The Watch Appreciation Thread (Reviews and Photos of Men's Timepieces by Rolex, Patek Philippe, Brei

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by gdl203, May 20, 2007.

Tags:
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. gdl203

gdl203 Affiliate Vendor Dubiously Honored Affiliate Vendor

"constantly" = 5 times a year :)

Do you keep all your watches wound and ticking at all times?

Last edited: Jan 3, 2013

2. dopey

dopey Senior member Dubiously Honored

Actually, "constantly" is less than 12 times a year. You only need to set it after a 30 or 28 day month. I think it is the principle that bothers me most in that it is in inelegant implementation. Mechanical watches are neat because they are machines that work and the date function doesn't seem to "work" right. It is a level of clumsiness we wouldn't accept in most other functional devices. But I am certainly not claiming it should bother you.

Also, I am not a watch guy. I don't change watches often. I tend to wear the same watch every day for months at a time, with the occasional swap for a dress watch. So, to answer your other question, I will go six-months or so with my main watch wound all the time, so a non-working date would bug me (and I do have some vintage chronographs like that - I just don't set the date at all and ignore it).

3. dddrees

dddrees Senior member

Thank you Sir.

4. in stitches

in stitches Kung Joo Moderator

excellent.
    its a beauty. there are only a handful of non super sporty very thick watches that i really LOVE on a metal bracelet. RO, nautilus, and maybe some a few others i cant think of.
    i do not. i dont own a winder. i actually enjoy resetting my watches when i switch from one to the next. i think its fun, and manly.

5. dddrees

dddrees Senior member

Thank you sir.

6. Dino944

Dino944 Senior member

Both of the watches you mentioned are really nice, but you have to like them and yes the price on the Lange is a bit tough to swallow. Vintage is always a good option and often means you won't see lots of other people with the same watch. One watch that I thought was kind of cool years ago was the IWC Novecento, from the 1990s. It never developed a huge following but it was a good looking watch and they even made a perpetual candendar version which was very cool for a rectangular watch. I had a client from Italy come in wearing an IWC Novecento perpetual calendar on one wrist and a gold Daytona on the other. Both were really good looking watches. Where there wasn't a huge following price on them are probably quite reasonable today.

7. johanm

johanm Senior member

Wow, the Novecento perpetual is gorgeous:

[​IMG]

If it had a second hand, I would be all over this. Makes you wonder how in the world IWC went so far astray with the aesthetics of the Da Vinci line.

8. rnguy001

rnguy001 Senior member

I was talking once to a huge watch guy. He used to make vacations out of visiting all the various factories - IWC, JLC, Rolex, AP etc. I think he was an engineer and he was saying the Blancpain factory was incredible, and the way they engineer/manufacture their cases was spectacular. He went on about the details, but my memory sucks and I'm just not qualified to speculate on what he was saying. Needless to say, Blancpain = awesome.

I totally agree, a little under-appreciated IMO. (I feel the same way about GP btw)

9. mws222

mws222 Member

Went with this one today:

[​IMG]

10. Cylon

Cylon Senior member

GP, GO, and BP are all brands I like, yet something keeps holding me back. I generally like their aesthetic, but something is just off enough to prevent me from pulling the trigger

I think it was in stitches who said something to the effect of what usually happens is people just go to JLC as a default. I dont know what it is that makes JLC right and those other guys wrong but I find my thought patterns following that well worn groove he described.

11. Axelman 17

Axelman 17 Senior member

This sounds like an atrocity.

Edit: Hah! 1,000 posts, only took 5.5 years.

12. ChicagoMoose

ChicagoMoose New Member

[​IMG]

Recently back from the shop and now the chrono works again, not too bad for a 40+ year old watch.

-Steve

13. Newcomer

Newcomer Senior member

I am kind of with Stitchy in this regard--I love being able to tinker with my watches in the morning! I appreciate the anecdotal remarks on your Leman Timezone, I hear little about BP. I will keep the thread updated!

Very interesting perspective. Personally, I like the roman numerals and the curved date hand on the new one, but I like the size, logo placement, and moon face on the previous version. It is a bit of a wash for me. For some reason, I prefer the balance of the new one to the old one, but wish it was a little smaller.

And I kind of have the same feeling about the VM. I find it a bit stodgy, perhaps, whereas the JLC MUT Moon is a bit more refined, simplistic. However, I really appreciate the whimsical and quirky side of BP. Both appeal to me, albeit in very different ways.

I feel the same way about BP and GP. In particular, GP, although I think that they shoot themselves in the foot with some of their designs *cough, seahawk.*

I have to agree with that. JLC just puts out such a refined product. Although I worry that with Richemont at the helm, in the future they may start to compromise their aesthetic. Although I like the Master Compressor and the Navy Seals watches to an extent, I still think the "true" JLC is in their Master Control line. I just hope that they do not forget it. I think the problem with GP and BP is that they are so close in price to the watchmaking triumvirate. When I was looking at the BP last night, I could not help but think how close it was in pricing to a Lange Saxonia, and some rose gold offerings. And from what I have seen, BP is just not up to par in terms of finishing, at lease in regards to Lange, Patek, etc. Same thing with GP. I love the GP EOT, but at $33,000, I would much rather spring for a Lange 1.

Just my 2c.

14. Cantabrigian

Cantabrigian Senior member

I probably use a watch to see the date as often as I do to see the time. Most days, my innate sense of about what time it is is good enough since I don't go to many meetings or have to catch many flights.

The date window is certainly an aesthetic challenge but I look at it as a test of design skill rather than a instafail.

15. in stitches

in stitches Kung Joo Moderator

one thing i would love to do one day, is spend a month or 3 in the swiss mountains visiting all the manufactures and museums..... le sigh.

yeah, its hard to put a finger on it, but they just end up being the watches that most people get as a 4th or 5th, not for your average guy out to just start his collection.

also, like newcomer said, a lot of their offerings are on the steeper end.

i love JLC. imo they make great watches and cover almost all price points and quality/finishing points.

CONGRATS!!!!! :slayer:

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.