1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

The Watch Appreciation Thread (Reviews and Photos of Men's Timepieces by Rolex, Patek Philippe, Brei

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by gdl203, May 20, 2007.

Tags:
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Dino944

Dino944 Senior member

Scott, looks great! Congrats and I hope it brings you many years of enjoyment!
    I often favor VC, I like the dial in this one, even with Arabic numbers, but the case side engraving make me want to puke! IMHO, the case engraving ruins this one.
    I would have gotten you a PP, but you picked the wrong one so no deal ! [​IMG] I'm not a fan of the dial color, but for me, the deal breaker is the windows all around the dial. I didn't care for them on some of the recent the annual calendars, IMHO it lacks a certain elegance that one usually sees with Pateks. Maybe its the metal out lines around the windows for day, date, month, maybe they just seem too pronounced. I generally prefer subdials for perpetual calendars, although simple windows as used on vintage Patek perpetuals of the past would be my second choice. This one I like the engraving on the side of the case and slide but I just don't love the rest of the watch.

Last edited: Jun 21, 2013
    1 person likes this.
  2. mimo

mimo Senior member

I do have a thing for the Germans. But not necessarily the top of the price range - the Tourbograph is awesome, but I think I'd be very happy with this: I do like the combination of perpetual calendar and chrono. The tourbillon's a novelty, but would I really ever leave the house with a $500k watch? I think I would actually want to wear this instead of guard it with a shotgun, even at $150k-ish.

[​IMG]

Of course a Patek 5004 or a Breguet minute repeater or an AP tourbillon or any number of others would be right up there. But I think that is then the point: I don't have a collection to speak of. And rather than one watch for hundreds of thousands, if I had to spend the price of a house on watches, I think I'd rather have a few. And even though Dino doesn't like it (!), a used Langematik Perpetual for about $50k would be almost as good for my personal joy. After that, the returns diminish very quickly, so I'll take that, an up-down Datograph with stick markers, and a Lange 1 Time Zone, all in platinum. And still have change from the one above for a plain black no-date Submariner, a few scratches not a problem...

1 person likes this.
  3. in stitches

in stitches Senior member Moderator

interesting. i quite like the windows on the 5207. particularly the symmetry. different strokes i guess. odd because we are so often on the same page. :(

4. RogerP

RogerP Senior member

VERY nice - congrats!

5. jhcam8

jhcam8 Senior member

6. no frills

no frills Senior member

Very interesting and impressive choice for a grail: aesthetics aside, the 5207 in platinum is supposed to retail for $945,000, so it most definitely qualifies for a "reach" piece. I suppose it's not a deal breaker, but does it not bother you that PP tourbillons tend to not be exposed from the dial side?

7. no frills

no frills Senior member

Scott - congratulations and wear this piece in the best of health! Nice pick-up!

8. Keith T

Keith T Senior member

OMG the Swordfish! It's *just* like a Nautilus. Must have one.

And no comments on Frilly breaking out the big guns? Y'all are slippin'.

Seriously, the 5070 looks awfully sharp at 42mm. Seems there's "enough watch there" to warrant the case size. Another beauty that I've never seen in real life.

I really don't think I could pick a single "grail" Patek!

9. Kai

Kai Senior member

What is this?

10. in stitches

in stitches Senior member Moderator

lol "reach" piece. that is putting it mildly.

yes, i wish PP did their tourbs exposed from the dial, but by policy they never do, so its not exposed to the sun. at least that is what i read. but i think i could live with it. :p

11. Liam0062

Liam0062 Member

[​IMG][/IMG]

Hi guys,
    I'm new the the forum. This is my fathers Breitling circa 1940 I just had restored.

6 people like this.
  12. Liam0062

Liam0062 Member

This is the before. [​IMG]

13. RogerP

RogerP Senior member

^^^ Beautiful watch. What all was done in the restoration?

14. scottcw

scottcw Senior member

A Roland G. Murphy (RGM) Model 22 they did as a limited edition for the Equation of Time website.

Sidling up to my OuJ...

[​IMG]

3 people like this.
  15. Dino944

Dino944 Senior member

Hi Liam, welcome. Thanks for sharing a photo of your father's Breitling. What a great keepsake. I'm sure it has lots of good memories. Enjoy it.
    For me, when it comes to Langes the ones that really do it for me are the Lange 1 and a few of their variations. The Datographs, have just never been my thing. I find the mix of sticks, Romans, and Arabic numerals annoying. I can live with all Arabics or sticks and Arabics, but I find Sticks, Arabic, and Romans just too much. I also find Romans a bit too formal on a chronograph, which even in their dressiest forms are really sporty watches by nature. In my eyes PP's 5070 and VC's Historique Chronographs are more appealing choices, but to each his own.
    No worries Stitchy. You and I usually see eye to eye on some many pieces, just look at it that the 5207 is so limited in production, that I'll step aside so and I won't have to fight over it. Afterall, your recent photo of the Blue/Black GMT Master has helped renew my interest and Mimo's in that watch, such that he says the steel cage match is back on for that one. So look out gents...[​IMG]

16. no frills

no frills Senior member

Okay, just so you don't think I'm too one-dimensional, here's a shot of some non-blondes sporting one of my pieces, the Explorer 114270.

[​IMG]

Looks good on her, 'no? Oh, wait - I missed on the "skinny" part, these young women are still a bit svelte...

The 5159 is listed as 38mm but I find the dial a bit too ornate for my tastes. Between the 5159 and its immediate predecessor, the 5059, I prefer the "flatter" enamel-like dial of the 5059. But that's even smaller at only 36mm! Wears a bit larger though because of its height (around 13mm) and officer's case (check the longer lugs, larger crown):

[​IMG]

1 person likes this.
  17. Kai

Kai Senior member

I'm trying hard to resist buying an RGM.

You are not helping.

18. Newcomer

Newcomer Senior member

RGM looks great Scott. I appreciate your diverse tastes in watches. A very interesting duo you have there!

1 person likes this.
  19. Dino944

Dino944 Senior member

Frills, nice to see you don't mind attractive brunettes wearing good watches.

As for the 5059 and the 5159, I agree on the dial. I prefer the classic flatter dial of the 5059...I find the 5159's dial a bit too fussy.

20. apropos

apropos Senior member

Some nice watches on this thread recently.

Oh, and nice looking females too. :nodding:

Something that might help kill time for members here: http://www.youtube.com/user/FondationHH/videos?sort=da&view=0&flow=grid

Especially interesting are the earlier artisan series of videos - Engraver, Dialmaker, Guillocher, etc

I like it that you have elected to take the path less traveled in growing your watch collection. Many happy returns! :)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.