) Not the best pic, but gets the job done. [​IMG]

6. YRR92

YRR92 Senior member

Yes good. Thanks, stitches!

This thread makes me frown at my Seiko Cinco...

On the plus side, it does provide a bunch of reasons to get good grades.

7. chocsosa

chocsosa Senior member

I totally agree with you Apro! The biggest watch I own is 42mm..I like the smaller watches..IMO just elegant and timeless..perfect size watch would be 38mm..but I have a couple that are 34-36mm.. I see those guys with the 46mm watches and the first thing you notice is the size of the watch before anything else.. I feel a watch is supposed to compliment not be the star..but that's just to me though..

Yessir! That is the business right there! lol

8. marvin100

marvin100 Senior member

Wow, that's the kind of wildly speculative armchair psychology usually reserved for "Men's Rights" misogynists.

I like large mattresses and small whisky glasses, tall loudspeakers and 7" vinyl singles, compact cars and thick books, big asses and small waists, huge megacities and narrow alleys, hefty steaks and baby carrots--which of these should I measure to ascertain my manliness?

"Dominating women/smoking/drinking/fucking with abandon" is a stunted, infantile standard of masculinity. But even by those measures, you have no idea where I stand, and the size of my watch won't tell you. I understand you're whiny about the "good old days" (good for whom? white dudes only, pretty much), but the most "emasculated" thing in this thread is your contention that our belongings are serviceable metrics and reflections of our adherence to some threadbare gender roles that have never been much more than myths and excuses to begin with.

9. apropos

apropos Senior member

Oh-kay... :eh:

...so why do you consider smaller watches "dainty"? Am honestly curious why.

10. marvin100

marvin100 Senior member

Stunning!

11. marvin100

marvin100 Senior member

Because dainty means small and delicate. And they are.

12. marvin100

marvin100 Senior member

Maybe more importantly, I consider small watches kind of "old-fashioned"--of course all mechanical watches are old-fashioned, but styles change. Just as I didn't pop my collar in the 80's and don't wear skinny jeans now, I don't follow all the trends, but large watches look good to me and look great on my wrist (I'm not a petite dude--I played Div I college rugby), so it's a trend I'm happy to be part of. Your mileage, of course, may vary, and that's great--in no way am I trying to impugn your taste, which may well work wonderfully for you.

"In matters of principle, stand like a rock; in matters of taste, swim with the current." - Thomas Jefferson ;)

13. apropos

apropos Senior member

OK, so you like big watches because they suit your presumably larger physique, because you just do and because they are "in".

Got it. Did I miss anything?

One more thing - re: impugning taste and presumably attributing opinions...

14. mandom

mandom Active Member

I find the final paragraph horribly funny but true. By observation though, I see that watches in the next twenty years will be worn at the 41 to 43 mm area. Rolex for instance has upsized most of its new collections, others are following. It is the Apropos-Marvin100 mean.

15. ant702

ant702 Senior member

I know your kidding, right! You read sharp, if you find it insulting then be very insulted! I say things,sometimes absurd, to generate dialog; I dont think SF would last with only you guys photos, agreed! By the way, I like them all! Now what I was really going to say which would have been less harsh, but I enjoy 2much Guinnes, was: For me a watch over 40mm should have a hole drilled in its lugs, chained and put in your pocket, better, right? (46mm, thats a pocket watch and I like those 2)[​IMG]

Last edited: Jan 13, 2013

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.