The Watch Appreciation Thread (Reviews and Photos of Men's Timepieces by Rolex, Patek Philippe, Brei

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by gdl203, May 20, 2007.

Tags:
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. DerekS

DerekS Guyliner

holy shit this is brilliant. wonder if my wife will let me pull that off. ;)

2. Cylon

Cylon Senior member

the catch is that I have to give it to him on his 18th/21st birthday/some other milestone.

At first I was selfishly hesitant, but once he was born I can't wait to give it to him [​IMG]

As far as the wife is concerned, shes down for it. Even if a girl comes next, she said well youll have to get something for her husband when she marries. NOW THAT I MAY HAVE A HARD TIME WITH

"HERE IS A QUARTZ TIMEX SIR"

Last edited: Dec 27, 2012
  3. DerekS

DerekS Guyliner

HA!!! i wont find out what were having for a few more months...but im praying its not a girl. if so, i wont need to worry about future husbands...it will be hard for her to meet boys when shes homeschooled and locked in my basement. :nodding:

4. jhcam8

jhcam8 Senior member

Some other gloves:
    [​IMG]

5. Kaplan

Kaplan Senior member

Thanks. I agree, but the sub stayed at home while going to the country for christmas this year :)

(Well, I actually only agree with the Rolex part; no matter how many times Omega pays their way into a Bond movie it'll never make Omega seem Bondian to me - not that I don't appreciate some Omegas. The obvious choice for Bond reading would be a vintage no-date sub, but even more appropriate would this one be, awesome as it is:

[​IMG]

- that's his actual watch, which he seems to have based the description of Bond's watch upon.)

Thanks. The Mark XV is a great watch and I'm glad that I - after a great deal of searching - managed to find what's probably the last one IWC made, NOS'ish (long story). Along with the no-date sub I find it pretty much a perfect watch, but then I have simple tastes in watches :D

:cheers:

6. D M B

D M B Well-Known Member

It's always good to see some watch love. I don't buy and trade watches like I used to, but a few months ago I got the bug and picked up a few vintage pieces. Always a fan of dive watches, I snagged this 1970-ish Fortis Marine Master Supercompressor. Turns out this one was in really good shape.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

At the same time I found an old Tudor Oyster Prince in 34mm.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

7. Keith T

Keith T TWAT Master.

Okay, you've already heard this.....I'm a proud Mark XVI owner....but I definitely give you props on that piece, Kaplan. Pure class.

And Patrick_B you have inspired me to try a Hirsch Liberty on my 2254.50, even though I barfed a little bit reading about your used bracelet experience.

I've always thought that particular Seamaster looks awesome on so many different straps...Zulus are probably my favorite, although it's on Omega rubber at the moment.

I also wore that one on an aftermarket shark-mesh for quite a while, and that was a totally different look, sort of like a smaller PloProf-inspired look, but I thought it was sharp.

Anyway, very versatile sporty watch IMO. Tough as nails in my experience and looks better with the (inevitable) dings and scratches....

All the strap changes keep me from blowing more $$$ on a Planet Ocean, if you know what I mean.

8. Cylon

Cylon Senior member

Whatever the case, congrats are in order [​IMG]

9. patrick_b

patrick_b Senior member

Thanks for all the kind words about my Dad's omega. That's one of the things I like about watches. My kids have both claimed the Seamaster 2254.50 as it has a sea monster on the case back.

Good luck! It is a very versatile piece and mine's been through a lot. The Zulu is my favorite as well. I wear them mostly in summer and toss them once they start to stink.

RE the Don Ginsler oversized strap, I got jealous of all the fun the Panerai guys have with their nice straps. I wanted to emulate the look and figured a $30 strap would be a good experiment.

10. Dino944

Dino944 Senior member

Man you just love those gloves with zippers. I don't think I could feel comfortable with zippers so close to any of my good watches.

Agree completely. Omega has made some great watches. However, just as BMWs never really seemed like Bond cars, Omegas never seem like Bond watches to me. There was a great article (not sure if that is where you got the Flemming Explorer photo) in Watchtime or one of the other watch magazines a few years ago. In addition, on my last trip to Las Vegas I saw some first edition Bond books at a rare book store and several of them were about the price of a new Non-date SubC. I had no idea that 1st edition Flemming novels were fetching that kind of money.

11. phoenixrecon

phoenixrecon Senior member

[​IMG]

Here's a Christmas gift from my gf. Its my first watch of anything worth mentioning.

12. Kaplan

Kaplan Senior member

Dino, I don't recall where I first saw that pic, but it I think it was somewhere on-line regarding a Bond watches exhibition in the US, that had featured this watch among others from the movies. For posting it here I just googled 'flemings explorer'.

As for the books, I'm aware that 1st printings are very pricey, but luckily I don't really care about those. AFAIK they've never been out of print so there've been countless editions, but I really like the designs of the 'Vintage 007' covers - here are the next 5 in the series:

[​IMG]

13. HEPennypacker

HEPennypacker Senior member

Completely agreed. Just didn't want to offend the Omega people, who can probably claim the title of watch seen the most in Bond movies (Seiko has also bought itself several appearances).

Edit: I stand corrected. Omega doesn't appear until the Brosnan movies (along with that sorry BMW Z3): http://watchesinmovies.info/the-watches-of-james-bond/

14. Cylon

Cylon Senior member

Finally found a good pic of the MUTM on a brown strap--why did I worry so much it wouldnt look good?

[​IMG]

15. Warren G.

Warren G. Senior member

same here. I really do love the GMT. A vintage 1675 GILT is on my short list.

I probably posted this pic already, but idk :foo:

[​IMG]

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.