Dismiss Notice

STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

The Watch Appreciation Thread (Reviews and Photos of Men's Timepieces by Rolex, Patek Philippe, Brei

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by gdl203, May 20, 2007.

Tags:
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. elisiX

elisiX Senior member

Correct.

The left is a Micah Duroval.

This one today.

[​IMG]

Last edited: Jan 11, 2013

2. Equus Leather

Equus Leather Senior member Affiliate Vendor

Random thought - I wonder if the screws in the bezel of this AP have had their thread or slot in the head cut specifically so they can be at the right torque when lined up nicely around the bezel like that or if they are just at different tensions. Amazingly cunning engineering if they have been made specifically to work like that...

Charlie

3. apropos

apropos Senior member

Actually not that amazingly cunning, the hexagons on the bezel are screws (in WG!!) with hexagonal heads that are held in place by the hexagonal bezel cutouts, and then they have nuts screw onto them from the caseback side through the case - i.e. the screws stay stationary and the nuts screw down on to the screws from behind.

Last edited: Jan 12, 2013

4. dddrees

dddrees Senior member

Very Nice, Congrats.

5. apropos

apropos Senior member

6. Equus Leather

Equus Leather Senior member Affiliate Vendor

Simple and cunning rather than very difficult and cunning - good engineering principles at work by AP I suspect..

7. Akeem

Akeem Senior member

The LVC bezel color looks nothing like this picture in person. It's more of a pale green color which was not what I was expecting. On the other hand, the dial is really cool to look at.

8. dddrees

dddrees Senior member

There maybe some advantages with the newer version, but in my book the older version is much better.
    [​IMG]

9. Dino944

Dino944 Senior member

Congrats on your 15400! Very nice choice. If you did not buy it through a boutique, remember to register it online and they will add a year to the 2 year warranty.
    Here is a link showing the construction of a Royal Oak case and how the white gold hex screws and nuts are used to seal the case. Today most cases are a bit different in that they case backs are not solid, and they use a synthetic saphire case back so you can see the movement.
    Actually, it was really quite impressive when it was developed. It was the first watch I remember hearing about where the case back was a solid part of the case block and the gaskets, movement, etc. all were installed through the front of the watch and locked down by tightening the bezel/hex screws by turning the nuts that passed through the case back. They actually had to devise tools that could produce the cases and bracelets out of steel, because nothing had ever been built like this. Therefore, the original prototyle was made in white gold which is easier to work with than steel.
    My father had a coat and at a later date gloves made of pigskin. They have a sort of suede like nap/quality to them. If find them soft but they feel sort of heavy. I'm not sure that it would wear well unless the nap was removed from the top surface. Otherwise it might show the same type of wear/staining from moisture etc that you see with suede.

10. Dino944

Dino944 Senior member

+1 . I like the original LVs more than the new ones. I just don't think the colored (blue or green) ceramic bezels look good. Just seeing yours makes me feel I need to give my old LV some wrist time.

11. ant702

ant702 Senior member

"Sorry," I have to disagree~ Any watch for me over 40mm is a monstrosity[​IMG] Unless you have popeye's wrists of course! This all sounds like the herd following each other off the cliff !

12. Shikar

Shikar Senior member

dddrees, equus, Dino...thanks for the kind words. I got it from AD so will register for 3rd year warranty sticker.

It's a well finished watch with sharp contrasts on the case and bracelet.

Regards.

13. dddrees

dddrees Senior member

Yep, those are my exact same thoughts as well.
    [​IMG]

14. chocsosa

chocsosa Senior member

Can we see a picture of the B&M Capeland Stitches? I'm a B&M fan and I've never seen you post it..

15. Belligero

Belligero Senior member

There's no justification necessary; it's a thoroughly no-excuses watch. In the short run or the long run, it's very unlikely that you'd regret getting a Rolex compared to anything else in the same price range.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.