The Watch Appreciation Thread (Reviews and Photos of Men's Timepieces by Rolex, Patek Philippe, Brei

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by gdl203, May 20, 2007.

Tags:
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Badandy

Badandy Senior member

That is a beautiful AP RO. Matches perfectly with everything in that picture (and most other things you could wear as well).

2. Kaplan

Kaplan Senior member

I agree with much of what's been said about IWC here (mainly that they don't do anything now that they didn't do better before), but that new Inge looks nicer than any they've done since they sadly discontinued the 3227 (it's lifespan of 4 or so years was way too short).

For those interested in IWC and their history, this little book should keep you occupied for a few hours ;-)

[​IMG]

3. HEPennypacker

HEPennypacker Senior member

I agree that the Portuguese is not purely a dress watch nor is it all a sport watch, but I think it has its place. It's a perfectly fine casual/business casual watch.

As for IWC's history of large watches, it certainly goes back farther than the '90s. It begins with their history of large pocket watches from the late 19th and early 20th centuries. As for wristwatches, the current Portuguese is derived from the original 43mm version from the 1930s. The Portofino's history goes back to the 46mm version produced in the late-'70s and '80s. Both were literally pocket watches for the wrist. There's a nice write-up about these two watches and their histories on Time Zone: http://people.timezone.com/library/extras/extras631796534478125000

Of course, some of the IWC models, like the Pilots, have become larger recently. But IWC, probably more than any other manufacture, has a legitimate history of large watches that predates the current trend. They did big back when small was popular.

Last edited: Dec 20, 2012

4. in stitches

in stitches Kung Joo Moderator

my favorite part about IWC is that its the only major swiss watch company that was founded by an american. :slayer:

5. marvin100

marvin100 Senior member

Haha, yeah. Last spring I dropped into the Vienna shop and the guy made a point to mention it to me a couple times.

Add me to the pro-IWC (and pro-large watch) voices. Something about small watches that makes me think of flared pants and pleated slacks--they just seem old (to me--ymmv of course). I can't get down with U-Boats or those huge Ennebis, but 44-46 mm looks great on non-small wrists to my eye.

6. Dino944

Dino944 Senior member

Beautiful photo of your 15400 !!! Great choice enjoy it.

As for your comments about the black dial and size of the Portugese watch going better with your clothes, complexion, hair, and long arms...not sure I see that as being exclusive to the Portugese. Most watches are available in white metals with a black dial, hence one would think if you chose any watch in a white metal with a black dial of a reasonable size it will do the trick.

Whether you like the 7 day is a personal choice. There was another poster here that had a lovely time only version that I find far more attractive. I like watches that do more than just tell time and have other functions, but for me the subdials and date window detract from the 7 day...but thats my 2 cents.
    In the end buy what makes you smile and you will never go wrong.

7. Dino944

Dino944 Senior member

I always thought that was very interesting part of IWC's history.

Last edited: Dec 21, 2012

8. Dino944

Dino944 Senior member

As for the Portguese the time only is the only version that I really like. The 7 day is just not at all useful or attractive to me...but thats just my taste. You might love it and if you do you should get one and enjoy it.

I know about IWCs history and they make good quality watches. They are not the only company that has put pocket watch movements into wristwatch cases. In addition, several companies made oversized watches for WWII pilots. Over the years there have been exceptions to small sized watch from several companies, however the bulk of production, even of IWC's production was average to small sized watches. They even shrunk and revised the Ingenueir SL, one of their most iconic designs, down to about 34-35mms in the 80s just to fit in with slim and small watches. So while they are known for making large watches, particularly today, they are far from being above following the trends...even when it meant going smaller.

I have no axe to grind with IWC. As stated earlier, I used to really like their watches and wanted one. Now I struggle to find a model from them that I really want to buy, and overall when one starts to consider prices and where some of theirs have gone, I think JLC produces a higher quality watch for similar money. Just my 2 cents.

9. HEPennypacker

HEPennypacker Senior member

I agree on JLC. I just wanted to make the point that the Portuguese comes from a long line of large watches, was not designed to respond to the large watch trend, and is not inferior to similarly priced watches. Aesthetically, it might not be to the tastes of some, but others find it quite beautiful. More generally, I think we all agree that IWC is a very respected and respectable watch manufacture, so if something from the current line does appeal to someone, then they can rest assured that they are receiving a quality product.

And with that, I look forward to seeing everyone's latest acquisitions. :cheers:

10. cbusguy

cbusguy Senior member

Can anyone give me some information on this watch? (these are not actual pictures of the watch, but it is identical)

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

The watch has the the number 6162 on the back.

Thanks

11. Kaplan

Kaplan Senior member

My favourite Portuguese:

[​IMG]

Sadly not my pic

12. rnguy001

rnguy001 Senior member

Word.

13. Newcomer

Newcomer Senior member

I don't know what you guys are talking about in regards to the direction of IWC's design department. What says heritage and restraint like this 46mm x 16mm bad boy:

[​IMG]

And some good discussions here lately, I have enjoyed reading them. I sense that I shall have some pr0n here fairly soon, depending on a few factors...

And just for fun, snapped these off recently. Pictures are not the best, but I do put out the effort (clicky for big pics):

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Dec 22, 2012

14. bespoken4me

bespoken4me Senior member

IWC- My favorite, classic line, and agree regarding the Portuguese sun dial size watches. Just wait, the 40mm + market is a fad that most certainly will and is, reverting back to classic sizes which were the desired sizes from beginning of watchmaking til 2000 when watches were discovered by the bling boys as an "accessory". 33-37MM .

[​IMG]

Pics are crap but include a 1946 B &M mechanical, 1974 Omega Speedmaster, and Breitling Crand premier limited. I have a few gold Omegas, white and rose, and Universal geneve from the 40's. All for sale if interested.

15. Hampton

Hampton Senior member

Finally got my first Rolex in my collection. Time to save up for a IWC...
    Then i'll lay low for a while.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.