1. Welcome to the new Styleforum!

We hope you’re as excited as we are to hang out in the new place. There are more new features that we’ll announce in the near future, but for now we hope you’ll enjoy the new site.

We are currently fine-tuning the forum for your browsing pleasure, so bear with any lingering dust as we work to make Styleforum even more awesome than it was.

Oh, and don’t forget to head over to the Styleforum Journal, because we’re giving away two pairs of Carmina shoes to celebrate our move!

Please address any questions about using the new forum to support@styleforum.net

Cheers,

The Styleforum Team

Dismiss Notice

The Watch Appreciation Thread (Reviews and Photos of Men's Timepieces by Rolex, Patek Philippe, Brei

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by gdl203, May 20, 2007.

Tags:
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. speedster.8

speedster.8 Well-Known Member

It's not a GMT. The red hand is for the date.
    Thanks for pointing out the obvious. I can get a head of my self & wish for something [​IMG] Stil nice though... I also inherited some descent ones from my grandparents. Had one of them restorerd beyond original value. But I wear it with great joy.

2. KBW

KBW Well-Known Member

Contaygious GO should send commission your way as I have to buy one of those after seeing yours.

3. contaygious

contaygious Well-Known Member

Haha. I have only had it for the weekend, but highly reccomend it. It has been very accurate so far and I love knowing that I never have to wind it. At first it just seemed so small when I received it as I'm used to seeing 42s nowadays, but after having it on my wrist I can honestly say that I wouldn't want it any bigger than 39.5 and it does wear a bit bigger than most around that size IMO (i.e. Chopard L.U.C., Girard-Perregaux Classique Elegance - the other two I was considering).

4. LabelKing

LabelKing Well-Known Member

Chaumet has a nice looking pocketwatch that they offer.

5. rnoldh

rnoldh Well-Known Member

I found a Breaitling and a Pulsar watch! Well it was while searching my own things for items to give away after some weight loss. I mean clothing items, not the watches. C'mon people, who gives away Breitlings?

Anyway, I came across these yesterday:

The Breitling was bought by me about 10 years ago when I was flush. Then and now I know little about watches. I bought it because it is a chronometerr and I liked the colors! It is a quartz Breitling, and I don't even know if I considered other watches back then:

First here's my dad's mechanical Pulsar:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

It's old, and it's nothing special but I love the idea that he wore it and wouhd it every day and now I'm going to do the same. He passed away over 35 years ago. AAMOF, I've been told that the Pulsar mechanicals are much rarer than the quartz Pulsars. What say you watch experrts?

And here's the Breitling. Besutiful colors and looks to me, but what do I know. And believe it or not 10 years ago I didn't even consider mechanical or quartz as a buying decision.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

What say you watch experts on this one?

BTW: I love things with a story. My daily watch has been a 1967 Longines Flagship that was given to me by a Dave Rickey (now deceased). He was an Olympic coach who coached 5 Gold Medal winners in the 1968 Mexico City Olympics. The Longines Flagship was presented to him after the Modesto Relays of that year and he owned it till he died last year. I'll picture that one when I get a chance.

Watch guys, give me some input? I love my dad's watch more and more and it's now my daily go to. I bought the Breitling at Tourneau in the Galleria in the early 1990s (pre internet shopping days). I literally had forgotten about it and hadn't worn it in about 10 years or more!

It has no sentimental value to me. I might or might not be able to find the original receipts, but I have the Wooden Breitling Box, the outer box, and the warranty card and some other papers. Of course it's in nice shape. I'll probably get it serviced or maybe put a new movement in it (I don't think or know if it needs one, but I'm a perfectionist about such things).

Greg and you watch guys. What is the approximate value of a Breitling like this? Is it desirable? Yes, I know I can go to Timezone but I know nothing about watches and was just looking for input and some sort of ballpark value opinion.

