1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

The Watch Appreciation Thread (Reviews and Photos of Men's Timepieces by Rolex, Patek Philippe, Brei

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by gdl203, May 20, 2007.

Tags:
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. in stitches

in stitches Senior member Moderator

NonServiam - delicious pic, as always.

dcg - dag looking good

frills - give me that watch. ;)

:nodding:

:blush: you are too kind.

the sad part is the lack of funds.

i was browsing my JLC catalogue and i LOVE this. want so bad.

[​IMG]

2. no frills

no frills Senior member

I quite like Corthay. For whatever reason the cognoscenti in some short-lived SF threads do not seem to like Corthay all that much, but the lasts really work for me and I like the shape of their 001 last right off as RTW.

This wingtip, for example, may appear to have a pretty "empty" vamp but I quite like the overall design, and the burnishing and blend of brown and olive is incredible in person, IMHO:

[​IMG]

Thanks, Keith T! I don't watch Iron Man movies me-self for timepieces heh heh. But the movie does bring in some interesting design/style elements. I can't imagine there hasn't been a resurgence in interest in, say, Matsuda eyewear after being featured in the movie. Or, for that matter, Google searches related to "What eyeglasses does Tony Stark wear?" Hah!

I don't worry as much about the 114270 when the wife wears it, although perhaps I should, since the lugs and bezel are mirror polished and prone to showing wear and tear. The brushed bracelet links are awesome for standing up to such abuse... which is why I am worried that the wife knows how to work the easy link clasp, setting the bracelet to exactly her right size. The 116520's polished center links and that "classically ding-able and un-polish-able" Daytona bezel raises the anxiety hackles! Hah hah!

3. dcg

dcg Senior member

All true. Hey, I said it was ridiculous, not that I was ashamed :). But I like your use of "quirky"!

I'm not sure if that functionality was part of the NASA testing, but it has been part of mine, and I'm happy to report that the Speedy is performing up to specifications.

:slayer: You are the man for helping me to acquire the Speedmaster!

1 person likes this.
  4. Keith T

Keith T Senior member

This is Sylvia.

[​IMG]

She is a mixed-breed "rescue" dog. About three years old.

Sylvia is also a big fan of the Cartier Roadster. (Coincidentally....who knew?)

If you were to suggest that it is an "uninspired" piece from a "jewelry house" that runs on a "pedestrian" movement, she will bark at you very loudly, and demand to be taken for a walk.

[​IMG]

2 people like this.
  5. DLJr

DLJr Senior member

+1 for the rescue dogs. My rescue loves watches, but to chew unfortunately.

6. in stitches

dcg - it was my honor

frills - im a huge corthay fan. the arca is one of the moat beautiful shoes all time.

1 person likes this.
  7. rach2jlc

rach2jlc Senior member Dubiously Honored

Vintage Girard-Perregaux manual. Simple, classic, easy to read, flies under the radar.

[​IMG]

Last edited: Jun 22, 2013
    1 person likes this.
  8. mimo

mimo Senior member

Seriously increases the want/need/delete as appropriate!

9. no frills

no frills Senior member

Sylvia is lovely, and certainly has great taste!

Did you say Arca?

[​IMG]

10. S K M

S K M Senior member

My first real watch arrived last Monday. I can already say for sure that I love it.

[​IMG]

Cheers,
    SKM

1 person likes this.
  11. Dino944

Dino944 Senior member

Sylvia very pretty, and has nice taste in watches. My problem with Thor is he would consider tasting the watches (actually he might just swallow one whole).
    Nice to see some Cartier love here too!
    That's a beauty. I'm guessing you tried the GP forum (I believe there is one on TZ or Puristspro). I am far from a GP expert, but it seems many watches from 1940s, 1950s and 1960s, (PP, AP, VC) just went by reference numbers. Companies often did not have collections they way they do today, for example today VC has the Patrimony, Historique, and Overseas, etc. Often times a watch back then may have been made for a very short span of time, a change or two is made, and there is a new reference number (although they probably used the same movement, until a new one was released). I doubt you will find much specific information regarding your GP, but it really is a beautiful watch. Enjoy it.

1 person likes this.
  12. Dino944

Dino944 Senior member

Very nice choice. Congrats! I'm sure it will give you many years of enjoyment!

13. rach2jlc

Thanks! yes, I tried the GP forum but it was a little overwhelming for "general" viewing. I'm not a watch expert and just buy based on (1) my aesthetic interests, (2) if I can afford it, and (3) (if vintage/used) if the seller is someone I know and/or trust!

When I bought it we had the back off and so I should have written down the numbers, but didn't think about it at the time. Will definitely do next time I'm at my local jeweler who services my goods. ;)

I think it's from the 50's or 60's... based on similar styles. But, again, it's hard to tell. Has the loveliest horse-gallop sound... tickaTICK, tickaTICK, tickaTICK. lol

Hope somebody here might have some info or lead me in the right direction.

Last edited: Jun 20, 2013
    1 person likes this.
  14. scottcw

scottcw Senior member

Nicely done, let's not stop at one.

15. in stitches

rach2jlc - i dont know about vintage GP, but i do know that that watch is lovely. enjoy it.
    :drool:
    very nice. wear it in good health.

16. rach2jlc

Thank you, sir. ;)

1 person likes this.
  17. Dino944

Dino944 Senior member

Yes, I agree its most likely from the 1950s or 1960s. I am not sure what kind of info you are looking to find out about this piece. Check Amazon and see if anyone has written a comprehensive book about GP (you might find it interesting). I have one for VC, and it has photos of dress watches, reference #s, and a few other things, but truth be told, there isn't a lot beyond that about older vintage pieces. You should try bringing it to a GP boutique, if you live near one or if you travel someplace that has one. Give them the ref # and with some research they should be able to tell you more about the watch, such as when it was made. However, I doubt you will find much more than that. There just wasn't a lot written about some of these dress watches back then.

Great looking watch. Enjoy it!

18. in stitches

:cheers:

how you been by the way?

19. Devoti

Devoti Well-Known Member

A Patek Philippe or Vacheron Constantin should fulfill that need.

1 person likes this.
  20. mimo

mimo Senior member

^^ Certainly would, but I fear as Stitchy likes his watches on the large side, the budget might be unrealistic! I was just looking at vintage VC and PP, but bigger than 34mm seems rare and expensive.

A JLC Grande Ultra Thin would seem like a sensible choice. Or if thin isn't essential, how about a nice 40mm no-date Nomos Zurich? You don't have any Germans yet, Stitch...me neither...

Last edited: Jun 20, 2013
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.