Dismiss Notice

STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

The Watch Appreciation Thread (Reviews and Photos of Men's Timepieces by Rolex, Patek Philippe, Brei

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by gdl203, May 20, 2007.

Tags:
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Dino944

Dino944 Senior member

Hi Derek,

Thanks for confirming that as I thought, the 40s aren't really worth getting into and that they sell at a huge loss. In addition to my comfort issues, their bulkiness (creating high visability to my boss and clients) means they aren't really ideal around the office. I like the design of the PAMs and they look great on many of "our regulars" here at SF, but they just aren't for me. As you mentioned (and as my wife fears), thankfully there are plenty of other watches out there! [​IMG]

2. johanm

johanm Senior member

Dino, have you looked at the 42mm Radiomir 337 or 338, or are you only looking at Luminors? They are very light and comfortable, and basically wear like 38-39mm dress watches.

I walked through the diamond district today and saw the Rolex ceramic submariner 116610LV with green dial in a window. Tried it on and was honestly blown away by the aesthetics and overall fit and finish of the watch. Never thought I would own a Rolex, but man half of my brain is furiously at work trying to come up with some justification for acquiring this piece. Scoured google images and just could not find a pic that captures the true depth of the green, but this one is ok:

[​IMG]

3. Axelman 17

Axelman 17 Senior member

Saw this one in the wild today, curious what others think about it. Model is Patek 5205G. I liked it but didnt love the three different windows at the top, I think I prefer the cleaner JLC MUT:

[​IMG]

Last edited: Jan 11, 2013

4. kentyman

kentyman Senior member

Beautiful straps. Did they come with, or did you add them after? If after, where'd you get them and for how much?

5. tchoy

tchoy Senior member

The weekend is here.
    Pam 372 on a Kaktus strap.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

6. ant702

ant702 Senior member

Yeah a little eccentric, but thats Patek flexing its horological muscles[​IMG]

7. Winot

Winot Senior member

I posted a photo of my 337 upthread. My first luxury watch and I love it. Spent a *long* time looking and musing before pulling the trigger. Went for the 337 because of the smaller size (and didn't like the magnified date on the 40mm Luminors). Would have preferred the 338, but couldn't find one.

8. oisin

oisin Senior member

i really like it. the proportions of all the circles are really nice IMO. And I like the windows at the top and how they read in a more European Day Date Month. It's a more modern aesthetic to me, but still quite classic. And I have only seen it in pictures, but the hollow lugs are kind of interesting! the only thing i am not 100% sure about is the 24hr indicator. Unless I am in Vegas I can usually tell if it is day or night. But I guess it is helpful in setting the watch and quickly gives you the military time. I think I have come to prefer this over the 5146, but of course all of this is purely academic for me right now.

9. Dino944

Dino944 Senior member

I'm not a fan of their annual calendar watches. I find the windows at the top distracting. If they did a version without the windows at the top I'd really like it a lot. I'd love a simpler Calatrava with a moon phase indicator.

10. apropos

apropos Senior member

I used to think it nice, but have you handled it IRL? Oddly enough, feels and looks toy-like... very unusual for a PP!

The dial is very "flat", the watch is a little lighter than I expected, and the bezel proportions are a bit strange with the dial concentric circles going on.

While I have only seen photos and not handled it IRL (and likely never will...), IMO the best looking annual calendar from the house of PP would be the recent Tiffany-only edition. :nodding:

11. Axelman 17

Axelman 17 Senior member

Speaking of which. I also saw a JLC master control perpetual calendar in WG. Absolutely amazing and at 37mm a very well proportioned watch. Not sure if this model is still made but very lusty.

12. Dino944

Dino944 Senior member

Hi Johan,

Thanks for the suggestion. To be honest, I greatly prefer the look of the Luminor to the Radiomir. Therefore, I've never tried a Radiomir.

I like the new Subs. As for the green one, the dial is nice, however I just don't think the colored ceramic bezels ( green or the blue) look as good as when they were aluminum. The colors seemed deeper and richer on the aluminum bezel inserts. The bezel in the photo you provided looks much better than the green bezel actually looks in real life. So even though I like the green dial, if I got a Sub I'd go with a black one unless they are able to really improve the color of the ceramics. Just my 2 cents.

13. Kaplan

Kaplan Senior member

Not my watches, but the one on the 372 (right) looks like the original strap. The one on the left looks like an aftermarket strap.

14. kwhunter

kwhunter Senior member

You have TONNES of info here:
    http://www.blancpain.com/en/category/collections/villeret-0

but if this is not what you want and look for opinions, ask here:
    http://forums.timezone.com/index.php?t=threadt&frm_id=14

15. Shikar

Shikar Senior member

Got the stickers off and sized it.

Regards.
    [​IMG]