• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The Watch Appreciation Thread (Reviews and Photos of Men's Timepieces by Rolex, Patek Philippe, Brei

Status
Not open for further replies.

in stitches

Stylish Dinosaur
Spamminator Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score

Wearing this one today.
excellent.
+1. The Nautilus is a grail for me. such a refined classic.
its a beauty. there are only a handful of non super sporty very thick watches that i really LOVE on a metal bracelet. RO, nautilus, and maybe some a few others i cant think of.
"constantly" = 5 times a year :) Do you keep all your watches wound and ticking at all times?
i do not. i dont own a winder. i actually enjoy resetting my watches when i switch from one to the next. i think its fun, and manly.

dddrees

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
excellent.
its a beauty. there are only a handful of non super sporty very thick watches that i really LOVE on a metal bracelet. RO, nautilus, and maybe some a few others i cant think of.
i do not. i dont own a winder. i actually enjoy resetting my watches when i switch from one to the next. i think its fun, and manly.
Thank you sir.

Dino944

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I'm thinking of getting rectangular watch for fancier evening events. I've tried on the JLC Reverso Ultrathin but didn't like it enough to pay the $$$$. Similarly, I have considered the Lange Cabaret but it is tough to justify the price tag. So lately I've been browsing vintage watches to see if anything interesting at a fair price pops up.
Both of the watches you mentioned are really nice, but you have to like them and yes the price on the Lange is a bit tough to swallow. Vintage is always a good option and often means you won't see lots of other people with the same watch. One watch that I thought was kind of cool years ago was the IWC Novecento, from the 1990s. It never developed a huge following but it was a good looking watch and they even made a perpetual candendar version which was very cool for a rectangular watch. I had a client from Italy come in wearing an IWC Novecento perpetual calendar on one wrist and a gold Daytona on the other. Both were really good looking watches. Where there wasn't a huge following price on them are probably quite reasonable today.

johanm

Reaction score

Both of the watches you mentioned are really nice, but you have to like them and yes the price on the Lange is a bit tough to swallow.  Vintage is always a good option and often means you won't see lots of other people with the same watch.  One watch that I thought was kind of cool years ago was the IWC Novecento, from the 1990s.  It never developed a huge following but it was a good looking watch and they even made a perpetual candendar version which was very cool for a rectangular watch.  I had a client from Italy come in wearing an IWC Novecento perpetual calendar on one wrist and a gold Daytona on the other.  Both were really good looking watches.  Where there wasn't a huge following price on them are probably quite reasonable today. 

Wow, the Novecento perpetual is gorgeous:

If it had a second hand, I would be all over this. Makes you wonder how in the world IWC went so far astray with the aesthetics of the Da Vinci line.

Last edited:

rnguy001

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I was talking once to a huge watch guy. He used to make vacations out of visiting all the various factories - IWC, JLC, Rolex, AP etc. I think he was an engineer and he was saying the Blancpain factory was incredible, and the way they engineer/manufacture their cases was spectacular. He went on about the details, but my memory sucks and I'm just not qualified to speculate on what he was saying. Needless to say, Blancpain = awesome.

I totally agree, a little under-appreciated IMO. (I feel the same way about GP btw)

it really is. so well finished, and so robust yet simple and classy. its a great watch. they are under appreciated sometimes in general i think.

Cylon

Reaction score
GP, GO, and BP are all brands I like, yet something keeps holding me back. I generally like their aesthetic, but something is just off enough to prevent me from pulling the trigger

I think it was in stitches who said something to the effect of what usually happens is people just go to JLC as a default. I dont know what it is that makes JLC right and those other guys wrong but I find my thought patterns following that well worn groove he described.

Last edited:

Axelman 17

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Both of the watches you mentioned are really nice, but you have to like them and yes the price on the Lange is a bit tough to swallow.  Vintage is always a good option and often means you won't see lots of other people with the same watch.  One watch that I thought was kind of cool years ago was the IWC Novecento, from the 1990s.  It never developed a huge following but it was a good looking watch and they even made a perpetual candendar version which was very cool for a rectangular watch.  I had a client from Italy come in wearing an IWC Novecento perpetual calendar on one wrist and a gold Daytona on the other.  Both were really good looking watches.  Where there wasn't a huge following price on them are probably quite reasonable today. 

