• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The Watch Appreciation Thread (Reviews and Photos of Men's Timepieces by Rolex, Patek Philippe, Brei

Status
Not open for further replies.

in stitches

Stylish Dinosaur
Spamminator Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
looks nice

in stitches

Stylish Dinosaur
Spamminator Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
we just bought a 1987 gmt master II. i need to find a way to buy its. its delicious.

Dino944

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I think Cartier does the best looking rectangular watches - Tank Francaise or Americaine or classic Santos. I'd frankly choose one of those over an uncomplicated Reverso.
I've seen a surprising amount of focus on the date function on TZ. I don't deny that it's useful to be able to glance down and know the date, especially on an absent minded morning, but I don't see how you can spend thousands of dollars on something with such a blatant aesthetic defect. To me it's almost as purpose defeating as a watch that is wildly inaccurate.
+1 Cartier is probably the company that is most famous for its use of rectangular cases. There is a huge variety of styles and sizes (new and vintage) to suit almost anyone's taste.

I agree 100%. Its absolutely rediculous how many nearly perfect designs are ruined by adding a date window to a dial. As of yet, none of my dress watches have a date.
Just wanted to resurface my question if any of the resident forum experts have thoughts. Thanks in advance.
As for your Daytona issue, while I've heard of people wanting their birth year for a watch, trying to find one in good shape that comes up for sale from 1979 could be quite difficult. There are a few sources that regularly get manual wind Daytonas, but how long it would take them to get one from 1979 is anybody's guess. You could contact Jame Dowling, he is in England. However, you have to pick it up there or have a designated agent pick it up for you. Rolex has very extreme customs laws in the US and as such Mr. Dowling will not ship watches to the States. As for pricing, the time to have gotten one of these for a fair or good price has long gone. in the 1990s you could get a non-Paul Newman Dial for about $8,000. Now I regularly see average condition models in roughly the 24,000-28,000 range...whether a seller will give you a break depends on the seller. For true top quality example with box and papers expect to pay more than that. Check Paul Duggan's website , he is in Boston and he always has a few. He has a great reputation although I've never dealt with him. I'm very fussy about condition, so most of his Daytonas when I've seen them on line, they might be in very good shape for roughly 35 year old watches, but they just are not in a condition that would make me happy. If you are more concerned about year than condition, you might be able to get into a Daytona at the lower end of the average price range. Good luck.
I echo Cyclon's sentiments. Dino may be able to help you out over here, but you may have better luck on TZ or TPP.
Also, does anyone have any feelings on the Blancpain Villeret Annual Calendar with Moonphase? I just realized that it is potentially in my budget, and it is always a watch I have admired... I cannot find a lick of information about it online though, unfortunately.

And more pics: http://www.europeanwatch.com/16977.htm#_self
Also, as an addendum... I know this may just turn out to be a dumb distraction, but it is always good to exhaust one's options before making a decision.
Great quality, but I've always had trouble getting excited about BP's designs. I find them a bit sterile. But if you like the design, its a very well made watch.

dbln79

Reaction score
Hey guys!

Dino944

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Wow, the Novecento perpetual is gorgeous:

If it had a second hand, I would be all over this. Makes you wonder how in the world IWC went so far astray with the aesthetics of the Da Vinci line.
Far nicer and more impressive than their current direction!
GP, GO, and BP are all brands I like, yet something keeps holding me back. I generally like their aesthetic, but something is just off enough to prevent me from pulling the trigger

