Dismiss Notice

STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

The Watch Appreciation Thread (Reviews and Photos of Men's Timepieces by Rolex, Patek Philippe, Brei

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by gdl203, May 20, 2007.

Tags:
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. in stitches

in stitches Kung Joo Moderator

cool beanz. look forward to seeing what you get.

2. Dino944

Dino944 Senior member

Spent a week recently with this one... liked it. But definitely not more than I like vintage ones.

Overall, I like the new SubC, and I like the green dial. But the colored ceramic bezels, the green on the SS or blue on the white gold Sub, just don't look as good to me as the old colored aluminum bezel inserts, so I'd probably opt for one with a black bezel. Still a great watch!
    Good luck shopping and looking forward to hearing how your search goes.

3. D M B

D M B Well-Known Member

4. HEPennypacker

HEPennypacker Senior member

Splendid...though a Rolex or Omega might be more appropriate for Bond reading ;)

Last edited: Dec 26, 2012

5. ant702

ant702 Senior member

You mean 2say people are posting fakes or even posting watches they don't own! "Nah," I don't believe it[​IMG]

6. Belligero

Belligero Senior member

Aaaah, the perfect GMT II — stainless steel, lug holes, solid-end-link bracelet and an insert option. I've worn the ceramic model, which is certainly a good watch, but I prefer this version. It's slimmer, lighter and just looks completely right. :cheers:

Last edited: Dec 27, 2012

7. DerekS

DerekS Guyliner

dammit kap. I cant tell you how much i love that watch. Ive wanted one since i saw vanilla sky. If i can get some funds scratched together, im 90% sure thats gonna be my next purchase. As much as id like to be patient and save for a nautilus, i know thats doubtful to happen. Im just not that patient.

8. DerekS

DerekS Guyliner

perfection. :thumbsup:

9. dddrees

dddrees Senior member

10. in stitches

in stitches Kung Joo Moderator

D M B & Kap - mmmmmmmmmmmm win!

11. patrick_b

patrick_b Senior member

With all this talk ot potential fakes, here are Couple images of my daily watches. I've owned a handul of mechanical watches over the years but I stopped horsetrading a while back. Per my earlier post of the SD/16610, there are a few that I wish I held onto. I now rotate between the GMTIIC and an Omega Seamaster.

The last one I picked up was the GMTIIC in 08. The SS version had just been released the previous year so they were still hard to find. I travel a fair amount so I'd call AD's in all the cities I visited; SF, SD, Manhattan, Chicago, etc. All had wait lists (including my hometown). I got stuck in Syracuse one night in a storm so I called around and found one in an AD's case. He even gave me a 10% discount, which was unheard of for stainless sports models and especially for in-demand models like the new GMT (at the time). I was ecstatic! I wear this most work days and for business travel. Now I don't have to do all that pesky math from the west to east coast [​IMG].

[​IMG]

The Seamaster was the first mechanical watch I bought in 2000, IIRC. I wear it on a NATO style Maratac strap for water duty (we are sea kayak people). It came with the old Bond style bracelet. At the time, they didn't offer it on the current style. I had to trade a guy on TZ for the "Speedy Style" bracelet. He was nice enough to sent it complete with dead skin and arm hair [​IMG].

[​IMG]

The brown strap is an oversized strap from Don Ginsler. I wanted the look of a beefy strap so I bought the 24mm and notched it to fit the 20mm lugs. It's very ghetto but works for me.

[​IMG]

The last one is a 1969 Omega Chronostop that my mother bought for my father in 1969. It's a unique single pusher chronograph designed to be worn under the wrist for drivers (not divers).The first push starts the central seconds hand and the second push stops & resets it. I don't wear it much but it means a lot as I got it overhauled as a surprise by Omega (Switzerland) for my Dad and he died not long after. I had to source an OEM clasp which had been lost decades before. He still had the original mesh bracelet and I found a guy via TZ for the original style clasp.

[​IMG]

Ad original ad for the watch from the 60's or 70's.

[​IMG]

I could use a chronograph so I've been keeping my eye out for a late 90's early 00's IWC 3713 Doppel Chrono. It's comes in at 42mm which I think is manageable. I always loved the "5 link across/beads of rice" bracelet they came with. The new Doppel is just too big for my taste (and more than I want to spend). I sadly sold off an IWC 3706 Flieger Chrono as well as a Sinn 356 Flieger Chrono, both of which I thought too small at the time. I regret not keeping one of those (the IWC stings the most).

I sold off the 16610 as I didn't think I wanted two diver's watches. The Seamaster filled the same slot and was my first mechanical so the SD was sold to fund the GMTIIC. Once my wife stopped working to stay home with our kids, watch collecting took a back seat...however the kids are 9 & 6 now and she just went back to work...

If you made it this far, thanks for reading.

12. DerekS

DerekS Guyliner

great stuff here. the IIc may be my favorite rolex.

also...that strap is fantastic. Don is a great guy.

13. Dino944

Dino944 Senior member

Great story about your Dad's vintage Omega. I'm glad to hear your got it serviced and sourced the clasp and bracelet. Very cool example. Until your post I don't recall seeing a single pursher chronograph from Omega. Thats a very interesting watch.

I really like the late 90s early 2000s Fliger chrono and 3713 Doppel. Both are great pieces, and I greatly prefer them to what is currently offered in IWCs Pilot line. I also like the early style of braclet that was available on these watches. Its been revised twice and neither is as good looking as the original with the sort of pyramid shaped links. Hope you find one to add to your collection soon.

14. Cylon

Cylon Senior member

Quote: As someone with a 6 month old, I feel your pain but as I am sure you would agree, its a fair trade.

I have a JLC MUT Moon 39 from my wife as a wedding gift

and a Omega Speedy Pro 3572 to commemorate the birth of our first child.

I'm not really sure where my collection will turn to next. I'm currently lusting after some vintage rolex. Either a 1675 GMT on a jubilee, or a 1680 sub. A JLC Reverso is never far from my thoughts either.

Decisions, decisions--but I'll have to wait for a new child, or a promotion or something
    FWIW, I enjoyed the read. [​IMG]

15. Cylon

Cylon Senior member

I'd actually like to see this watch reimagined/cleaned up/simplified

[​IMG]

...I have no idea what they were thinking. Make RDM one watch, and a world timer another.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.