Dismiss Notice

STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

The Watch Appreciation Thread (Reviews and Photos of Men's Timepieces by Rolex, Patek Philippe, Brei

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by gdl203, May 20, 2007.

Tags:
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. academe

academe Senior member

Next one on my list -- going back and forth between the white gold versus the rose gold (white dial on a brown strap). Not a big fan of the rose gold black dial version.

2. in stitches

in stitches Kung Joo Moderator

usually i like a white gold, but with this i prefer the rose. pics when you kop, of course.

3. NonServiam

NonServiam Senior member

Dug out the Jo Siffert today :satisfied:

[​IMG]

4. dopey

dopey Senior member Dubiously Honored

Beautiful. My Autavia has the dial colors reversed and a rotating diver bezel (and a red sweep chrono hand). I like your dial colors better.

5. NonServiam

NonServiam Senior member

Please post :) I love Autavias, got three of them ...

6. dopey

It's somewhere in this thread. I didn't post my own watch, since I never photographed it, but one identical to mine.

Which others do you have?

7. NonServiam

NonServiam Senior member

Take a pic :)

I have a manual Autavia with Siffert coloring, that is my definite favourite. Cal 72, so it's basically a vintage Daytona (no, it's not :().
    And a silver dialled auto. Pretty rare, I see it much less often than the Siffert. Still usually a lot cheaper.

Autavias are what got me started collecting vintage. Awesome 70s racing aesthetics at reasonable prices :slayer:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

8. dopey

Nice. I have a Minerva Cal. 72 somewhere. I don't know why I never wear it. It is pretty simple without a racing bezel.

I will add the Autavia to the list of things I should photograph, but now finding that Minerva has jumped in priority.

9. Keith T

Keith T TWAT Master.

There's your answer, right?

When it comes to the watch game, it's all about that passion ... and when a specific piece pushes your buttons that way, you're probably going to wind up purchasing it sooner or later regardless. :slayer:

10. Cylon

Cylon Senior member

aint that the truth

11. Keith T

Keith T TWAT Master.

And those Autavias are sweet!

12. Dino944

Dino944 Senior member

I've worn my 15202 almost everyday since I got it in August, and I love it. Its become my favorite watch and I think its one of the best purchases I've ever made. Admittedly I'm not really tough on my watches. Initially, I wondered about its water resistance, but I have several Rolex watches including a Sub that I would wear for more rugged sports.

I own 2 VC dress watches already. I liked their dress watches, but of their sport watches the only one I really like is their original 222 (from the late 1970s early 80s). I've never liked the Overseas all that much. The original was decent looking but had lots of problems with bracelet links locking up (a buddy of mine that collected VCs had a chronograph with lots of problems and eventually dumped it). The second generation is just an oversized ugly watch. The case looks lopsided and heavy, and grew in size just to join the "Look at me I have a giant watch club." The dial is ugly on the time only model (the first generation was more sophisticated), the alternating subdial size design of the chronograph is goofy...then there is the gaudy bracelet. No thanks. I spent a lot of time looking at various models of ROs, Overseas, and PP Nautilus. The Overseas just never seemed to have the quality of finish that the ROs or the Nautilus had.

I'm kind of dissappointed with where IWC has gone in the last 10 years or so.

Actually, the 2120 and 2121 have been used in AP dress watches for decades. In addition, several VC dress watches have also use/used the 1120/1121 (their version of AP's 2120/2121) in dress watches and sport watches for several decades. Sadly, the current version of the movement in the VC just doesn't look as nicely finished to me as in the AP. Even the rotor in the current VC using the 1120 is not as beautifully finished as it used to be when they used that movement.

13. Dino944

Dino944 Senior member

Yes, they are under my homeowners Chubb.

14. in stitches

in stitches Kung Joo Moderator

:nodding:

15. Dino944

Dino944 Senior member

+1

The oversized IWCs of today are just played out and tired...and as you mentioned they seem to be the chosen watch of poseurs. If I were to get an IWC now...it would be vintage.
    Hi Medtech, glad to hear you are enjoying your 15202. As I said in a previous post this is the best purchase I've made. Of the watches the OP mentioned the 15400 is the nicest watch...but it is far from my favorite RO. I like its dial and second hand more on the 15400 (I hated the tail on the old 15300 second hand ...silly I know), but I thought the proportions looked off. Even though they say everything has increased by the same percentage it never looked quite right to me. I felt the bezel and dial looked wrong. I agree with you that its very rare to see a watch where the movement of a smaller watch went into a larger case and it was an improvement. They got everything right with the new 15202 and the finish of the case and bracelet is much finer than I've seen on any sports watches. The 15202 is just a real pleasure to wear.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.