The Watch Appreciation Thread (Reviews and Photos of Men's Timepieces by Rolex, Patek Philippe, Brei

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by gdl203, May 20, 2007.

Tags:
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. gdl203

gdl203 Affiliate Vendor Dubiously Honored Affiliate Vendor

Yes, I believe he is the official engraver for JLC in North America. When you order an engraving at a JLC store in the US, they send it to Randell

2. WhoKnewI

WhoKnewI Senior member

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]\

A great little watch from Seiko.

3. gotlighters

gotlighters Senior member

^ where did you get the strap at?

4. dddrees

dddrees Senior member

Wearing plastic today.
    [​IMG]

5. Dino944

Dino944 Senior member

+1 Since he has been JLC's engraver for nearly 2 decades, thats the only person I'd send a watch, particularly a JLC to for engraving. In addition, unlike some engravers...he was a watch maker, so he knows how to take care of a watch. Also, make sure you like how your initial look in that style. I don't like the example above. I'm not positive if the center initial is supposed to be a P or E, and I don't know if the last one is a G or an L. In some fonts letters become too stylized and lose something.

Fantastic Red Sub!!!! [​IMG]

Last edited: Jan 5, 2013

6. dddrees

dddrees Senior member

Thank you sir.

7. Cylon

Cylon Senior member

dddrees kills it yet again

8. dddrees

dddrees Senior member

Thank you sir.

9. poorsod

poorsod Senior member

George at Tempvs Fvgit scared me off from getting a red Sub. Apparently he stopped buying them because the fakes got too good. He said he used to see red subs quite infrequently and is seeing many more these days. If a pro can't tell a real from a fake, I certainly can't.

10. in stitches

in stitches Kung Joo Moderator

thanks! me too.

great looking sub.

yup

11. PartagasIV

PartagasIV Senior member

I have seen 'art Deco' Cartier jewelry and a lot of Lucite, but would you mind posting an example of an Art Deco Jaeger monogram style? I'm admitting my complete ignorance.

And Dino, thank you for your feedback. Sage advice as always. I'm only clinging to the diamond-style monogram as all my father's shirts (hand-me-downs) were embroidered with that (we share a name), so there is some sentimental value but I'm not sold. Just know that I don't want my dog's portrait for eternity on my Reverso to display when I'm not playing polo :violin:

Stitch, thank you also.

I don't meant to mire the thread, I just value the opinions and feedback here. Getting this done, to me, would make the watch 'my own,' and hopefully pass it down the same way I was given a Calatrava from my grandfather.

12. marvin100

marvin100 Senior member

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Big Ingenieur DFB limited edition, my daily wearer.

13. apropos

apropos Senior member

It would certainly do so, IMO engraving a Reverso is something special, perhaps more so than engraving the caseback of any other watch.

Some ideas for art deco style monograms...

[​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

It's a little difficult to find art deco fonts that are not cheesy (e.g. reminiscent of the movie Chicago) or actually mislabeled art nouveau.

14. in stitches

in stitches Kung Joo Moderator

not miring at all.

apropos gave some nice ideas there that convey the general idea.

here is a link to a google search for "art deco font." there is some cool stuff in there. im sure this engraver can copy whatever font you ask for, and probably even incorporate a diamond shape if you like.

15. Dino944

Dino944 Senior member

Just wanted to clarify. I actually like the diamond-style monogram, just wanted to make sure you knew what your actual initials look like in that monogram style. One example the Reverso on yellow strap with initials ARH looked really nice in that monogram. It was the other set of intials that I thought were a bit tough to read. However, as its a style your father used (hence you already know how your initials will look in that style), family tradition is as good a reason as any to choose a particular monogram style. Also thanks for assuring us you will not be putting "Spot's" portrait on the back of your fine Reverso. [​IMG]

No miring of the thread at all...in fact I think you brought attention to a great tradition involving the Reverso. We spend a lot of time on this site discussing various strap options. In all honesty, if you pick a strap and you don' like it, your out some $$ but its quick and easy to fix. Choosing an engraving that you will enjoy for the rest of your life and pass on to future generations, well thats a far more important issue as its not a quick, easy fix if you change your mind later. So I'm really glad you brought up this topic. I actually spent a bit of time going through various options on Mr. Randell's site and contemplated what I would do if I made a Reverso my next watch. The possibilities are impressive!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.