1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

The Watch Appreciation Thread (Reviews and Photos of Men's Timepieces by Rolex, Patek Philippe, Brei

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by gdl203, May 20, 2007.

Tags:
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. mimo

mimo Senior member

Winot, I think it's cool. But not as cool as your suit, and you're right about putting them together!

Frilly, a bit beyond my budget, by about five digits...OK six. But I will console myself with the fact that I don't wear gold so I couldn't anyway. Although I do think rose gold is incredibly beautiful. Maybe I'll get one for the lady in my life...!

As for my previous post, always happy to entertain! And you know you want one!

Last edited: Jun 21, 2013
  2. Winot

Winot Senior member

Steven Hitchcock. It's a Smiths cloth.

3. Winot

Winot Senior member

Thanks - here's the watch I actually put on this morning: Eterna-Matic Centenaire 61 [​IMG]

1 person likes this.
  4. no frills

no frills Senior member

This one, I definitely like. Why does it remind me of Brooklyn Decker for some reason?

OT: Just watched "Battleship" last night and was impressed by Ms Decker's sublime acting skills.

NOT OT: Pic of Ms Decker and her gold Rolex Daytona here:

[​IMG]

5. Newcomer

Newcomer Senior member

I know, I was reading it and honestly feeling a little bit irritated! I mean, I guess I understand what SJX is saying... but when you are talking about a $125,000 watch which is still retailing for absurd amounts, it is just kind of silly. And I am not a big fan of the whole argument that "x" is better than "y" because of its rarity. I understand the premise, of course, but it is just a very strange argument to make. The fact more 3970s were made does not make it less valuable. And honestly, I think it is a bit too early in the game to be sounding the death knell for the collectability of the 3970.

I feel like we have similar tastes in teh womenz Frilly.

6. Dino944

Dino944 Senior member

You are spot on with your assessment of that watch. The case, lugs, numerals, hands, and modified chapter ring, look like they were basically taken right from a 5070. I thought the same thing when I saw photos of one some time ago. It definitely highlights how versatile the case and many other elements of the 5070 are, and I think the 5074 is a knock out!
    Look at all the things SF's are willing to go through for fellow SF's. I still find the Graham watches almost like a caricature of a a chronograph. To me the pusher mechanism is so exaggerated that its almost comical. Some designs are a study of minimalism and only what is absolutely essential to the design is used...well this is clearly the complete opposite. But I suppose if they sell enough units maybe it justifies the existence of such a watch.
    The important part is that its a beautiful watch, top quality workmanship, you love it, and you enjoy it. Besides, its somewhat relatively more "affordable price" and "high production [​IMG]" Helped you to be able to get one for each wrist! Most of us enjoy drooling over them, and we are only looking at them in photos. The press isn't always kind to things when they are new or only a few years out of production...but often times whether its a car, or a watch or some other item, they often become highly coveted. Enjoy them, they are beautiful.

7. in stitches

in stitches Senior member Moderator

mimo - those grahms are sooooooooooo bad. but i think that perrelet ladies watch is beautiful.

frillsameisterdood - quite like that patek. i tried the 5159 on in NYC for fun. i was very disheartened that i felt it looked too small on my wrist. :(

[​IMG]

8. Dino944

Dino944 Senior member

Rarity is doesn't make something better, it may simply explain why it appeals to some people, or through basic supply and demand why one items costs more than another.

In the end, when someone is discussing a product that involves buyers who can afford anything, and price is not a limiting factor, then often times what becomes important to prospective clients is exclusivity. It doesn't make a 2499 better than a 3970, its simply that it may have more snob appeal to be able to say that only a few hundred were produced, and it limits one's chances of ever being someplace and seeing someone with the same watch. I usually think if someone has the same watch as me...they must have excellent taste [​IMG], but not everyone is like that.

9. mimo

mimo Senior member

Frilly, your obsession with skinny blonde women I do not share. But I wonder if it's something to do with the subdials? Then again, you do "associate" quite a lot of things with women of this type. :)

Dino, you're right, they're extremely silly. In a way, I think it's a good idea gone wrong. I mean, coming up with that "trigger" and crown guard contraption was something original. If they'd kept to fewer models, and tried to develop a single "classic" as their signature piece, it could have gone better. Maybe they should have been more serious on the military references with a matte case and simple dial, or whatever. I mean, of course it looks ridiculous to start with, but once upon a time, so did a 47mm Panerai. All these colours and endless specials for such a new brand, just make them look cheap to me. They've clearly got some fresh ideas and challenging new shapes is fine, but it seems like an opportunity wasted with all that kitsch.

Stitchy, I too tried the 5159 a while back - I think it was the only man's watch in the new PP boutique! The size is OK for me, perhaps because I wear a slightly smaller one most of the time. But one thing I loved was the caseback cover. Gave it a beautiful feel in my hand...like a golden Strepsil! But not much love on here for this model - don't get Belligero started on fonts...quick..hide it before he gets here...

10. no frills

no frills Senior member

11. in stitches

its ok, i know what my grail patek is, and i think the size is just right.

12. mimo

mimo Senior member

13. in stitches

well, my ultimate grail is a tourbillon, repeater, perp cal, moon phase, split seconds chrono, done tastefully. also, i prefer the tourb exposed from the dial side.

the 5207 is damn close to what i want and its also beautiful. anyone wanna get this for me? my birthday is in may so you have plenty of lead time.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

14. mimo

mimo Senior member

Haha. That is unquestionably special. But I'm not sure it's super-beautiful. OK, a bit super-beautiful. I'd take it for my birthday, too.

It's a pity your grail isn't a VC instead. It seems you need something like a "Vladimir"...

[​IMG]

15. Coldcava

Coldcava Senior member

Grail watches.. I may not have spent enough time researching watches I can never afford but I'd be ok with this...

Harry Winston Midnight Minute Repeater in white gold.

[​IMG]

16. scottcw

scottcw Senior member

Nothing as fancy as a minute repeater or a tourbillon, but the unboxing of my latest...

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

5 people like this.
  17. in stitches

^^ supremely cool ^^

mimo, the dial layout on the VC is not bad, the small arabic numbers seem silly to me. i think the PP is far better tho, and the case engravings on the VC are atrocious imo.

18. mimo

mimo Senior member

Man, that was a million wasted....I'll send it right back.

(Scott, I really really like that a lot - is the cost confidential?)

1 person likes this.
  19. scottcw

scottcw Senior member

I picked it up from the first owner for $700. Not bad for a watch that listed for $1800.

20. mimo

mimo Senior member

Even at $1800 list price, I know it's a generic movement, but it's got a real individuality about it without being at all frivolous (Graham, take note!). I think it's gorgeous and you got a real bargain - well done!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.