The Watch Appreciation Thread (Reviews and Photos of Men's Timepieces by Rolex, Patek Philippe, Brei

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by gdl203, May 20, 2007.

Tags:
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Dino944

Dino944 Senior member

Maybe everyone should cut Hampton a bit of slack and let him sort out whether his watch is real or not. He stated its "his first Rolex" so perhaps he didn't know what to look for and got duped. If its not real hopefully he can get his $$$ back. I've spotted plenty of fake Rolexs, Cartiers, VCs, from newbies visiting TZ and Watchprosite etc. Sure some people were trying to pull something over the regular posters, others sadly got burned because they didn't know enough about the watch, until after they posted photos.

I think for the most part people here post authentic watches. Hopefully, no one here feels they have anything to prove. Afterall, anyone could simply steal someone's photos from the net and post them pretend its their own. But what is gained from that? There are no real ownership impressions to share, the person can't share much about their research, or their purchasing experience. If its to impress people they never met, they are wasting their time. I'd like to think that everyone visiting this thread is here because they truly enjoy fine watches, whether they own a single watch or a collection that rivals most watch stores. So far most watches I've seen on this thread appear to be real and most of their owners seem to be good guys with great taste in watches.

So lets move back to the topic of great watches.

Below is a photo of one of my favorite dress watches. Its a rose gold manual wind 1972, which has an asymetic shape. I really like the curved case which hugs the wrist and the way they made the top of the deployant asymetric to mirror the case shape.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: Dec 26, 2012

2. Kaplan

Kaplan Senior member

Great watch and pics. Unless you have another sub it seems a shame to have parted with one of the last great Rollies, IMHO.

Question answered by apropos above, just wanted to return the Glædelig Jul :)

Meanwhile, here's my small timer IWC on some light christmas reading:

[​IMG]

3. k4lnamja

k4lnamja Senior member

Can someone tell me the style/model of this watch please?

Cheers

4. Warren G.

Warren G. Senior member

I believe the reference number is 325301

5. in stitches

in stitches Kung Joo Moderator

+1. i think my watchmaker here does crystal replacements like that for about $35. hoozah, if you like the watch, and want to keep wearing it, no reason not to fix it if you can for a reasonable price.

correct. im not gonna say that imo bulovas are hard core watch pr0n, but it was a fair question about watch repair, honest feedback inquiry. no reason not to post that here.

well said. and that VC is just splendid.

6. Axelman 17

Axelman 17 Senior member

Have done some searching around on the site without success so figured I would try here. Interested in purchasing a watch for my fiancee, budget is sub $3K but if I needed to stretch I could. She has requested that it be something on a leather band. I have shown here a few of the obvious candidates like a Rolex Oysterdate/Datejust, some men's watches that seemed small enough to double as a women's watch but she didnt like them. She is looking for something very understated and simple, definitely no diamonds, chronographs, big faces etc. The only watch that she has seen and liked is the Cartier Tank Solo and I would like to at least think through a few other ideas. Thoughts?

7. apropos

apropos Senior member

Off the top of my head, a very good alternative to the Tank Solo is the Omega Lady Constellation, there are a few different sizes available and they are a very discreet and IMO classic design. The all-steel or (gasp) two-tone models in SS/rose gold are very nice.

Another alternative if you are planning to initiate her into the WIS ways is a Revue Thommen Sport 50s or something along those lines - it's just about small enough for a lady at 31mm, IMO has handsome vintage-ey looks, and a wait for it... in-house manual-wind movement.

My fiancee has one... :devil:

[​IMG]

8. in stitches

i have not seen one in a while, but i recall liking the bvlgari b zero 1. i think its in the price range too.

9. in stitches

also, iirc, there are some pretty ladies reversos that can be had in that price point as well.

10. johanm

johanm Senior member

Personally I think Cartier is a no-brainer over Rolex, Omega, etc. The only alternative I would consider is some other fine jeweler like Tiffany's, Van Cleef, etc., but would probably stick to Cartier in any case. If I were to buy a Rolex, it would be a men's Submariner or Daytona, but you would need to make sure that she is into that look.

11. apropos

apropos Senior member

12. Dino944

Dino944 Senior member

Thanks Stitch! [​IMG]
    Interesting design. I think they look pretty good on a woman. My wife really likes there "Serpent" watches with bracelet that coils around the wrist...although those are considerably more than the OPs budget.
    Reversos are a great way to go for a woman. Very elegant, sophisticated, and high quality.
    Women do seem to love Cartier. For my wife's first good watch, we were a bit limited in that my wife won't consider a quartz watch. She thought manual winds are too impractical for everyday for her...so automatic was the way to go. She chose the "large" (althought its not considered large today) automatic Tank Francaise in SS. She has beaten the heck out of it and it still looks good and runs well. She generally perfers jewelry over watches, so she wants something versatile, less common (than a datejust), and more stylish and it worked out great for her. Interestingly her next watch was a steel and rose gold Datejust (even thought she didn't want one as her first watch). I guess as the saying goes, "Women don't change their mind...they simply have a better idea." I think she figured having round watch and one rectangular watch gives her 2 completely different designs.

I'm not that impressed with Tiffany's current watches, I'd go vintage if it was going to be Tiffanys. Van Cleef IMHO makes both higher quality watches (usually using JLC movements) and higher quality jewelry than Tiffanys.

Vintage watches could open up many more avenues for the OP. Simple time only mens watches of the past that are considered small for a man today can often be bought at very good prices even when coming from famous watch houses.

13. poorsod

poorsod Senior member

Cartier Ultra-thin Santos Dumont from Tempvs Fvgit looks similar to the Tank.

http://www.tempvsfvgit.com/For_Sale.html

14. Belligero

Belligero Senior member

[​IMG]
    Spent a week recently with this one... liked it. But definitely not more than I like vintage ones.

15. Axelman 17

Axelman 17 Senior member

Amazingly helpful, thank you all. This thread continues to be a great source of information on watches. If we had more threads like this for clothing, the board would be a better place. Will report back. :slayer:

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.