I think it was in stitches who said something to the effect of what usually happens is people just go to JLC as a default. I dont know what it is that makes JLC right and those other guys wrong but I find my thought patterns following that well worn groove he described.
Agree completely. For some reason, I'd just feel more comfortable spending money on a JLC the a GP, GO, or BP.
This sounds like an atrocity.
I'm not saying wearing 2 watches at the same time looks great, but it was impressive to see both of those "in the wild." That was back in the day when many watch companies didn't have website, putting photos on the net was tougher, and your two best sources for seeing fine watches was your local watch shop or calling the company for a catalog.
I have to agree with that. JLC just puts out such a refined product. Although I worry that with Richemont at the helm, in the future they may start to compromise their aesthetic. Although I like the Master Compressor and the Navy Seals watches to an extent, I still think the "true" JLC is in their Master Control line. I just hope that they do not forget it. I think the problem with GP and BP is that they are so close in price to the watchmaking triumvirate. When I was looking at the BP last night, I could not help but think how close it was in pricing to a Lange Saxonia, and some rose gold offerings. And from what I have seen, BP is just not up to par in terms of finishing, at lease in regards to Lange, Patek, etc. Same thing with GP. I love the GP EOT, but at $33,000, I would much rather spring for a Lange 1.
Just my 2c.
GP should probably get away from sports watches. The Seahawk is a mess, and WTF is with the Laureato? It started out as something like a RO, Nautilus, 222, Ingenuier, and it has morphed into some hideous cartoon version of its origial design. They should stick to dress watches. I've tried on the EOT in rose gold and its simply stunning. But when I heard the price, it just made me think that's Lange territory and I just wouldn't put that kind of money into a GP. In the under $20K range its an interesting option, but even then I'd be more likely to defer to JLC or Piaget.
Basically a fashion watch with quartz movement. Nothing very significant about it. But if your gf/wife likes it thats what matters.
Very hot watch!!!!

Newcomer

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score

I'm finding this a versatile watch:

Very nice. Rarely does one find an in-house chronograph and annual calendar in a sub-$10,000 price segment. It does not look as lifeless as I though it did in photos. It actually looks very handsome, and versatile. A nice dress / sport watch. I think Zenith ought to start using a bigger movement, however, or smaller cases.

in stitches

Stylish Dinosaur
Spamminator Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score

Good luck, keep us posted.

well, i defo post a pic when its ready for sale, and hopefully i will find a way to acquire it as well. dont nobody hold their breath tho.

Dino944

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
It actually looks very handsome, and versatile. A nice dress / sport watch. I think Zenith ought to start using a bigger movement, however, or smaller cases.
+1 Great features for that price range. However, if they used a larger movement and the subdials/apperatures were spaced further apart on the dial it would further enhance the look of that watch. Still a very nice watch!

McWu

Reaction score
I definitely understand the comments about the subdial spacing. Aesthetically, the close placement isn't too much of an issue on this one as it is on some of the other El Primero models (in my eyes), but it'd certainly enhance chrono subdial legibility to not be so close to the dial center (hands obscure the subdial for a longer amount of time).

ChicagoMoose

Reaction score
y5ejumuz.jpg

Recently back from the shop and now the chrono works again, not too bad for a 40+ year old watch.
-Steve

Where did you send it? I have one that I wouldn't mind getting serviced.

Fine Swiss Watch Repair on Wabash in the loop. Kent was great to work with.

-Steve

Cylon

Reaction score
I'm gonna revisit Axelman's question re: top 5 watches after some further consideration, and cheat a little bit by putting some alternatives in each slot according to brand. I know this isnt particularly realistic, but I'd rather throw out an uncompromising list. Maybe i'll swallow my pride and post a list of 5 Seiko 5's later
rimshot.gif

1. PP 5110P worldtimer
2. an ALS "simple watch" i.e. 1815 platinum OR Richard Lange in platinum OR Anniversary Langematik
3. JLC Reverso 1931 US Edition OR still waiting for the right reverso to come along
4. Rolex sport watch, i.e 1680 Submariner OR 1680 red sub OR 1675 Pepsi GMT OR 1016 Explorer
5. JLC geophysic in stainless steel (I wouldn't mind a reissue of this watch)

...anyone wanna give me ~$90k?

Last edited:

Newcomer

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Nice call on the Geophysic. Is it wrong that I am thinking about waiting until SIHH 2013 just to see if there is a reissue this year. For some reason or another, I have a gut feeling that this could be the year of the Geophysic. Such a sexy watch. Alas, a reissue would not have the Caliber P478. However, I would LOVE to see a Geophysic reissue that was: (a) manual wind [please no Geomatic reissue], (b) unfinished like the original, (c) with a new movement similar to Cal. P478, (d) with an acrylic crystal, or domed sapphire, (e) lume plots on the domed sapphire.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.9%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 89 37.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.4%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 39 16.3%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 37 15.4%

Forum statistics

Threads