This sounds like an atrocity.

Edit: Hah! 1,000 posts, only took 5.5 years.

Last edited:

ChicagoMoose

Reaction score
y5ejumuz.jpg

Recently back from the shop and now the chrono works again, not too bad for a 40+ year old watch.

-Steve

Newcomer

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score

I am kind of with Stitchy in this regard--I love being able to tinker with my watches in the morning! I appreciate the anecdotal remarks on your Leman Timezone, I hear little about BP. I will keep the thread updated!

Very interesting perspective. Personally, I like the roman numerals and the curved date hand on the new one, but I like the size, logo placement, and moon face on the previous version. It is a bit of a wash for me. For some reason, I prefer the balance of the new one to the old one, but wish it was a little smaller.

And I kind of have the same feeling about the VM. I find it a bit stodgy, perhaps, whereas the JLC MUT Moon is a bit more refined, simplistic. However, I really appreciate the whimsical and quirky side of BP. Both appeal to me, albeit in very different ways.

I feel the same way about BP and GP. In particular, GP, although I think that they shoot themselves in the foot with some of their designs *cough, seahawk.*

GP, GO, and BP are all brands I like, yet something keeps holding me back. I generally like their aesthetic, but something is just off enough to prevent me from pulling the trigger

I think it was in stitches who said something to the effect of what usually happens is people just go to JLC as a default. I dont know what it is that makes JLC right and those other guys wrong but I find my thought patterns following that well worn groove he described.

I have to agree with that. JLC just puts out such a refined product. Although I worry that with Richemont at the helm, in the future they may start to compromise their aesthetic. Although I like the Master Compressor and the Navy Seals watches to an extent, I still think the "true" JLC is in their Master Control line. I just hope that they do not forget it. I think the problem with GP and BP is that they are so close in price to the watchmaking triumvirate. When I was looking at the BP last night, I could not help but think how close it was in pricing to a Lange Saxonia, and some rose gold offerings. And from what I have seen, BP is just not up to par in terms of finishing, at lease in regards to Lange, Patek, etc. Same thing with GP. I love the GP EOT, but at $33,000, I would much rather spring for a Lange 1.

Just my 2c.

Cantabrigian

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

I've seen a surprising amount of focus on the date function on TZ. I don't deny that it's useful to be able to glance down and know the date, especially on an absent minded morning, but I don't see how you can spend thousands of dollars on something with such a blatant aesthetic defect. To me it's almost as purpose defeating as a watch that is wildly inaccurate.

I probably use a watch to see the date as often as I do to see the time. Most days, my innate sense of about what time it is is good enough since I don't go to many meetings or have to catch many flights.

The date window is certainly an aesthetic challenge but I look at it as a test of design skill rather than a instafail.

in stitches

Stylish Dinosaur
Spamminator Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score

I was talking once to a huge watch guy. He used to make vacations out of visiting all the various factories - IWC, JLC, Rolex, AP etc. I think he was an engineer and he was saying the Blancpain factory was incredible, and the way they engineer/manufacture their cases was spectacular. He went on about the details, but my memory sucks and I'm just not qualified to speculate on what he was saying. Needless to say, Blancpain = awesome.
I totally agree, a little under-appreciated IMO. (I feel the same way about GP btw)

one thing i would love to do one day, is spend a month or 3 in the swiss mountains visiting all the manufactures and museums..... le sigh.

yeah, its hard to put a finger on it, but they just end up being the watches that most people get as a 4th or 5th, not for your average guy out to just start his collection.

also, like newcomer said, a lot of their offerings are on the steeper end.

i love JLC. imo they make great watches and cover almost all price points and quality/finishing points.

Edit: Hah! 1,000 posts, only took 5.5 years.

CONGRATS!!!!! :slayer:

Last edited:

Dadaa

Reaction score
Can anybody provide any information for the following watch? I do not know much about
Alfred Dunhill watches. I am familiar with Alfred Dunhill cases, attaché cases. Any help and information would be greatly appreciated!!! Thank you!
Alfred Dunhill Baby Facet Ladies' Rectangular 40 Diamond Watch with Stainless Steel Band
Model # DQ1998Z
The pictures of the watch can be found by clicking on my profile.
Again, thank you for your help and input!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 36 15.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads