• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The Watch Appreciation Thread (Reviews and Photos of Men's Timepieces by Rolex, Patek Philippe, Brei

Status
Not open for further replies.

johanm

Reaction score
The JLC MUT Moon could have been a perfect watch if they went for any color dial other than silver. Cream like the RG version or black would have been fantastic, but white enamel would be so :inlove:The silver combined with the silver hands gives me the same "middle management" vibe that people are criticizing on that two tone Longines, especially when seen in person vs in pics. JMHO.

If you guys are looking for a manual wind with similarly classical aesthetics, check out the Grand Seiko SBGW031..

in stitches

Stylish Dinosaur
Spamminator Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score

I saw the Lange 1 Moonphase the other day... Jaw droppingly beautiful. By the way, I think that I have made my decision.
I am 99% sure that I am going to go (not GO) for the JLC MUT Moon. It is just such a gorgeous watch. And I may put the remainder in something less expensive to bum around in. Perhaps a Stowa, or something of that ilk. That is still to be determined. Also, happy new years to all! I have had a great time reading, learning, and talking shop with y'all over the last year. On an unrelated tangent, any recommended JLC ADs? Been looking at Govberg. In addition, I was looking around for watches for the lady friend, as she asked. My goodness are women's watches ever a scam! I was looking at the Michele watches in particular, and it is UNBELIEVABLE what they are getting away with... Murder! Touting strap changing as something revolutionary? It is absolutely absurd. For a close to $2,000 watch for some of them, you are getting so little it is absurd. They feel incredibly flimsy as well.
super glad you have decided. almost. lol. if you like, PM me. i can probably help you out on both fronts. :)
What do you guys think about the PP Tophat?
dont think i could pull it off, but its a beautiful watch.
Hi Guys I need some advice, I want to buy one of these 2 watches, and would like to know which you would choose above the other and why.
first one. not even a question.

plot

Reaction score

Hi Guys I need some advice, I want to buy one of these 2 watches, and would like to know which you would choose above the other and why.

img

img

Although the first looks much better than the second, I don't know what the hell Longines were thinking when they placed the date window right above the 6 like that.

Newcomer

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score
The six should have been removed. Or, alternatively, they should have chosen to cover the date aperture. I would suggest expanding your search, personally.

Cylon

Reaction score
Longines Heritage 1942 Chrono is a pretty damn sweet watch

Last edited:

johanm

Reaction score

Although the first looks much better than the second, I don't know what the hell Longines were thinking when they placed the date window right above the 6 like that.

Would love to hear an explanation of cut numerals, radial flips, and other obvious dial imperfections on so many watches in the market. My best guess is that they want to maintain a level of dissatisfaction in their customers in order to sell more watches in the future.

Last edited:

Cylon

Reaction score
Frederique Constant makes a good watch on a budget.

I really dont know why Longines does this. Maybe its too hard to modify the stock movement?

Last edited:

xMaximex

Reaction score

First one without any hesitation; as others stated, I don't get the date window over the 6. Either remove the 6 or place the date window at a more usual position. Otherwise, good looking watch, that would probably look better / be more versatile in silver.

Newcomer

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score

Frederique Constant makes a good watch on a budget.

I really dont know why Longines does this. Maybe its too hard to modify the stock movement?

I am certain it is because they do not want to alter the stock ETA date module. I have a feeling it is probably not simple to modify. Well, economically speaking.

Last edited:

McWu

Reaction score
Wearing a new arrival today.

Annual calendar + in-house chronograph. :nodding:

Last edited:

Dadaa

Reaction score
Can anybody provide any information for the following watch? I do not know much about
Alfred Dunhill watches. I am familiar with Alfred Dunhill cases, attaché cases. Any help and information would be greatly appreciated!!! Thank you!

Alfred Dunhill Baby Facet Ladies' Rectangular 40 Diamond Watch with Stainless Steel Band
Model # DQ1998Z

The pictures of the watch can be found by clicking on my profile.
Again, thank you for your help and input!

Last edited:

Dino944

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
What do you guys think about the PP Tophat?
I like it, and the condition at least in the photo is excellent! I have often thought that if I got a Patek I would choose a Gondolo or some other rectangular model.
I don't have any and that maybe I should.
If you don't have a rectangular watch, I highly recommend adding one you your collection. I love having non-round dress watches. At times seem a bit more formal and unexpected. They also look and wear differently than round watches. You don't have to go very large for them still to look modern. I wear round sport watches most of the week so if I dress up for an evening out it feels a bit more special to put on a non-round watch. Maybe like if you wear sneakers much of the week and then you put on a pair of bespoke shoes for nice event. Just my 2 cents.

Go for the one on the leather band. Although, I'd look for one without the date cutting up the number 6.
Wearing this one today.
Great watch. My LV doesn't get enough wrist time but its one of my favorites.
Or, alternatively, they should have chosen to cover the date aperture. I would suggest expanding your search, personally.
+1
Would love to hear an explanation of cut numerals, radial flips, and other obvious dial imperfections on so many watches in the market. My best guess is that they want to maintain a level of dissatisfaction in their customers in order to sell more watches in the future.
Before I really got into collecting, I thought not giving a watch a date function was just a cost saving measure. Now I recognize how often the symmetry of a dial is lost due to a date function. Its really quite sad what a mess companies often make of a dial just to put in a date window. I think most companies believe adding a date for practicality's sake increases the number of potential buyers. Just one example, but the Rolex Daytona has been subject to lots criticism for not having a date. Just research it on TZ. When Rolex used the Zenith El Primero as a base people ranted about them not making use of the date function that the movement has. Then some people bitched that the inhouse movement didn't give a date. I've also seen a ton of posts about people selling them after a short time because they found they can't live with a watch that doesn't have a date function. So sadly, I think its a bit of management pandering to the masses who complain when a watch doesn't have a date. I think collectors or those with an interest in design are the ones that more often choose watches without a date.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 36 15.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads