The Watch Appreciation Thread (Reviews and Photos of Men's Timepieces by Rolex, Patek Philippe, Brei

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by gdl203, May 20, 2007.

Tags:
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Warren G.

Warren G. Senior member

love it Cylon :slayer:

2. arkane

arkane Well-Known Member

3. in stitches

in stitches Kung Joo Moderator

looks fantastic.
    dont recall, but worth a re-post. love it.
    that is a thing of beauty.

4. mimo

mimo Pernicious Enabler

That's not right. Here's a promo pic of the DeVille in "From Russia With Love", but I also seem to recall a Seamaster in one of the Connery movies.

[​IMG]

But I'm totally with you on the BMWs! And for me, the biggest offence of all was Roger Moore's Gucci loafers. Unmanly in my view. Although, as with the Rolex, loyal to the book in a way - apparently the original Bond didn't like the fuss of shoelaces. Being based on a slovenly writer, of course. Hence too the lazy schoolboy four-in-hand tie knot so beloved of SF fashionistas. Which the Roger Moore bond eschewed for a sturdy windsor. Anyway, I'm waffling now....loving the watches...thank you, I'll get my coat...

Last edited: Dec 28, 2012

5. point1

point1 Member

It's a Z8 not a Z3 quite the difference :)

6. patrick_b

patrick_b Senior member

You are quite right. It's more than a fair trade.

My vintage Rolex experience is limited but I spent a good chunk of the mid 00's sourcing a red 1680 from the year I was born. It's harder than one would think. I got close in finding one within a year of my 1970target. I let it go for a tidy profit around 07 but after learning so much more in the following years (feet vs. meters first, open vs. closed 6, etc.) I don't miss it all that much. My example was in very good condition but a bit of a frankenwatch. I'll find another one day and prices are very reasonable these days so that's a plus.

Good luck with your search. Like many others, I've found that the search is a good part of the fun!

If you haven't checked out Don Ginsler's offerings, please do. Reasonably priced and he's such a nice guy offering a quality product. The brown one in my Seamaster pic is one of his Panerai style straps in 24mm but you could get one in 20mm. They just aren't as Thick which is what I was after.

Don's site:

http://rlx.homestead.com/don.html

He's in Canada but ships very quickly and provides first rate customer service.

Now that I think of it, I may have a black 22mm thick (Panerai style) from Don that I butchered a bit when attempting to notch it to fit the 20mm lugs. I'd be happy to give it to you if you'd like to see if its something you want to try. Unfortunately there is no buckle as I used it on the brown one pictured.

7. HEPennypacker

HEPennypacker Senior member

I thought Omega appeared earlier than Goldeneye. Thanks for the correction. Lol at Gucci and 4IH.
    The World Is Not Enough had a Z8. At least that was a respectable car. Goldeneye had the sorry Z3.

8. ant702

ant702 Senior member

Both are bad autos! Sorry[​IMG]

9. Kaplan

Kaplan Senior member

And here's a promo shot of the Luminor he apparently also wore in From Russia With Love: [​IMG]

10. johanm

johanm Senior member

This is actually a pretty good glove design for wearing with watches. The leather behind the zipper prevents the metal from ever touching the wrist or watch.

11. Dino944

Dino944 Senior member

Not sure what that promo photo is for or if it means anything. Are you saying the DeVille was worn by Sean Connery in From Russia with Love? Or was it another character that wore it? I've never seen Sean Connery wear an Omega in any Bond film. Do you have any photos of him wearing it in From Russia with Love? Here is a site showing the Submariner Connery wore in From Russia with Love. http://watchesinmovies.info/movies/from-russia-with-love-1963/
    They have a full list of watches worn in the Bond films with photos, and it mentions Rolex, Hamilton, Seiko, Breitling, and Omega, but Omega is not listed for anything prior to Goldeneye with Pierce Brosnan. I also looked on Omega's website and there is a section on James Bond, but they don't talk about Bond wearing an Omega before Goldeneye. Another site says before Omega was worn by Bond he wore Rolex watches (and they list From Russia with Love as one where he wore a Rolex. http://www.jamesbondlifestyle.com/product/rolex I'm just curious what scene or which character wore the Omega DeVille in the photo you submitted. If he wore it and you never see it in the film, it makes it sort of irrelevant.
    Bond DID drive a Z3, in Goldeneye. He drove a Z8 in a later movie, The World is Not Enough.

12. Cylon

Cylon Senior member

I thought prices of vintage Rolex were currently through the roof?!

13. mimo

mimo Pernicious Enabler

No idea; could be nonsense. Although I thought he wore a Seamaster in another film, but I can't remember which that was either. Then again, it wouldn't be surprising if he wore more than one in a movie. Product placement wasn't the industry it is now.

The only thing I'm sure of is that 99% of the internet is pulled out of somebody's ass. Whether it's my link or your link falling into that category I really can't be bothered to find out. But I'll assume it's both! Sorry for the digression, and doubly so if it's actually bullshit. :)

14. Kaplan

Kaplan Senior member

15. DerekS

DerekS Guyliner

HAHAHAHAHAHAHA!!!!

correct D. That photo linked isnt a "promo pic" I suppose that omega was out at the same time, but it wasnt worn by Connery in a bond film. Maybe he had one in his personal collection, but omega was never worn by bond prior to goldeneye

theres some internet crazies that dissect bond films....his watches are pretty much one of the most popularly discussed items he owns. Its not hard at all to find what watches he wore in any movie.

and to clarify....your link was the one pulled from someones ass ;)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.