6. gdl203

gdl203 Well-Known Member

I'll let Breitling collectors answer these questions. I never had an interest in the brand so I don't know anything about the collectibility or value of your watch. Sorry [​IMG]

7. zippyh

zippyh Well-Known Member

Watch guys, give me some input? I love my dad's watch more and more and it's now my daily go to. I bought the Breitling at Tourneau in the Galleria in the early 1990s (pre internet shopping days). I literally had forgotten about it and hadn't worn it in about 10 years or more! It has no sentimental value to me. I might or might not be able to find the original receipts, but I have the Wooden Breitling Box, the outer box, and the warranty card and some other papers. Of course it's in nice shape. I'll probably get it serviced or maybe put a new movement in it (I don't think or know if it needs one, but I'm a perfectionist about such things). Greg and you watch guys. What is the approximate value of a Breitling like this? Is it desirable? Yes, I know I can go to Timezone but I know nothing about watches and was just looking for input and some sort of ballpark value opinion.
    I hesitate to state any value but honestly, it's not a very desireable watch. I gave my cousin a similar Breitling quartz chrono a few years ago. It's probably a similar vintage as yours. He had it serviced recently by Breitling and I think it cost on the order of $500. I think they replaced the movement and hands. They did replace the strap for "free" though. I believe that $500 would be a large percentage of what you'd be able to get for it. If you don't like that two-tone effect anymore, I think you can fairly easily replace the gold rider tabs with SS ones. If you do like that look, nevermind. Oh, and the box is bakelite.

8. SoCal2NYC

SoCal2NYC Well-Known Member

I'll let Breitling collectors answer these questions. I never had an interest in the brand so I don't know anything about the collectibility or value of your watch. Sorry [​IMG]

My feeling for both Breitling and Omega.

9. gdl203

gdl203 Well-Known Member

My feeling for both Breitling and Omega.

I know you do. I am puzzled by your lack of appreciation for Omega given your general good taste in watch designs, but I acknowledge it.

10. borderline

borderline Well-Known Member

my bet it's some type of a rolex cellini, current, not vintage.

Update on the Mad Men watch I posted earlier in the thread. Those guys over at Timezone noted that JLC has been mentioned as being used on the show, but that doesn't mean this particular watch is a JLC.

To me it kind of looks much more like a version of this JLC, and nothing like any rolex cellini I've seen online:

http://www.antiquewatchcouk.com/watc...frontside4.JPG

Another guy said "That is not a case, dial, or handset that JLC ever used. There is also far to much writing on the dial for it to be a JLC."

Therefore no one has been able to ID this watch yet.

11. SoCal2NYC

SoCal2NYC Well-Known Member

I know you do. I am puzzled by your lack of appreciation for Omega given your general good taste in watch designs, but I acknowledge it.

Even my hard on for Michael Phelps and love of the color orange hasn't swayed me yet....

12. iridium7777

iridium7777 Well-Known Member

Another guy said "That is not a case, dial, or handset that JLC ever used. There is also far to much writing on the dial for it to be a JLC."

Therefore no one has been able to ID this watch yet.

exactly for that reason, i think it's some variation of a rolex cellini. rolex are known to make a brazillion of different dials for models like datejust and day date, even daytonas, i don't see why this isn't some platinum special cellini.

to me it looks much closer to one of these than any other jlc i've seen, well, maybe not the last one:
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

13. Big A

Big A Well-Known Member

I think it is a JLC - there is a version of the Polaris face that looks a lot like that watch.

However, that Cellini is a close match as well.

As a JLC enthusiast, I am stumped.

14. Lucky Strike

Lucky Strike Well-Known Member

Cheapo NOS Indian army watch, stripey band: [​IMG]

15. embowafa

embowafa Well-Known Member

Cheapo NOS Indian army watch, stripey band:

[​IMG]

I'm a sucker for simple black faces with big numbers...very nice watch and band.

16. emptym

emptym Well-Known Member

17. speedster.8

speedster.8 Well-Known Member

exactly for that reason, i think it's some variation of a rolex cellini. to me it looks much closer to one of these than any other jlc i've seen [​IMG]
    I think it is a JLC - there is a version of the Polaris face that looks a lot like that watch. However, that Cellini is a close match as well. As a JLC enthusiast, I am stumped.
    I would guess a Memovox (plongeur/polaris), from lugs, but the dial looks close to the celini above. But not lugs or case. My humble 2c (The Polaris is dificult to get ...)

18. Mblova

Mblova Well-Known Member

Lucky STrike, very nice watch. If you don't mind me asking, where did you aquire it?

19. Lucky Strike

Lucky Strike Well-Known Member

Lucky STrike, very nice watch. If you don't mind me asking, where did you aquire it?
    Ebay, the manufacturer is HMT, Indian seller who had several more. I paid something like $60, shipping included.

20. KBW

KBW Well-Known Member

Ebay, the manufacturer is HMT, Indian seller who had several more. I paid something like $60, shipping included.

Buying one of these as well...I need to skip over this thread in the future.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.