1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

The Watch Appreciation Thread (Reviews and Photos of Men's Timepieces by Rolex, Patek Philippe, Brei

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by gdl203, May 20, 2007.

Tags:
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. in stitches

in stitches Senior member Moderator

Stefan88 - not the best pic ever, but looks legit.

that 9 should be flipped. the numbers for me, should be as if they were written in a straight line, and then bent into a circle by pulling the end down and attaching it to the back of the 1. so essentially, there really is no flipping at all.

Last edited: May 6, 2013
  2. dopey

dopey Senior member Dubiously Honored

This is a perpetual debate. really, there should be a definitive essay describing the different approaches and which one is really better (not joking). Clearly, on rotating bezels and when you have numerals only at the quadrants, you don't flip. But when, if ever, is it ok to flip? I think you should treat each numeral like a ferris wheel car and it should always hang straight (there is a design term for treating design elements as real objects, but I forget it)..

3. Dino944

Dino944 Senior member

Happy birthday! You've got a great wife and now a great watch! Congrats and enjoy it.
    I think thats a slightly better version, but even as someone that loves asymmetric dials or watch cases, this watch just doesn't sit well with me.

Mimo, what can I say...it isn't easy being Dino...but I do my best ! [​IMG]

Quote:
    Agreed!
    At 38mm thats quite unusual for a vintage watch. Keep us posted Roger, I hope the deal works out for you.
    Frills, I've tried on the 3970 in the past. No doubt about it its a beauty. Yes, some collectors may have issues with the case height to diameter ration, but no watch can be everything to everyone.

Regarding the mole comment, supermodels have a reputation for being high maintenance so why settle for one with a defect? Its like buying a nearly perfect vintage watch and accepting one with stain on the dial. Sorry, I'd rather wait for a perfect version even if it costs more. As for Kate Upton, now thats my kind of supermodel !!! A perfect case shape, and no imperfection on the dial, like a dot that could start growing hair or be a sign she is ready for a part as the Wicked Witch of the West.

1 person likes this.
  4. apropos

apropos Senior member

Ah, but on that watch the, er, links will, er, loosen and stretch with time... Think about those saggy links, which will make an aged Jubilee look positively, um, perky.

A wise man once told me - getting a nice looking, er, watch is a young man's game. After a certain point in your life, it's less about what the, um, watch looks like and rather more about (wink wink) what the watch will do... [​IMG]

2 people like this.
  5. Cylon

Cylon Senior member

OF ALL IMAGES TO HAVE A BROKEN LINK!?!?!?

6. suaviter

suaviter Senior member

This is new? I have been looking and retail on the Sapphire Sandwich version is much, much higher than that.

7. in stitches

the ferris wheel i deal is neat, sound like it would look good too. the main thing to me is that when you look at the number, it is clear what it is, and that the presentation be pleasing to the eye.

8. Newcomer

Newcomer Senior member

Well, the Sapphire Sandwich is, indeed, more. From an AD with discount, a regular ole' hesalite Speedy is around $3,300. I just saw a posting yesterday with a lightly used Speedy for ~$2,200. The deals are out there.

9. in stitches

also......

[​IMG]

sadly, thats all i got. bought it from the bay for fun.

10. dopey

11. Newcomer

Newcomer Senior member

Well executed ferris wheel:

[​IMG]

Badly executed ferris wheel:

[​IMG]

I think it is the font of the 9 that is the problem... if you are going to ferris wheel, you have to have a font where a nine is clearly a nine.

12. DerekS

DerekS Senior member

hesalite is the only way to go on a speedy.....of course just my opinion. :)

13. Dino944

Dino944 Senior member

I once heard a comedian say, "I've been married 20 years. You know what that means? It means she knows what I like,...and I know what she won't do!"
    They used to include the anchor when you bought a Submariner. It doesn't actually do anything.

14. in stitches

a little doodad that i think used to come with a sub when you bought it.

even on the top pic i think the 9 looks too close to a 6 to me.

i have always liked the rolex dials in that i find that there is no question as to what each digit is, the look is congruous and easy on the eye, no out of place or "flipped" numbers... i think they do this very well. excellent actually, imo.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

15. Newcomer

Newcomer Senior member

I got a hesalite speedy. Hesalite or bust. Personally, I love acrylic, especially on a sports watch. Cleans up easy, cheap to replace, and does not have a chance of shattering. Plus, it gives the speedy such a nice glow.

1 person likes this.
  16. Newcomer

Newcomer Senior member

The second datejust with baby blue arabic numerals has always confused me. I understand what they are doing... and I know that the ferris wheel approach would look silly... but I just do not enjoy that organization of arabic numerals on the dial. It just looks wrong to my eyes. And this is PURELY a personal thing.

I vastly prefer the "straight up and down approach:"

[​IMG]

2 people like this.
  17. in stitches

this is how i would view a ferris wheel, assuming the 9 would be standing straight up if it were there.

[​IMG]

now, these are dials, not sub-dials, but the idea is the same i think.

18. dopey

This is what I meant by the ferris wheel approach (not what you posted earlier). Each numeral hangs straight, like a ferris wheel car that pivots as the wheel rotates. What you posted shows how the numeral orientation radiates from the center and flips as it gets to the lower semi-circle.

19. ChicagoRon

ChicagoRon Senior member

A true ferris wheel would have every number in the same direction as 12. Most clock faces are done like this, so it's not novel - however the calendar has so many more numbers, it might be too crowded.

[​IMG]

20. in stitches

yes, i agree. i was just saying that if you are going to be bending numbers, that is the way i like it.

it seems that almost everyone does the sideways 9 on a perp cal and they all look like a 6 to me. AP seems to be the only one i saw in my quick search that does it the way i think looks nicer and makes more sense. i think the top one is a fantastic looking dial all around. very congruent and fluid.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

alternatively, there is this option, which entirely removes the issue.

[​IMG]

1 person likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.