The Watch Appreciation Thread (Reviews and Photos of Men's Timepieces by Rolex, Patek Philippe, Brei

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by gdl203, May 20, 2007.

Tags:
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Cylon

Cylon Senior member

edit and apology for coming out of the gate swinging so hard [​IMG]

Last edited: Dec 28, 2012

2. idfnl

idfnl Senior member

FTFY

3. Hayward

Hayward Senior member

I'm pretty sure Connery wore a wristwatch in most of his films.

4. patrick_b

patrick_b Senior member

Exactly. That and a full steel back strap for the PP.

5. Belligero

Belligero Senior member

Assuming that you're referring to me, it's a legitimate inquiry done with the intention of not making it seem like trying to pass off fake watches as real ones is anywhere near acceptable. Because there's absolutely no doubt that they're counterfeit.

6. apropos

apropos Senior member

Very nice Walther.

The Breitling Bond wore was a modified Top Time - modified as in stock dial, non-stock case. Not the Top Time you commonly see FS on the internetz either as the Top Time he wore does not have a contrast white tachy scale.

The watch which he stripped off the pilot was a Navitimer.

Would be interested in the outcome of Hampton's enquiries as well - but IMO (and because I'm a grumpy cynic)... youngish poster, occasional humblebrags, vaguely aspirational screen name, quick succession of gaudy watches that may/may not be fakes... I'm not holding my breath.

7. DerekS

DerekS Guyliner

well, im a total asshole, but i was wondering as well. If you guys told me i got hosed on a deal id fill you in on the outcome.

this.

but anyway...back to watches.... anyone have any thoughts on a brown strap for my explorer I? thought about a brown croc, but that may be too dressy...want something a little more rugged....you think a strap from don like patrick b posted on his seamaster? open to any other options too. just not ABP. love their stuff, but im not wanting to drop a few hundred for a strap right now.

8. idfnl

idfnl Senior member

There is more to it than this. Lets just say its historical.

9. apropos

apropos Senior member

36 or 39mm?

I agree with you that a brown croc is too dressy... if you are thinking of a "bamboo" style croc. There are other croc straps with a rougher finish that can work IMO.

A tan or brown strap in buffalo or a grained leather would work well. Another more unusual option would be distressed grey/charcoal - the melange of light brown flecks showing through the distressed leather can be quite nice with a black-faced watch.

Yet another option would be to look at the LE Tenzing edition of Explorers - can't recall the exact strap off the top of my head but remember it was nice.

Or... whiskey cordovan, heh heh. Cordovan darkens with wear so IMO the lighter colours are preferable. The stitching in mine actually sets off the creamy tritium in the dial, which you can't see in the bad flash photo.

I think the E1 can take a strap with no stitching, but I think it looks best with some stitching on the strap, whether it's the 2 long parallel ones or a line across the strap near the lugs.

Hope that helps...

10. Belligero

Belligero Senior member

I haven't really found a conventional strap that works on any recent steel sports model, ABP or otherwise. Have you tried a leather NATO with polished hardware? They're the only thing aside from the original bracelet that I like on the glossy/WG dial models; here's my GMT II on one...

[​IMG]

11. McWu

McWu Active Member

My collection is in constant flux, but this one seems to be the cornerstone...

[​IMG]

Good to see some familiar "faces" here. [​IMG]

Last edited: Dec 29, 2012

12. patrick_b

patrick_b Senior member

Wow, that's pretty sharp. I never warmed to the leather NATO but that looks quite nice. Beautiful image. Do you have an image that shows the strap a bit clearer?

I don't have any experience with the Hodinkee straps but they look nice to my eye. I don't think they reach the ABP prices, they run ~$150.

http://shop.hodinkee.com/collections/leather-straps

I like this one for instance:

[​IMG]

Definitely not too dressy.

13. Cylon

Cylon Senior member

I have a hodinkee dark brown suede strap. I bought it for my speedy pro. It's nice and works well for the application youre thinking of.

I'm thinking I may get an attila aszodi strap- (blue caiman) for my MUTM

[​IMG]

you guys sick of my hemming and hawing yet?

14. patrick_b

patrick_b Senior member

I could have sworn I'd posted pictures in the original Watch pron thread but it was actually in a rather obscure, "How many watches do you own" thread:

http://www.styleforum.net/t/11584/how-many-watches-do-you-own/100_100#post_1981656

I forgot how photogenic the Sinn FliegerChrono was with its big (relative) domed acrylic crystal.

[​IMG]

I bought this when there was just one Sinn dealer in the US. A TZ referral led me to Silvermagic Watches in Switzerland. I'm sure that Sinn didn't want EU dealers shipping to the states but he didn't have a problem doing so. I had to call him with my CC info and this was my first experience getting hit with fees/duty for an overseas purchase. I don't think it was significant, likely less than $50. I work from a home office and left for a minute only to return to find the dreaded yellow, "We missed you" note from UPS. I hunted my UPS driver down that day to accept delivery.

IIRC I made out pretty well with the Swiss dealer's price, it was something like 30% less than the US price. I wish I kept this one too, I thought 39mm was too small at the time. It recorded dozens of Rib Eye's on the grill over the years.

I'm glad I found this thread, it's been a nice walk down memory lane for me and has certainly reignited my desire to start window shopping again.

15. Cylon

Cylon Senior member

I'm thinking of picking up a stowa flieger (no logo no date) soon and putting it on a bund. That Sinn looks good and might make me rethink some things!

We'd love to hear any and all of your stories!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.